[comp.sys.amiga] HELP!! Deluxe Music Construction Set.

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (03/10/88)

This question was probably answered LOOOOOOONNNG ago but i need the help.

How do you get Deluxe Music Construction Set to behave on a 2000? I have
installed it on my hard disk (spent the $20 and bought the unprotected backup
disk) and it DOES RUN...BUT... if I move a window gadget even a tiny bit, on
exit the system freezes (no mouse movement WHATSOEVER). Vulcan Nerve Pinch
sometimes doesn't take either. I thought maybe running the NoFastMem would
solve the problem, but the same thing occurs.

I'm running GOMF 2.0 and CONMAN 1.1 on my system. Could any of those be
causing it (I's hate to remove either because they are both tremendously
useful).

Any help is appreciated.

                                         Larry Greenwald
UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
   WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
   OH SHUT UP! You bubble-headed booby!!!
                          -- Dr. Zachary Smith, forever "Lost in Space"

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/12/88)

In article <2651@crash.cts.com> lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
>This question was probably answered LOOOOOOONNNG ago but i need the help.
>
>How do you get Deluxe Music Construction Set to behave on a 2000? I have
>installed it on my hard disk (spent the $20 and bought the unprotected backup
>disk) and it DOES RUN...BUT... if I move a window gadget even a tiny bit, on
>exit the system freezes (no mouse movement WHATSOEVER). Vulcan Nerve Pinch
>sometimes doesn't take either. I thought maybe running the NoFastMem would
>solve the problem, but the same thing occurs.
>
>I'm running GOMF 2.0 and CONMAN 1.1 on my system. Could any of those be
>causing it (I's hate to remove either because they are both tremendously
>useful).

It never ceases to amaze me that people keep asking questions like this.
At ASDG, we continually get calls with questions like:

	User: "your <so and so> product doesn't work on my machine"
	Me: "Oh, are you running anything else at the time of the failure?"
	User: "Well, I'm running <x + x +x>^2 PD hack, could that be a problem?"
	Me: "Did you try running without them?"
	User "No, could that really make a difference?"

The answer is: Yes!!!

This should be rule one in anyone's book of debugging their Amiga
environment. It's a simple process of elimination - who knows if you'll
*have* to permanently remove those utilities you love, but you're certainly
gonna have to try running without them to see if it makes a difference.
Some utilities may eat chip memory that some other application desperately
needs, or may grab some other critical resource. If you start afresh, the
problem will be much easier to track down.

>Any help is appreciated.
>
>UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/18/88)

One more note about debugging problems with commercial software packages.
If the product fails after you've installed it onto one of your own disks
or a hard disk - check the original startup-seqeunce from the manfacturer.
You should actually go through the original Startup-Sequence with a fine
toothed comb *before* you attempt to install it locally. Sometimes a
publisher will forget to include detailed instructions on installing their
product on other disks or will forget to include one line in their instructions.
Make sure that you are doing all the right Assigns, running things in their
proper sequence and most importantly, have an adequate stack size...

Eric
ASDG Incorporated