Club : ATARI ST         Sec: 1
Date :  3/17/88  9:01   Num: 2,753
Theme: ATARI ST PIRACY?
To   : ALL              By : ATARI*TROS
Title: WILL WP -- GO AWAY???
-----

     Thanks to ST*BILL for this alarming  news  about  Word  Perfect on the
ST.

--------------------------
Date    3/16/88 23:58
From   ST*BILL
--------------------------
TO: ATARI*TROS

     The  following  was  captured  tonight   from   the  Applied  Computer
Associates   Bulletin   Board,   Gaithersburg,  Maryland  (Atari/Blue  Chip
dealer). The message from CI$ is  a  very harsh warning about the piracy of
the  first  respected, supported professional product for our machine, WORD
PERFECT.

                  (DOWNLOADED FROM COMPUSERVE - 3/16/88)

Message number (<CR> to end): 94541
#: 94541 S3/ST Applications
    15-Mar-88  10:50:50
Sb: #WORD PERFECT QUITS
Fm: SYSOP*Ron Luks 76703,254
To: All

     Last night I received a VERY disturbing phone  call  from the director
of corporate communications of Word Perfect Corp. It seems that the  powers
that be at WP are very upset at finding their  software freely available on
a number  of  pirate  BBS  and  have decided the ATARI ST market is not one
that they want to participate in anymore.

     That's  right--  WORD  PERFECT intends to remove themselves  from  the
ATARI  ST  market  and  plans  to withdraw their software  from  the  store
shelves!!!!

     Mr.  Acerson  explained  that  the  decision  to pull out of the ATARI
market wasn't something he preferred  to  do,  but its been a long standing
policy at WP not  to  copy  protect  their  software and to utilize systems
like Compuserve and BBS to *support* their users. They will  not operate in
an atmosphere where the same  support  systems  are  used  to  steal  their
product. They feel  its  up  to  the user community to police themselves to
prevent  such problems and explained to me that they have not found similar
problems in the PC or AMIGA communities.

     The unfortunate  fact  is  that  both WP and the decent members of the
ATARI ST community  will  both  be hurt by this move because of the actions
of a few pieces of scum. Jeff acknowledged that  the  first  release  of WP
for the ST contained some  bugs  but  that they have been corrected because
WP  has always had the commitment to stand behind their  product  and  will
devote whatever resources  are  necessary  to  do this. If they pull out of
the ST market, they will lose the development costs associated with  the ST
version but the REAL losers will  be  the  ST  community. If a company with
the stature of  WP  decides  to  drop  out of the ATARI market, who will be
next??

     In our conversation I tried to convince Mr.  Acerson that these pirate
BBSs  were  actually a minority and that it just wasnt fair to the rest  of
the  ATARI  community  to suffer for their actions. (in fact, WP discovered
complete  copies  of  their  product on 3 BBSs in the few months  its  been
available) He stated  that  WP  would be seeking legal action against these
BBS operators, but that WP was in the business  of  selling  and supporting
software,  not  spending  significant  corporate  resources  tracking  down
thieves and that although 3 BBSs werent going to bankrupt  WP,  this number
found in such a short time bodes badly for the ST market.

     I then asked him if  WP  would  reconsider their action if it could be
shown to them that in fact  these  3  thieves were a small minority and the
majority  of  the ST community represented, decent, law abiding responsible
consumers who deserved to be served. He  said  that  if  he  could show his
superiors  that  this  was  the  case, and that the ATARI  community  could
responsibly police itself, there was a good chance WP would  remain  in the
ATARI ST market.

     Therefore,  I'm asking for  a  show  of  support  from  the  SIG*ATARI
membership  on  this subject and requesting that this problem be circulated
to all other systems and BBSs wherever possible.

     C'mon folks-- piracy just about about  killed  the ATARI 8-bit market,
and  now  seriously  threatens the ST market. Many  of  us  have  too  much
invested in our systems  to  watch  it  go  down the drain because of a few
pieces of scum. If we can show a significant amount of support, perhaps  we
can retain the vendors we now have and hope to have in the future.

     Ron Luks

* NOTE FROM SYSOP: If you captured this message, please upload it to any *
* ---------------   BBS you frequent.  thanks.    -Steve                 *
---Bill

-----
nb: I have not personally verified this with WP Corp, nor have I altered
any of the text, nor am I out to start any flame wars with comp.sys.atari.st
so this is not being posted there.  I have friends who work at WP Corp...
they're a helluva company to be supporting the Amiga.  I'd really hate
to see this happen to _US_ !

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/19/88)

I called WP Corp just now, and talked to Todd in the Atari group.

He said they were NOT pulling out of the Atari ST market, and in fact,
a new version of WP is going out for the ST next week.  He aknowledged
that WP Corp is concerned about the pirating in the ST market, but
will NOT be pulling out of that market.

Even so, the gist of the letter was correct.  WP Corp isn't happy with
the ST pirating going on, and a lot of other sofware companies are
staying away from the ST because of the rampant piracy going on.

Interesting to see how the users are killing the machine.  Let's hope
the new Amiga 500 crowd can stay away from pirating.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."

boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) (03/20/88)

In article <2924@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>(crossposted from the Atari ST Club on Plink)
>
>-----
>Club : ATARI ST         Sec: 1
>Date :  3/17/88  9:01   Num: 2,753
>Theme: ATARI ST PIRACY?
>To   : ALL              By : ATARI*TROS
>Title: WILL WP -- GO AWAY???
>-----
>
>     Thanks to ST*BILL for this alarming  news  about  Word  Perfect on the
>ST.
>
> (A transporting from American PeopleLink follows in which Todd Acerson
>of Word Perfect Corp. tells PLink Atari ST Sysop Ron Luks that WP is
>considering getting out of the Atari ST market because of rampant BBS
>piracy of their word processor.
>-----
>(THEN, Harv Laser - PLink Amiga Sysop - returns and says:

>nb: I have not personally verified this with WP Corp, nor have I altered
>any of the text, nor am I out to start any flame wars with comp.sys.atari.st
>so this is not being posted there.  I have friends who work at WP Corp...
>they're a helluva company to be supporting the Amiga.  I'd really hate
>to see this happen to _US_ !

I just want to pop in and add my voice of concern on this one. I generally
stay away from piracy discussions because they tend to bring out the
irrational in all of us.

But, I have had SEVERAL software developers - the majors! - tell me that they
are scaling down or discontinuing Atari ST development because they simply
can't make any money at it. Piracy is so totally out of control on that machine.

I know the temptation to steal software is strong. I know it's tempting. But it's
also illegal and if the iilegality of it can't concern our post-'60s generation
then we SHOULD be concerned that the degree of piracy on the Amiga can make or
break this machine the same way it's BREAKING the Atari ST.

Despite the hardware flame wars that persist, the Atari ST is a very good
machine. I have one. I like it. (Not as well as the Amiga, of course). But
Atari users are killing its future.

So, to second Harv's plea: Invest in the future of the Amiga. If you see a
piece of software that is good, that deserves your money, please buy it and
put a stake in the future of Amiga software development. No one is saying to
buy any and all software and get burned. But DO recognize the superior
efforts with your cash. (And don't use pirated software ... if it's worth
using, it's worth buying. If it's not worth using, format the disk.)

--
| Troutdale Shrine of Computing       **   Bob Lindstrom, perpetrator      |
|                                     **   UUCP:percival!boblind           |

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (03/20/88)

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Interesting to see how the users are killing the machine.  Let's hope
>the new Amiga 500 crowd can stay away from pirating.
>
>..Bob

Don't get me wrong Bob - just call it pessimistic I guess. I don't see why the
growing Amiga crowd would behave any different then the Atari.  I hope I'm
wrong.  And maybe WPCorp will have to or want to accept a percentage of sale
loss then no sales at all?

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

kudla@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (03/22/88)

Piracy on the Amiga will never be as big as it was on the 8-bit machines for
ONE BIG reason: The public domain software is SO much better, and there's
SO much more of it than for the 8-bits. Also, there aren't eighty million
fledgling software developers trying to make a fast buck off of this
year's Castle Wolfenstein clone or whatever. For that reason, I own
very little commercial software on the Amiga, pirated or otherwise. When
you can get the same thing for free (or a lot cheaper, through Shareware,
than you'd expect at a software house) it seems kind of pointless to get
bogged down in the old Commodore game of Tradin' Warez<-<-<-<-<-.

   ------------Robert J. Kudla - Pseudo-Freshman Extraordinaire-------------
   Screw the disclaimers- flame at will!                 Itt@RPITSMTS.BITNET
                                                      FU7Z%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu
                                                          kudla@pawl.rpi.edu

shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) (03/24/88)

In article <566@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kudla@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
: Piracy on the Amiga will never be as big as it was on the 8-bit machines for
: ONE BIG reason: The public domain software is SO much better, and there's
Hi!

I wont agree with that. At least in Germany the Piracy for AMIGA is
as big as for the C64 in it's best times. And the piracy is the reason,
why both machines have Germany as the best market in the world.
You can get EVERYTHING. But I don't think that this will be a reason
for Softwarehouses going bankrupt.
Those kids who are pirating like mad, would never buy an original
product, even if they would not be able to get a copy of it.
And those who might buy are a minority. So piracy is a big deal for
CA, since they are selling their machines better with free software
aviable.

|._,|   Cu
 - -    Markus
==O==   (shimoda@rmi.UUCP)