[comp.sys.amiga] Voting for comp.sys.amiga.tech

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/12/88)

Voting for comp.sys.amiga.tech, after (almost) one week.  Voting will
continue until April 4 or so.  Current total: 104-14 in favor.

If you have a preference as to whether or not comp.sys.amiga.tech
should be created, please send me mail.

..Bob

YES votes:

?? ??			ndmath!nj
?? ??			neal@cs.rochester.edu
?? ??			rpa@ukc.ac.uk
?? ??			sdsu!lindwall@ucsd.edu
?? ??			vlsisj!denis@parcvax.xerox.com
Gavin Bell		gab@Princeton.EDU
Ranjit Bhatnagar	ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Charles Brown		charles%hpcvcaj@hplabs.HP.COM
Carl Bruggeman		iuvax!bruggema@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Richard Carreiro	rlcarr@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Mark Carroll		mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu
Yuan Chang		yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Mike Cherry		cherry%husc4@harvard.harvard.edu
Kenneth Chiu		kenchiu@phoenix.princeton.edu
Charles Cleveland	gtss!chas
Jonathan Colby		jacc%tekigm2.men.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Dave Corbin		davidc@yak.gatech.edu
Bernie Cosell		cosell@WILMA.BBN.COM
David Coster		dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Eric Cotton		cbmvax!eric
Peter DaSilva		nuchat!peter
Rolf Danielsson		log-hb!rolfd@uunet.UU.NET
Kim DeVaughn		kim@uts.amdahl.com
Ethan Dicks		erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Matt Dillon		dillon@cory.Berkeley.EDU
Roger Egeberg		ncegeber%NDSUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Thomas Folk		folk%bgsu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Andrew Folkins		alberta!andrew
Blaine Gardner		esunix!blgardne
Douglas Ghormley	dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu
Gary Godfrey		sundc!yendor!gmg
Jacob Gore		gore@eecs.nwu.edu
Randy Groves		randy@BOEING.COM
Tad Guy			tadguy@amon-re.cs.odu.edu
Joe Hamlin		hamlin@afit-ab.arpa
Hans Hansen		intel!mipon3.uux!ames!hah
Peter Hansen		phansen%1302.watstar.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Roger Hayes		rogerh@arizona.edu
Gary Heffelfinger	disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
Kenneth Herron		agollum@engr.uky.edu
David Herron		david@ms.uky.edu
Craig Hubley		craig@unicus.com
Rodney Huffman		rhuffman@aa.ecn.purdue.edu
Bob Huish		huish@genral.dec.com
Howard Hull		hull@hao.ucar.edu
Kurt J. Lidl		smaug@eneevax.umd.edu
Randell Jesup		jesup@life.pawl.rpi.edu
Eric Johnson		esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric Kennedy		ejkst%unix.CIS.PITTSBURGH.EDU@VB.CC.CMU.EDU
Bill Kinnersley		well!wkinner
Bjorn Knutsson		bjornk@bula.se
Larry Kollar		dcatla!mclek
Milt Lane		DrChance@cup.portal.com
Eric Lavitsky		eric@topaz.rutgers.edu
Hung Le			mott%ucscd.UCSC.EDU@ucscc.UCSC.EDU
Doug Leavitt		dougl@ism780c.isc.com
Ed Leonhardt		edl@trwind.ind.trw.com
Lyle Levine		wuphys!lel
Rob McConeghy		malibo@arizona.edu
Chuck McManis		sun!cmcmanis
Robert McNicholas	rm2t+@andrew.cmu.edu
Mike Meyer		mwm@violet.Berkeley.EDU
A.R. Michael		arm@ukc.ac.uk
Andrew Milburn		andy@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Ross Miller		ross@swan.ulowell.edu
Rich Miner		miner@dino.ulowell.edu
Stephen Moehle		well!sjm
Gregory Mumm		gregm@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Bryce Nesbitt		bryce@eris.Berkeley.EDU
Gunnar Nordmark		drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se
Howard Owen		hbo@hub.ucsb.edu
Bob Page		page@swan.ulowell.edu
Patrick Palmer		arxt@sphinx.uchicago.edu
Marco Papa		papa%pollux.usc.edu@oberon.USC.EDU
Patrice Parris		parris@CAF.MIT.EDU
Colin Plumb		watmath!ccplumb
Michael Portuesi	mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu
Walter Reed		ncreed%NDSUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Rob Rimbold		rimbold@dino.ulowell.edu
Lawrence Rosenman	Lawrence_E_Rosenman@cup.portal.com
Lee Sailer		UH2%PSUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
J.Allen Schones		occrsh!jal
Leo Schwab		well!ewhac
Dave Shaver		shaver%iowa-state.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Avery Shealey		conn@stratus.gatech.edu
Chris Siebenmann	cks%radio.toronto.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Mark Smith		msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu
K.J.W. Smithers		kjws@ukc.ac.uk
Randy Spencer		spencer@mica.Berkeley.EDU
Guy Starner		ihlpg!starner
Don Steiner		steiner@mcc.com
Rick Sterling		cbmvax!sterling
Phil Stone		eos!phil
Kenneth Suh		suh@cunixc.columbia.edu
Mitchell Sundt		sundt@june.cs.washington.edu
Kari Sutela		LK-KARI%FINTUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Richard Thomson		thomson@cs.utah.edu
Fred Walter		grwalter%watcgl.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Patrick White		ain@s.cc.purdue.edu
Dave White		backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
Matt Wood		mwood@emx.utexas.edu
Eachus			eachus@mitre-bedford.ARPA
may			may%husc7@harvard.harvard.edu
Roger			roger@cup.portal.com

NO votes:

?? ??			atheybey@PTT.LCS.MIT.EDU
Bryan Baterdorffer	bryan@rodan.cs.utexas.edu
William Byrd		web@PRC.Unisys.COM
David Carter		gt4785b@pyr.gatech.edu
Brent Coghlan		alberta!brant
Bob Deen		rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov
Leslie Dent		lad@rti.rti.org
Elliot Itkin		itkin@stsci.arpa
Rex Jolliff		rex@otto.lvsun.com
Robin LaPasha		ecsvax!ruslan@mcnc.org
Ali Ozer		ali@polya.stanford.edu
Joseph Piazza		jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU
Rick Richardson		pcrat!rick
Bob Webber		webber@aramis.rutgers.edu
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"Why?  It's the heat."	-- Laurie Anderson

craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) (03/15/88)

In article <5403@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Voting for comp.sys.amiga.tech, after (almost) one week.  Voting will
>continue until April 4 or so.  Current total: 104-14 in favor.

Looks like it's a go.  However, the initial call for votes was about its
existence, and explicitly stated that its name would be decided later.
Furthermore, in the meantime, a comp.sys.amiga.tech group was created
that has poor propagation (though it *does* reach this site).

Speaking for myself, I feel that we should either name the group
comp.sys.amiga.wizards (in line with the precedent unix.wizards)
or, if we insist upon ignoring it as did comp.sys.mac.programmer,
at least pick a name that compliments CATS and other providers of
signal and will intimidate somewhat the atari-amiga flame warriors,
as well as having some connection with the Amiga's heritage.
`tech' does none of these things, and is an abbreviation to boot.

I suggest comp.sys.amiga.gurus, which I think has been suggested before.
When people have to think about `does it belong there', then they think
`am I a guru ?', or `did this cause a guru ?', which is about right.

	Craig Hubley, Unicus Corporation, Toronto, Ont.
	craig@Unicus.COM				(Internet)
	{uunet!mnetor, utzoo!utcsri}!unicus!craig	(dumb uucp)
	mnetor!unicus!craig@uunet.uu.net		(dumb arpa)

bryce@eris (Bryce Nesbitt) (03/16/88)

In article <> craig@Unicus.COM (Craig D. Hubley) writes:
>In article <> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>
>Looks like it's a go.  However, the initial call for votes was about its
>existence, and explicitly stated that its name would be decided later.

No.  I made the initial proposal, and it was for ".tech".  The voting
for this group has a long and tortured history.  Compared to creating
a group, however, changing the name is easy.

>I suggest comp.sys.amiga.gurus, which I think has been suggested before.
>When people have to think about `does it belong there', then they think
>`am I a guru ?', or `did this cause a guru ?', which is about right.

The distinction I wish to see is "Am I creating some new {software,hardware}?".
".tech" is for the Bit Twiddling & Structure-Swapping crowd to work out how
to best twiddle & swap on the Amiga.  "How to get CMD_READ to work in
my new harddisk.device", "Here's how to write a virus" would be acceptable.

	>>> BEGINNER'S QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME in .tech, provided that	<<<
	>>> they are about how to get things done, programatically 	<<<
	>>> speaking.							<<<

".amiga" is for discussion on a less arcane level.  "How to hook up a
hard drive" and "what is a virus", for example.

>>>  ".tech" is is net-limbo at the moment.  Be sure to cast your votes
>>>	to: 	page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page)

|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{O_o} .     Bryce Nesbitt
 (")        BIX: mleeds (temporarily)
  U	    USENET: bryce@eris.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!eris!bryce

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/17/88)

In article <2372@unicus.UUCP>, craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) writes:
> I suggest comp.sys.amiga.gurus, which I think has been suggested before.
> When people have to think about `does it belong there', then they think
> `am I a guru ?', or `did this cause a guru ?', which is about right.

I'll second the nomination... I like it better than my suggestion of the
singular, .guru.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

spencer@eris (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (03/19/88)

Recently on *comp.sys.amiga.tech* bryce@eris (Bryce Nesbitt) wrote:
...".amiga" is for discussion on a less arcane level.  "How to hook up a
...hard drive" and "what is a virus", for example.

I don't know, I think that there is going to be alot of time spent in this
group sending messages like:

" If you want to ask questions about when 1.4 is going to be released,
  please confine you postings to comp.sys.amiga "

Of course I might be wrong...
...>>>  ".tech" is is net-limbo at the moment.  Be sure to cast your votes
...>>>	to: 	page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page)
...{O_o} .     Bryce Nesbitt

Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

In article <7813@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.berkeley.edu (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) writes:

>I don't know, I think that there is going to be alot of time spent in this
>group sending messages like:
>
>" If you want to ask questions about when 1.4 is going to be released,
>  please confine you postings to comp.sys.amiga "

No. That can be mailed, not posted.

Yours is the first posting to .tech that had no technical content.

--
            "It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition"
                        richard@gryphon.CTS.COM