From osu-cis!kumiss!erd Tue Mar 15 02:15:35 1988
From: Ethan Dicks <erd@kumiss.UUCP>
To: osu-cis!tut!erd
Date: Tue Mar 15 00:16:04 1988
Subject: test message

Testing once again...

-ethan

I still have not worked the bugs out of the system yet, but I should soon
be able to collect messages on my own machine!  I am using the port of
GnUUCP from William Lufton at Unisys and am having some difficulties getting
it to work reliably.  Specifically, out of 5 tries with the _same_ binary
and configure text files, it worked _once_ (almost).  I keep getting the
GURU with a trap 3 (address error), but at different places in the
conversation.  I would be happy to abandon this buggy code, it only I had an
alternative. (UUPC don't talk right to osu-cis - a 3b2)  Does anyone have any
suggestions as to why I might be getting lots of odd address traps, even
with the PC up in the WCS range?  BTW, I am using Lattice 4.0 (at the Physics
Demonstration Lab - I can't afford it yet :-(, so my compile cycle is really
long.

Thanks,
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks      | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Specialized Software|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

wpl@anarchy.PRC.Unisys.COM (William P Loftus) (03/16/88)

From article <8318@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks):

> I still have not worked the bugs out of the system yet, but I should soon
> be able to collect messages on my own machine!  I am using the port of
> GnUUCP from William Lufton at Unisys and am having some difficulties getting
                      ^^^^^^ Loftus
> it to work reliably.  Specifically, out of 5 tries with the _same_ binary
> and configure text files, it worked _once_ (almost).  I keep getting the
> GURU with a trap 3 (address error), but at different places in the
> conversation.

   Your message has started me thinking about a revision of UUCP.  I am
concerned with the "5 tries."  I have been running the UUCP with  vaxes, and
my Amiga for 4 months now without a single failure (I'm talking not even one), so
I was quite suprised to here of your problem.  If people want to give me
accounts on other types of machines I will be willing to login and test AmigaUUCP.
I know you sent me some bug reports (that have been fixed), but I didn't know
that your were getting transmition failures.

> I would be happy to abandon this buggy code, it only I had an
> alternative. (UUPC don't talk right to osu-cis - a 3b2)  Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to why I might be getting lots of odd address traps, even
> with the PC up in the WCS range?  BTW, I am using Lattice 4.0 (at the Physics
> Demonstration Lab - I can't afford it yet :-(, so my compile cycle is really
> long.
>
> Thanks,
> -ethan

If anyone who got the beta test of UUCP (not UUPC) from me and is having problems
can you send me a report?  Please include in the report the type of machine,
amount of memory, your config and L.sys file, and your phone number.

Thanks,
William Loftus

ps. To prove I can send and recieve mail (without failure) people can send
mail to me at wpl@creation.prc.unisys.com  (My amiga) and I will reply.

William P Loftus			UUCP:   wpl@burdvax.UUCP
Unisys/Paoli Research Center		ARPA: 	wpl@anarchy.prc.unisys.com
PO Box 517				BITNET: 202527899@VUVAXCOM
Paoli, PA 19301                         215-648-7248 (work) 215-354-0614 (home)

nic@marque.mu.edu (Nic Bernstein) (03/21/88)

In article <8318@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) writes:

>After several months of trying, I finally got a message through from my
>Amiga to my account at OSU.
>
>I am using the port of GnUUCP from William Lufton at Unisys and am having
>some difficulties getting

>I would be happy to abandon this buggy code, it only I had an
>alternative. (UUPC don't talk right to osu-cis - a 3b2)
>
>Thanks,
>-ethan

	I've also been having problems getting UUPC to talk to AT&T UUCP.
    We've got a 3B1 here at work, and when I try to call it from home UUPC
    only gets as far as sending the password, and then just sits there.
    When I set the debugging level of UUCICO high on the 3B1 I found that
    it was sending "SHere=dworld" and getting no reply.  After about 30
    seconds everything times out and UUPC hangs up.  I'm using the version
    of UUPC (1.8 Camelot) just posted to the net, but I also had this
    problem with the original UUPC port.

	While I'm at it... When I unshared the first part of UUPC, one of
    readme files had nothing but a header, no text.  Unshar didn't complain
    about this at all, so I asume this is the way it was when it was
    shared.  Was there anything important in that file?

	Anyhow, if anyone knows why UUPC won't talk to the AT&T UUCP please
    shed some light on this.  It would be really nice top be able to have
    UUPC/amicron do all my file transfers for me while I was on my way home
    at night :-).

					Thanks-
--

				-Nic Bernstein