[comp.sys.amiga] Choice Memory or Hard Drive?

samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) (02/27/88)

I have to make a choice, for my Amiga 1000.  Due to economic
limitations I can only purchase a memory expansion...or a
hard drive.  Which do you think should be given priority,
if it has to one or the other for now?  Would also appreciate
any recommendations, based upon satisfactory performance, of
either, or both of those devices.  Forgot to mention that my
1000 at present has 512K.  Thanks for any advice or leads!

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (02/29/88)

In article <3158@dasys1.UUCP> samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
>I have to make a choice, for my Amiga 1000.  Due to economic
>limitations I can only purchase a memory expansion...or a
>hard drive.  Which do you think should be given priority,
>if it has to one or the other for now?  Would also appreciate
>any recommendations, based upon satisfactory performance, of
>either, or both of those devices.  Forgot to mention that my
>1000 at present has 512K.  Thanks for any advice or leads!

I'd go with the hard drive first.  If you get memory, fine, you'll be able to
run more programs at once etc. but you'll probably have to keep swapping
floppies to load them in and things will be none too fast.  (You didn't
mention how many floppy drives you had).  However, if you go with the hard
drive, you will notice a significant speed up in the environment, and although
you can't keep as many programs resident at one time, loading them will be
a lot quicker.  This is my opinion and someone's sure to disagree.

	Steve

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (03/01/88)

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>In article <3158@dasys1.UUCP> samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
>>I have to make a choice, for my Amiga 1000.  Due to economic
>>limitations I can only purchase a memory expansion...or a
>>hard drive.  Which do you think should be given priority,
>
>I'd go with the hard drive first.  If you get memory, fine, you'll be able to

Yes.  I disagree - unless you have a lot of files that you really want to
keep on something besides floppies (like a hard drive) I would go for more
RAM, and bear in mind that NOTHING says you have to turn the computer OFF just
because you go to sleep at night.  It's like running a light bulb - it won't
break the bank, and you'll have all yer programs in RAM ready to multitask or
flip to when you need 'em.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

yann@ai.toronto.edu (Yann le Cun) (03/02/88)

In article <3158@dasys1.UUCP> samw@dasys1.UUCP (Sam Weissman) writes:
>I have to make a choice, for my Amiga 1000.  Due to economic
>limitations I can only purchase a memory expansion...or a
>hard drive.  Which do you think should be given priority,
>if it has to one or the other for now?  Would also appreciate
>any recommendations, based upon satisfactory performance, of
>either, or both of those devices.  Forgot to mention that my
>1000 at present has 512K.  Thanks for any advice or leads!

I'd go for the memory first. With 2.5Meg you can load around 1meg of
useful stuff in a recoverable ram disk and still have 1.5 meg to work with,

If you run a shell and put the most useful files in the ram-disk (compiler,
linker, more, include files, librairies....), you won't access the diskette
very often. And a ram disk is faster than a hard disk.

You can add a diskette cache program like FACCII if you still aren't happy.

Yann le Cun                            yann@ai.toronto.edu, yann@ai.toronto.cdn
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     yann%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4  {uunet,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!yann
"I hate long and fancy signatures"

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (03/03/88)

   A Hard Drive would be the best choice for most applications.  Also, many of
the Hard Drives have space for expansion RAM, which would reduce your total
outlay when eventually get more RAM, as I'm sure you will.

                                                                Good Luck,

                                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/05/88)

If you can possibly live with 512K, get the drive first.

Why?

Because eventually the latest protectionist fervor will collapse and
RAM will go down to something reasonable again. And you'll be sick that
you paid 4 times as much for it. One solution, if you can afford it,
would be to get the SCSI drive and an Allegra or equivalent tricked
out with relatively cheap 256K parts, and upgrade it to 2 Meg when
the pendulum swings back again.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (03/21/88)

There is the option of memory and a second floppy. With the second floppy, you
don't have to swap, you don't have to keep so much in ram, and it's cheaper than
a hard disk. I like floppies tho I have a hard disk, to keep my programs on,
because I feel that I'll probably crash my hard disk anyway, and there's a lot
there that can be affected. It's nice to have the hard disk read times, but
hard disks eat up buffers in memory too. You can always use the second floppy
after you get a hard drive, and it has to be the easiest thing to sell used,
because it works with all Amigas.
--
Alex Laney   alex@xicom.UUCP   ...utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!xicom!alex
Xicom Technologies, 205-1545 Carling Av., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada