[comp.sys.amiga] DNET ... who's doing what?

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (03/19/88)

[ "Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."   --Bob Page ]

I had just gotten Matt's dnet up and working between the 1000 and the 2000,
when my 1080 monitor went ftzzzzt ... no horizontal sweep, so I haven't
used it too much yet.  What I saw of it I liked though, so I imagine some
of you are bussily working on client/server pairs.

The question's in the subject line:  who's doing what?  No sense in everyone
working on the same thing, so drop me a line, or post a short description, and
I'll summarize in a week or so.

Now the bigger question (for me) ... is *anyone* doing a SysV port of Matt's
code.  I'm not much on getting such ports to work, so I hope someone else is
doing this (unfortunately, we don't have a BSD system).

#enter EDITORIAL mode

From the A2500/A3000 posting, looks like CBM has decided to go with SVR3 (I
guess that's what "Unix 5.3" is supposed to mean).  Too bad.  I wonder how
they will deal with the damnable 14-character filename limit?  Grrrrr ...

#end EDITORIAL mode

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/19/88)

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) wrote:
>I had just gotten Matt's dnet up and working between the 1000 and the 2000,
>when my 1080 monitor went ftzzzzt ... no horizontal sweep, so I haven't

Wow, DNET fried your monitor?  That's some high-powered software, Matt. :-)

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (03/20/88)

In article <24959@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>#enter EDITORIAL mode
>
>From the A2500/A3000 posting, looks like CBM has decided to go with SVR3 (I
>guess that's what "Unix 5.3" is supposed to mean).  Too bad.  I wonder how
>they will deal with the damnable 14-character filename limit?  Grrrrr ...
>
>#end EDITORIAL mode

Why, of course, like A/UX, it will be a System V/Berkeley clone, combining
the best features of both (*is* there a good feature of System V???).  And of
course it will be superior to A/UX in that AmigaDos applications will run
underneath it.  It will also provide access to an intuition-like library
so your Unix programs can have nice graphic interfaces. And it will have NFS,
and X-windows R11, and it will have online documentation. And there will be
a great hypertext program bundled with it. And it will have these things at
less cost than a MacII so that people will buy it rather than a MacII.

Of course.

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Empire Maniac        {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean