[comp.sys.amiga] A small responce to baer's flame

cjs@oberlin.UUCP (chris seline) (03/18/88)

I recently received a personal mail message  from a  fellow named Ken
Baer, an animation  programmer.   He said  my comment  on the Amiga's
lack of decent  software was  a year  out of  date, and  that the MAC
couldn't come close to the Amiga when it came to animation.

All well and good, but I'm not a television station.  I  have no need
to produce animation.   I  want a  computer that  has great software,
better than the MAC's.  The Amiga doesn't.

Chris Seline
ihnp4!oberlin!cjs

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (03/21/88)

In article <706@oberlin.UUCP> cjs@oberlin.UUCP (chris seline) writes:

>I recently received a personal mail message  from a  fellow named Ken
>Baer, an animation  programmer.   He said  my comment  on the Amiga's
>lack of decent  software was  a year  out of  date, and  that the MAC
>couldn't come close to the Amiga when it came to animation.
>
>All well and good, but I'm not a television station.  I  have no need
>to produce animation.   I  want a  computer that  has great software,
>better than the MAC's.  The Amiga doesn't.
>
>Chris Seline
>ihnp4!oberlin!cjs

You missed my point Chris (I mean Mr. Seline :-).  You're making unfair
comparisons.  The Mac has had a 2 year headstart and should have a better
software base.  And I agree that the number of decent WP programs for the
Amiga is embarassingly small.  But, in the last 6 months there has been
a flood of good, powerful, and high quality programs for the Amiga.  This
is especially true in areas where the Amiga excels, like music and animation.
Also, at this point in the Amiga's evolution, I don't think it's really fair
to say either the Mac's or the Amiga's software is "better."  While the Mac
sofware base is much bigger, and they have the edge in WP and Desktop
Publishing programs, there are many packages for the Amiga that are better
than similar packages for the Mac.
	I think you are also making your comparisons based on the state of
Amiga software as it was last summer.  Things have changed pretty dramatically
since then.  Of course the Amiga still has quite a way to go, but it's
finally being given the chance to show off its strengths.  You should get
involved with an Amiga usergroup, Chris.  I think there's one in Cleveland.
It's a good way to keep up with your machin.  Remember, Oberlin is on a
different temporal plane than the rest of the world :-).

-Ken Baer. (Oberlin '87)
--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Weird, the Weird go Professional