[comp.sys.amiga] IPC---Let's Figure This Out

rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/13/88)

[ I still need more memory for my minirack C . . . ]

Let's appoint a committee (maybe seven, maybe nine) people to
discuss this, and come up with a proposal.  This proposal will
be written up and posted to Usenet, and comments taken for a
period of three weeks.  Then, the committee will meet again,
and submit a revised proposal, hopefully in time for the
Developers' Conference in DC.  Maybe we can schedule some time
there for another meeting, and shortly thereafter, we will have
a concrete message-passing protocol.  A standard.  That will
accomodate everyone, hopefully.  How does this sound?

Meetings should probably take place here in the bay area; I'm
willing to organize this, and even find a meeting place and
write things up.  Volunteers and nominations for committee
members are being accepted.

Discussion at BADGE just doesn't work; there are too many people
there.  A committee can make decisions.

I want this hammered out, and soon.

-tom

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) (03/14/88)

rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:

> Let's appoint a committee (maybe seven, maybe nine) people to
> discuss this, and come up with a proposal. .... [and suggests details]
> Meetings should probably take place here in the bay area; ....

Sorry, but I don't like this idea much at all.  [I should admit straight
out that Tom and I met this afternoon, and discussed his suggestion.  I
don't think either of us had much effect on the other's thoughts.]  Here
are my reasons.

This topic was started on the net, and I think we should keep it there --
and finish it there -- if at all possible.  Actually the number of people
corresponding extensively on this is about Tom's magic number seven [plus
or minus two?], but they're certainly not concentrated in any one area.
But that's the way the net is supposed to work isn't it?  Face to face
meetings would automatically cut the majority of this group out of the
discussion.  It would be totally high handed to take over the project like
that.

This is sort of a noble experiment, and I really feel we ought to try to
make it work.  "Computer Conferencing" is supposed to be a grand new way of
making decisions and reaching consensus [I've even heard it touted as a New
Age for Mankind...] but it would be nice to prove that this is true. We've
certainly seen some of the problems: egos run high, and tempers short
sometimes, and people are often happier giving their own opinions than
really listening to others.  Too, such a quantity of material flows past
that we are likely to read hastily and make snap decisions.  Nevertheless,
there have been a lot of useful suggestions made, problems raised, and
solutions proposed, in the past couple of weeks.  I suspect that there are
a few topics that haven't been considered yet -- I have a couple for sure
-- and the best way to get people thinking about them is to roll them all
out into public view on the net.  I would hope that more -- rather than
fewer -- folks would look at the proposals, evaluate them seriously, and
give their feedback (especially scenarios that would need IPC, and their
impact on our ideas).

Finally, I don't quite think it's as urgent as Tom does.  After all we've
had about three years now to figure out something like this, and we've none
of us (aside from Bill Hawes) done much of anything concrete about it.  We
oughtn't to suddenly turn around now and trip over ourselves in haste.
If it really ends up not working, then things will have to be decided by a
smaller group, but I'd like to keep up the experiment for a while longer.

So let me put out a couple of pleas.  Let's keep the discussion on the net,
unless we end up in despair, and -- if you are REALLY interested in the
topic and want to participate -- DON'T whip out snap answers to little
points you disagree with, but take the time to consider what other people
are saying.  There are a LOT of aspects involved, and someone else's
apparent stupidity is more likely simply a different point of view.

                                            -- Pete --

ugmiker@sunybcs.uucp (Michael Reilly) (03/14/88)

In article <7646@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> pete@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Pete Goodeve) writes:
>rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>
>> Let's appoint a committee (maybe seven, maybe nine) people to
>> discuss this, and come up with a proposal. .... [and suggests details]
>> Meetings should probably take place here in the bay area; ....
>

>Sorry, but I don't like this idea much at all.  [I should admit straight
>out that Tom and I met this afternoon, and discussed his suggestion.  I
>don't think either of us had much effect on the other's thoughts.]  Here
>are my reasons.
>
>This topic was started on the net, and I think we should keep it there --

I agree with pete, I think alot of people are following this thread, and as we
have seen, many people are still mulling over thier own ideas before they post
them, which is GOOD !!!  These people will be lost in the shuffle, because some
of them are interested, but have not posted yet.... Also what about the people
who are following the thread, but don't have anything (worthwhile) to say right
now, but might be extremely helpful/knowledgable when the project gets to the
next step......

							mike

Mike Reilly  President of UGCSA           University of Buffalo Computer Science
csnet:	ugmiker@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugmiker
BITNET:	ugmiker@sunybcs.BITNET   <-OR->   ACSCMPR@ubvmsc.BITNET

randy@bcsaic.UUCP (Randy Groves) (03/18/88)

In article <9281@sunybcs.UUCP> ugmiker@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael Reilly) writes:

>>This topic was started on the net, and I think we should keep it there --
>

>I agree with pete, I think alot of people are following this thread ...

As one of the people following the thread with much interest but no input as
yet, I also would like this to continue on the net.  Good stuff.  As to Pete's
comment about the speed at which we should go about this, I think that it is
important to take our time and hash it out.

--
-randy groves - Boeing Advanced Technology Center
UUCP:	..!uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!randy     USNail: Boeing Computer Services

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/24/88)

How many of you IPC guys are academics?

What kind of prestige rating would the Amiga get if the
IPC standard was an ANSI standard?  I bet there are several
good articles lurking around in there, plus travel money to
exotic big city airports...

                           lee
     #! rnews           1993
From: Jeffrey R Kell <JEFF@UTCVM>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.liaison
Subject: Document readers
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:02:42 EDT
Sender: Network Site Liaisons <LIAISON@RUTVM1>
RECEIVED: from PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU by PSUVM.BITNET (Mailer X1.25) with BSMTP id 4741; Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:41:54 EST
RECEIVED: by PUCC (Mailer X1.25) id 3993; Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:42:48 EST
RECEIVED: from BITNIC(MAILER) by RUTVM1 (Mailer X1.25) id 5624; Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:41:54 EST
RECEIVED: by BITNIC (Mailer X1.24) id 0385; Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:31:55 EDT
RECEIVED: from UTCVM.BITNET by BITNIC.BITNET (Mailer X1.24) with BSMTP id 0381; Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:31:10 EDT
RECEIVED: by UTCVM (Mailer X1.25) id 3690; Wed, 23 Mar 88 12:14:28 EDT

I have been asked to review the possibility of using document readers
for our faculty word processing department and also for the Office of
Records for transcript input.  Although I personally think it a bit
ambitious and/or expensive, I would enjoy being proven wrong as they
are quite taken by the idea.  Any references, war stories, and/or happy
endings you could take a minute to share would be appreciated; in
particular:  approximate price range, host requirements, flexibility
in fonts/sizes/spacing, background tolerance (transcripts usually have
a background shade or watermark), etc.  Thanks in advance.

| Jeffrey R Kell, Dir Tech Services |  UTC Postmaster/Listserv co-ord. |
| Admin Computing, 117 Hunter Hall  |Bitnet:  JEFF@UTCVM.BITNET        |
| Univ of Tennessee at Chattanooga  |JEFF%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU |
| Chattanooga, TN  37403            |  Bell:  (615)-755-4551           |