[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap A2000 Hard drive..where?

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (03/14/88)

Where can I get an inexpensive hard drive setup for an Amiga 2000?
Do I have to go and get a controller too?  I would not like to get
Commodore's brand, because I heard that it's DMA interrupts go buggy
with overscan and other nonstandard timing changes (is that true?).
When I say inexpensive, I am talking from the point of view that for a
IBM, you can get a drive for $300 (20-30mb) and controller for $100-200,
but when I see ads for Amiga drives, I see combined prices of $700 or
higher.
Tanks and planes,
-------
    ____  _   __  __   __                             \Marc Rifkin    \
   /   / /|  /_  /   / \    of \      /                \R38@PSUVM.EDU  \
  /---  /-| /__ /_/ /  _\       \\  //                  \132 Beaver Hall\
 /    \                          \\// E R T E C H  , Inc.\Univ. Park, Pa.\
        "No Matter Where You go,  \/  --=======--         \16802          \
         There You Are." -BB & MM                          \814-862-6892   \

In article <35998R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>Where can I get an inexpensive hard drive setup for an Amiga 2000?

Pick up an issue of Computer Shopper, InfoWorld or PCWeek.   Seagate,
Micropolis and actually most drives in there are heavily discounted.

>Do I have to go and get a controller too?  I would not like to get
>Commodore's brand, because I heard that it's DMA interrupts go buggy
>with overscan and other nonstandard timing changes (is that true?).

Not true any more.  It was with now obsolete version of the driver.
I have used a seagate-251 (40M) with the A2090 for over 4 months now
without a glitch.  And with the FFS it really FLIES!

>When I say inexpensive, I am talking from the point of view that for a
>IBM, you can get a drive for $300 (20-30mb) and controller for $100-200,
>but when I see ads for Amiga drives, I see combined prices of $700 or
>higher.

Disks for the Amiga are half-height IBM-PC compatible.  The Seagate 251 can
be had for about $380. The controller is more expensive, though it supports
MUCH more than an IBM-PC compatible Western Digital controller.  The A2090
supports up to 2 ST506 drives and up to 7 SCSI drives.

-- Marco

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/16/88)

Are there any SCSI drives not so terribly overpriced as
them I've seen?

Seems like everything you may connect to a Macintosh can
be priced VERY high, since you anyway payed for an over-
priced MAC, you fool...

I have seen RLL 100 meg 28 ms drives for about 60% of the
price for a comparable SCSI drive. I can understand that
smaller drives differ a hundred dollar due to more intelli-
gence (?) in a SCSI drive, but the difference need not to
increase to one thousand dollar on large drives!

So, are there any 70meg+ drives for Amiga (also MFM drives
are interesting, if cheap) that you folks can recommend?
(Then I of course have the problem of getting it here to
sweden)

dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Phillip Ghormley) (03/19/88)

In article <35998R38@PSUVM>, R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
> Do I have to go and get a controller too?  I would not like to get
> Commodore's brand, because I heard that it's DMA interrupts go buggy
> with overscan and other nonstandard timing changes (is that true?).

Yes, is that true?  Has anyone out there had any serious problems with this
sort of thing?  (and is it fixable?)

-Doug Ghormley
 (dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu)

In article <AWEQCdy00Uo58QE0Rj@andrew.cmu.edu| dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Phillip Ghormley) writes:
|In article <35998R38@PSUVM|, R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
|| Do I have to go and get a controller too?  I would not like to get
|| Commodore's brand, because I heard that it's DMA interrupts go buggy
|| with overscan and other nonstandard timing changes (is that true?).
|  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Yes, is that true?  Has anyone out there had any serious problems with this
|sort of thing?  (and is it fixable?)

No it not true, and it has been that way for at least 6-7 months.  One of the
earlier hddisk device drivers had the problem with overscan.  An updated
device driver was also posted on usenet at the time it was fixed.  This is
probably available where all amiga binaries are stored (purdue?).  Can
anybody confirm this?

As I have said repeatedly before, I never had ANY problem with the A2090 and
overscan, and I use overscan often with Digi-Weather images (704x480).

-- Marco