[comp.sys.amiga] Genlock info

Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com.UUCP (06/19/87)

Aloha!
   Does anyone have any info on how genlock works?  Or even how I would
make sure my program uses it.  I want to make sure that my program can
sync with the thing, but I don't know how.  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance, Steve Hales

PATH:  Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com

In article <457@cup.portal.com> Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com writes:
>   Does anyone have any info on how genlock works?  Or even how I would
>make sure my program uses it.  I want to make sure that my program can
>sync with the thing, but I don't know how.  Any advice would be welcome.
>Thanks in advance, Steve Hales

Common misconception clear up time here, Kickstart 1.2 checks for the
GenLock when it comes up. If it is their is changes the direction on
some of the video signals (Hsync, Vsync, come to mind) and sets a
bit in one of the Base structures. (Probably GfxBase Dale?) Your
program does not have to do *anything* to work with it, although if
you want you can set your Color pallete in such a way that your
program is still usable even if color 0 is 'external video'. One
of the things I would like the console device to do is all you to set
the 'background' color to something other than what is in zero.

--Chuck McManis

drpwilliams@watmath.waterloo.edu (Don R. P. Williams) (03/16/88)

	I'm interested in purchasing a genlock for my
Amiga 1000.  I'm looking for one that features high-
quality video output but also sports a low price.
From what I've read in AmigaWorld, AmiGen(ImaGen?)
seems to be a good product.  I have some questions
before I commit and order one:

	Does anybody own one of these?

	If you know anything about genlocks could
you e-mail me your views on which one you think
is good?

	If I want to mix audio as well, should I be
looking for a Commodore genlock, or is there
something else available?  Thanks in advance.

     ///                                          Eternally looking for
    ///    Don Williams                           digitized pictures of
\\\///                                            the NCC-1701-D ...
 \XX/      UUCP: drpwilliams@watmath.waterloo.edu

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (03/22/88)

Just a quick note because it is very late! (3:18 PM EST)...

STAY AWAY FROM THE IMAGEN FROM MIMETICS!!!!

In a word.... JUNK!

Our company purchased one directly from Mimetics!!! It worked OK for a while,
the picture was ok, but the detail was not very good with it.
But about a month ago, it went flakey!! We get lines down one side and sometime
s it goes out all together, and the only way to get a picture back is to power
down and try again... Needless to say, we are looking for a NEW GENLOCK THAT
WORKS!!!! What I have read & heard says that the SuperGen is the one to try and
beat, and that the progen looks OK to. They DO NOT support audio! Get a audio
mixer for that.   Hope this helps!!

          - Doug -
 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com