[comp.sys.amiga] left in the dark AGAIN?

gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) (03/22/88)

  [I must post this in question to the CEBIT announcement]

    With the release of the 2500 and the 3000 will C-A put the most emphasis
on the newer machices and put the A500 and the A2000 behind them. This could
be like the deal with the A500 and the A2000 taking over the A1000. Thus A LOT
of Amiga users would 'be left in the dark'.

   Will the newer software developed for the newer machines STILL be compat.
with the A500 & 2000? What about add-on, third-party hard-ware (will the
busses and slots[zorro] be the same?)

  With being in the market for an A500 (no money for the higher priced
models:( ) I HAD to ask these questions.
After owning the Commodore 64 I wanted to get a faster, better machine, but if
the A500 is going to decline in its claim to fame I might just have to hold
out on spending my like savings.

******Just a SCARED
investor.

                    Greg Beckham

Oh and does anyone have any INFO on the Portal Service???
the origin?atomic?fate?^!syn.guru!

In article <2711@crash.cts.com| gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
|    With the release of the 2500 and the 3000 will C-A put the most emphasis
|on the newer machices and put the A500 and the A2000 behind them. This could
|be like the deal with the A500 and the A2000 taking over the A1000. Thus A LOT
|of Amiga users would 'be left in the dark'.
|   Will the newer software developed for the newer machines STILL be compat.
|with the A500 & 2000? What about add-on, third-party hard-ware (will the
|busses and slots[zorro] be the same?)

Maybe it isn't clear to people that the 2500 is actually a 2000 with add on
processor boards (68020+68881), plus HD standard etc.. . That's the beauty
of the A2000 design with the Coprocessor slot.  I think the A3000 announce-
ment is similar to IBM "statements of intent" to build a machine with such
specifications "in the future".

Any official comments from CBM, so we can put this to rest?

-- Marco

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (03/24/88)

/ comp.sys.amiga / papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) / Mar 22, 1988 /
>Maybe it isn't clear to people that the 2500 is actually a 2000 with add on
>processor boards (68020+68881), plus HD standard etc..

No, it's not clear (not to me, anyway).  Sounded to me like it was a machine
with the 68020 on the main board.

>Any official comments from CBM, so we can put this to rest?

Hey, I'll settle for unofficial comments.  (They are more reliable, anyway! :-)

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,ihnp4}!nucsrl!gore

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/24/88)

In article <2711@crash.cts.com> gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:

>  [I must post this in question to the CEBIT announcement]
>
>    With the release of the 2500 and the 3000 will C-A put the most emphasis
>on the newer machices and put the A500 and the A2000 behind them. This could
>be like the deal with the A500 and the A2000 taking over the A1000. Thus A LOT
>of Amiga users would 'be left in the dark'.
>
>   Will the newer software developed for the newer machines STILL be compat.
>with the A500 & 2000? What about add-on, third-party hard-ware (will the
>busses and slots[zorro] be the same?)

   Hey gang, realx! Grab a brewski (or two) and just calm down. OK, relaxed
   now? Good. Lets start then....

   If you go back and look at the details of the 2500AT and 2500UX, one thing
   should be clear - that any 2000 can become one of these special models
   by simply adding the needed items. All the items mentioned were either
   shown by CBM at different shows, or talked about by various CBM folks on
   the information services (Bix, UseNet, Plink, Ect).

   The information I have says...

   Mr. Gould stressed "the A2000 will remain compatible with all new
   attributes of the new Amiga products".

   So it seems to me your worries (concerns?) are unneeded! Relax, dont be
   scared and grab that brewski.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net