[comp.sys.amiga] Hypermedia/Apple vs. Microsoft suit

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (03/22/88)

In article <676@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <331@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>>I've been noticing that a lot of folk are posting to BBS's stacks of
>>stacks, so to speak, for Hypercard.  Just a curious thought about
[etc]

>Does anyone know the format of a stack?  Can anyone suggest a source for
>such information?  I read in Danny Goodman's book that Bill Atkinson wanted
>the format to be made available for anyone to be able to develop HyperCard
>stack readers.  But in 'MacIntosh Technical Notes', #170, entitled
>"HyperCard File Format" it says,
>
>       "The file format of a HyperCard stack is
>       proprietary and will not be documented."
>
>I know that at least one company has developed a MacIntosh DA to
>browse stacks, so they had to get their info from somewhere, or else
>have made use of some Apple-supplied toolbox for accessing stacks.

Be careful, you might get sued :-)

>Recently, I asked comp.graphics for information on the graphic format
>employed by HyperCard (supposedly achieving 30:1 compression ratios with
>patent pending).  No one seemed to have a specific understanding of what
>the encodings are.
>
>I have a bunch of HyperCard stacks on my Amiga, and have spent many hours
>attempting to divine the internals.  I'm getting nowhere fairly quickly,
>tho.
>
>-scott

Sounds like an interesting idea, I think I'll hack it a bit too.

This apple suit is really slimy, it's almost *worse* than the Lotus corp.
"Look and Feel" suit.  I remember using the argument in the past against Mac
users that their interface was copied from Xerox, not Windows from thiers.

I think I see another interesting possibility for the suit.  Apple recently
signed an agreement with DEC to share information and thereby develop better
mainframe-micro systems.  On the otherhand HP makes *very* nice terminals, and
Microsoft is Slave to IBM (or is it the other way around?) and they may be
hoping to head off any interesting projects they are cooking up in the same
area.

Maybe I'm just moving hot air around.

     Snail Mail:       Real Mail:
*-------------------* "You bought a COMMODORE!? YICK!!"   \\///