[comp.sys.amiga] Speaking of power supplies

klutz@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Clutter) (03/18/88)

Hmm,  my previous (or soon to come article depending on the
spoolers) blasting the A500 (and more generally Commodore's)
power supplies was meant to be a E-mail reply.

My nose got bent because I brought my A500 system into work to
show it off.  Imagine my horror and chagrin when it wouldn't come up
on the Workbench (read/write failures).  Every disk put in had the
exact same problem.  Of course, being a avid reader of the net, I
was aware of the failings attributed to the A500 power supply.

Trial and Error showed that when the external drive (Commodore
1010), internal 512K memory expansion (Microrobotics), and RGB
Monitor (Commodore ~1080) were all connected up, I would see
read/write failures.  Power down the monitor, type blind and no
read/write failures (checked by turning the monitor back on).

Obviously, the folks I work with/for were extremely unimpressed.

We (a fellow amiga person and myself) were trying to get our
department to invest in an Amiga as a front end for a HP LaserJet
printer. If we could get just one in this building, we felt that the
system would sell itself to other departments.  Oh well.

o   o
 \_/		Sherwin Clutter
 (")		ihlpm!klutz
}=@={		AT&T-BL, Naperville IL
_/ \_

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (03/18/88)

In article <1774@ihlpm.ATT.COM> klutz@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Clutter) writes:
>My nose got bent because I brought my A500 system into work to
>show it off.  Imagine my horror and chagrin when it wouldn't come up
>.
>.
>Obviously, the folks I work with/for were extremely unimpressed.
>.
>We (a fellow amiga person and myself) were trying to get our
>department to invest in an Amiga as a front end for a HP LaserJet
>printer. If we could get just one in this building, we felt that the
>system would sell itself to other departments.  Oh well.

   Folks, take this story as a cautionary tale:

		Rule 1: Demos Always Fail

I have moved my 500 all around and never, ever seen power supply
problems. Point is, the moment i go to demo it i guess it will
fail. If you want to show your amiga off, ESPECIALLY to people
who might make a purchasing decision, set it up behind closed
doors and make sure it works. People never get over a bad
first impression, esp. if the machine does not have an
IBM or Apple logo on it.

--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)