[comp.sys.amiga] Do I have a lemon?

tlm@pur-phy (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) (03/16/88)

[ This is for you wicked lind eater. ]

This is to see if anyone has a suggestion or a similar experience:

Machine: Amiga 2000 still under warrenty.

	I'm having problems with my floppies getting corrupted while
I'm doing file transfers - say using VT100 (kermit) and DNET (which
is getting stable and usefull even at 1200 baud). I've had the same
problem transfering files from ramdisk to df0: but it seems to hit me
more when I'm down loading. Needless to say it is very disconcerting
knowing I could lose my floppy at any moment! (About once a day!) So....,
I had the drive checked out (under warrenty) and it had alignment
problems that couldn't be fixed with the scope so it got replaced :-).
But noooooooo! I get about 50k transfered an BAMMMMMmmm the disk
does the usual horrible grind, grind, brrraaat with a system request
about a read/write error and I'm stuck again!!!! I started checking the
disks (had three in a row and it doesn't matter who made them) with
sectorama (directory check) and found block x00370 was where
it always started the corruption. Since it's independent of program,
and floppy drive, do I have a flakey Denise (or whatever the name is)
on my mother board? Of course the fan has just started to sound like
a Mach truck on a cold winter morning when I first turn on the machine -
Aarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!! It goes away in about 10 minutes but the
bearing are probably going. The shop is going to call CBM about it
but I'd still appreciate any insights from the net. The frustration
level is starting to rise to very warm, and I'm getting tired of the
hassle and would like to get some real work done!

- On another frustrating note:

I just recieved Manx 3.6 etc and like that SDB! But when I compile
I keep getting system requests for the boot disk - I don't boot up
on a compiler disk, I have most everything in memory - I can
click cancel and it goes on its merry way. I've got the environment
stuff 'set' correctly, and have reassigned C:,S:,T: and SYS: etc.
In fact I reeassign everything (FONTS: etc.) and more and still
get those requests!!! Who and what is it (make, cc, as, ln) looking for!!
I have noticed that if you compile with +ff of +fi the compiler needs
to suck in the floating point libraries (why??????) if they haven't
already been brought in but this is a different issue. I've just got
the latest version of sc (spreadsheet) running and that is how I
came about all this.

-Sorry to take up so much bandwidth.
-Thanks in advance.

	tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu

jesup@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/17/88)

In article <1021@pur-phy> tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) writes:
>I had the drive checked out (under warrenty) and it had alignment
>problems that couldn't be fixed with the scope so it got replaced :-).
>But noooooooo! I get about 50k transfered an BAMMMMMmmm the disk
>does the usual horrible grind, grind, brrraaat with a system request
>about a read/write error and I'm stuck again!!!! I started checking the
>disks (had three in a row and it doesn't matter who made them) with
>sectorama (directory check) and found block x00370 was where
>it always started the corruption. Since it's independent of program,

	Actually, I think it might matter who makes them.  My brother
has an amiga, and is a naive user.  He kept getting read errors on his
WordPerfect disk (copied from master), even after he re-diskcopied it.
So he tried it on another disk, same problem.  And a third, as well.
It turned out that 5 out of the 10 disks he bought were bad, and if you
did a format on them, they didn't pass.  Try formatting some of these
disk you have problems with.
	Next question: do you run any programs all the time, like maybe an
old copy of the shell?  Anything that does a Delay(0) (like an old copy
of the dillon shell) will cause random trashed of the disk, usually track
40.  0x0370 is 880 decimal, or track 40 sector 0 (what normally gets hit
by Delay(0)).
	Try a different download program, don't run ANY background stuff,
and I'll bet it stops.  Not 100% sure, but it is a good bet.

>on my mother board? Of course the fan has just started to sound like
>a Mach truck on a cold winter morning when I first turn on the machine -
>Aarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!! It goes away in about 10 minutes but the
>bearing are probably going. The shop is going to call CBM about it
>but I'd still appreciate any insights from the net. The frustration

	My fan is like that too, but it was like that from the beginning.
Since I bought it mailorder, I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet.
It does sound like rocks in the fan for 10 min or so.

>	tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/17/88)

In article <1021@pur-phy> tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) writes:
>I just recieved Manx 3.6 etc and like that SDB! But when I compile
>I keep getting system requests for the boot disk - I don't boot up
>on a compiler disk, I have most everything in memory - I can
>click cancel and it goes on its merry way. I've got the environment
>stuff 'set' correctly, and have reassigned C:,S:,T: and SYS: etc.
>In fact I reeassign everything (FONTS: etc.) and more and still
>get those requests!!!

I don't have these problems, and I do something similar.  Most likely your
forgetting something.  Use 'assign' to see if anything is still assigned to
your boot disk.  Also try 'set'.  Oh, and for more information, try
'info'.  That will tell you if you have any outstanding locks on your
boot disk.  Might give you some clues.

>I have noticed that if you compile with +ff of +fi the compiler needs
>to suck in the floating point libraries (why??????) if they haven't
>already been brought in but this is a different issue.

First, these are link libraries.  Actual code is linked into the final
binary.  Second, even if they were the other kind of library, the shared
Amiga kind, they might get purged if no one was using them and the system
needed the memory.

Ken Chiu

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (03/18/88)

In article <2079@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
>In article <1021@pur-phy> tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) writes:
>>I just recieved Manx 3.6 etc and like that SDB! But when I compile
>>I keep getting system requests for the boot disk - I don't boot up
>>on a compiler disk, I have most everything in memory - I can
>>click cancel and it goes on its merry way. I've got the environment
>>stuff 'set' correctly, and have reassigned C:,S:,T: and SYS: etc.
>
>forgetting something.  Use 'assign' to see if anything is still assigned to
>your boot disk.  Also try 'set'.  Oh, and for more information, try 'info'.

I had a similar problem.  Moved all my compiler files to hard disk, did
"set"s and "assign"s and "info"s out the wazoo, triple-checked my
makefile. Using Manx 3.4a.  "Make" asks for sys1: each time,
cancellable.  I still can't figure it out -- unless maybe the commented
lines in my makefile are being read somehow.  Anyway, work around this
by assigning sys1: as something innocuous like nil: or ram:.  Bingo, no
requestors.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

jim@b11.UUCP (Jim Levie ) (03/19/88)

In article <540@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, jesup@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) writes:
> >on my mother board? Of course the fan has just started to sound like
> >a Mach truck on a cold winter morning when I first turn on the machine -
> >Aarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!! It goes away in about 10 minutes but the
> >bearing are probably going. The shop is going to call CBM about it
> >but I'd still appreciate any insights from the net. The frustration
>
> 	My fan is like that too, but it was like that from the beginning.
> Since I bought it mailorder, I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet.
> It does sound like rocks in the fan for 10 min or so.

Three of the four Amiga 2000's that we have developed noisy fans within 30
days.  About 10 minutes with a screwdriver and some 3-in-1 oil cured the
problem.  I don't think that the bearings were proberly lubricated during
manufacture.

I realize that price is important in picking hardware conponents but I think
that using a sleeve-bearing fan in the 2000 is a mistake.  There is little
difference in price between a sleeve and ball bearing fan, but a very large
difference in the lifetime.  Considering the damage that a non-operational
fan can do to the innards of a computer it seems to be a poor compromise.

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Jim Levie   REMTECH Inc  Huntsville, Al

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/22/88)

In article <2114@antique.UUCP> cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>I had a similar problem.  Moved all my compiler files to hard disk, did
>"set"s and "assign"s and "info"s out the wazoo, triple-checked my
>makefile. Using Manx 3.4a.  "Make" asks for sys1: each time,
>cancellable.

That's strange, because I have no problem of this sort, and I'm also using
3.4a.  The only thing that I can think of, that may or may not have anything
to do with the problem, is that if you don't 'set' something, the system
will try to load the pseudo-library off disk.  Doesn't explain why it should
want SYS1 instead of your boot disk, though.

Ken Chiu

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (03/22/88)

In article <2114@antique.UUCP> cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>>In article <1021@pur-phy> tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) writes:
>>>I just recieved Manx 3.6 etc and like that SDB! But when I compile
>>>I keep getting system requests for the boot disk -...
>I had a similar problem.

Could it be that the compiler is trying to get to "mathieeedoubbas.library"?
I know that SDB only works with pgms compiled +fi meaning it does IEEE
arithmetic; maybe the compiler's built the same way??
Don't forget, Manx dropped their own mx IEEE (runtime) libs in 3.6.

-scott