[comp.sys.amiga] Help! RAM: Device

jtm@ncs-med.UUCP (John T. McGibbon) (03/16/88)

[.........zxyzxyzxyzxy.........]

Well, in upgrading my Ami 1000 with some additional memory, and since
I rarely turn it off, I thought that I would set up a RAM: device from
startup and reduce my disk flipping by a great deal.  I quickly pulled
out _The AmigaDOS Manual, 2nd Edition_ from Commodore-Amiga, Inc. and
looked up the RAM: device in the index.  It said to look on page(s)
11-12.

I flipped to page 11, scanned down to section 1.3.6 Undestanding
Device Names and came across this statement....

"To create RAM: device each time you boot, edit your startup file to
include the line."

I have not mistyped this.  The next line goes on to describe what you
can do once your RAM: device exists.  Previous lines talk about the
need for the l/ram-handler to be on disk and write blocks, etc.

I cannot find any other reference in the manual as to what the "line"
I am supposed to include is.

Could someone please e-mail (or post if anyone here is as behind as I
am on these things) the install for the startup file?

Also, I noticed that C-A was collecting information on documentation
errors.  Might this fall into the area of "sins of ommission"?

--
UUCP: jtm@ncs-med.UUCP	-or-  ...{siesmo!rutgers}!umn-cs!ems!pwcs!ncs-med!jtm
John T. McGibbon              -jtm- (612) 936-8505

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/18/88)

jtm@ncs-med.UUCP (John T. McGibbon) wrote:
>"To create RAM: device each time you boot, edit your startup file to
>include the line."

Ooops, just an omission.  Should be:

"To create RAM: device each time you boot, edit your startup file to
include the line:
	cd ram:
before the call to LoadWb."

Essentially, you have to somehow touch ram: to load the ram-handler
and make a WB disk icon available.  You could do something else like
	assign t: ram:
or
	copy file to ram:
you get the idea.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."

devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Vilbiss Warren C De) (03/18/88)

In article <5527@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

>Essentially, you have to somehow touch ram: to load the ram-handler
>and make a WB disk icon available.  You could do something else like
>	assign t: ram:
>or
>	copy file to ram:
>you get the idea.
>
>..Bob

Actually, *I* usually prefer the following means of "touching" RAM:
	copy sys:ramicon to ram:Disk.info

This does the dual duty of loading the ram-handler AND giving the RAM: drive
a nicer looking icon than the plain-Jane one that AmigaDOS normally gives it.
Note that sys:ramicon is actually a copy of Disk.info, saved on my floppy under
a different file name, so AmigaDOS won't erroneously think that it's an icon
file.  Also, please note that in order for a different icon to be assigned to
RAM: in this manner, you MUST copy the Disk.info file there as the first
operation on RAM:, since AmigaDOS does not reload the Disk.info imagery again
unless the specified disk is ejected and reinserted, which you obviously can;t
do to RAM:

  - Mike Shawaluk

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/18/88)

In article <624@ncs-med.UUCP> jtm@ncs-med.UUCP (John T. McGibbon) writes:
>Well, in upgrading my Ami 1000 with some additional memory, and since
>I rarely turn it off, I thought that I would set up a RAM: device from
>startup and reduce my disk flipping by a great deal.  I quickly pulled
>out _The AmigaDOS Manual, 2nd Edition_ from Commodore-Amiga, Inc. and
>looked up the RAM: device in the index.  It said to look on page(s)
>11-12.
>
>I flipped to page 11, scanned down to section 1.3.6 Undestanding
>Device Names and came across this statement....
>
>"To create RAM: device each time you boot, edit your startup file to
>include the line."
>
>I have not mistyped this.  The next line goes on to describe what you
>can do once your RAM: device exists.  Previous lines talk about the
>need for the l/ram-handler to be on disk and write blocks, etc.
>
>I cannot find any other reference in the manual as to what the "line"
>I am supposed to include is.

  Hmmmm..... I just dug my copy out also, and your right! Someone left a
  line out there. So heres a line that you can use:

  CD RAM:

  Easy enough? Basicly any time you make a reference to RAM: - it is created
  for you. So if you were to use the example on page 12 (still 1.3.6), the
  ram drive would be created and used without the need for the above line.

>Also, I noticed that C-A was collecting information on documentation
>errors.  Might this fall into the area of "sins of ommission"?

  I dont think this can be added to the SIN list. But it deserves a look
  see in any future version of the manual.

>John T. McGibbon              -jtm- (612) 936-8505

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (03/19/88)

In article <5253@uwmcsd1.UUCP> devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>In article <5527@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>
>>Essentially, you have to somehow touch ram: to load the ram-handler
>>and make a WB disk icon available.  You could do something else like
>>	assign t: ram:
>>or
>>	copy file to ram:
>>you get the idea.
>>
>>..Bob
>
>Actually, *I* usually prefer the following means of "touching" RAM:
>	copy sys:ramicon to ram:Disk.info
>
>This does the dual duty of loading the ram-handler AND giving the RAM: drive
>a nicer looking icon than the plain-Jane one that AmigaDOS normally gives it.
>Note that sys:ramicon is actually a copy of Disk.info, saved on my floppy under
>a different file name, so AmigaDOS won't erroneously think that it's an icon
>file.  Also, please note that in order for a different icon to be assigned to
>RAM: in this manner, you MUST copy the Disk.info file there as the first
>operation on RAM:, since AmigaDOS does not reload the Disk.info imagery again
>unless the specified disk is ejected and reinserted, which you obviously can;t
>do to RAM:
>
>  - Mike Shawaluk

Two points:

1)  AmigaDOS will not display icons of type DISK, except for Disk.info.  I
    know this, because I have ramdisk.info on my hard disk and it does not
    show up when I open drawers.

2)  You can "eject and reinsert" the ramdisk: use diskchange.  If you do not
    like this approach, type 'loadwb' from the Workbench.  On each successive
    invocation of the Workbench, the OS will reaquire the icons.

I agree about he drabness of the "plain Jane" disk icon.  Is there some way
of changing the default disk icon?  (To avoid ordinary looking icons for disks
with no Disk.info)

-ethan

[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
[Damn inews]
--
Ethan R. Dicks      | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Specialized Software|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

jtm@ncs-med.UUCP (John T. McGibbon) (03/22/88)

Thanks for all the overwhelming (and fast!) response to my original
posting.  I started to send out mail to the e-mail respondee's but
after the first 5 or so (with a bunch more pending) I decided to post
my thanks here to all those who replied.

side note:  This is quite an amazing newsgroup.  The replies started
arriving the next day after my posting....