[comp.sys.amiga] JET bugs.

u-jleigh%sundial.utah.edu@utah-gr.UUCP (Jason Leigh) (03/22/88)

In article <679@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <391@coplex.UUCP> jim@coplex.UUCP (Jim Sewell) writes:
>>I have come across a bug (I think).  Not less than 5 separate and isolated times
>>have I been playing and either when I fire the machine locks up, the yoke
>>position indicator starts jumping, or the screen blitzes (once).  I have tried
>>it with both Kickstart 1.1 and 1.2, but figure 1.2 is the right one since Jet
>>is newly released.  I have not had any other problems running programs on my
>>machine as far as I can tell.  Has anyone else experienced this, or think they
>>may know the cause?
>
>Yup, this wildly-hopping joystick bug has hit me several times.

	To get out of the wildly hopping bug press J.

>Other bugs in JET:
>
>o The SAM silos are indicated using an absolutely random red bitmap.  I
>  think these are supposed to look like <> (angle brackets) according to
>  the documentation, but don't even come close.

The SAM's are as documented on my version.  I run off an Amiga 500.

>o The sound sample that JET uses for the engines sometimes gets randomly
>  trashed after a while, so you hear popping and crackling at about 2
>  second intervals.  Sounds like a dirty record; makes me stop playing.

On the Amiga 500, the sound is only trashed in the beginning but
restores itself after about 10 seconds.  From then on the sound is fine.

THe Amiga 1000 does it fine all the time. (at least the one I tested on)

>o Your upward component of motion stops at 50,000 feet; you still move
>  forward, but are stuck at this elevation.

I seem to remember that the ceiling altitude for planes such as the
F16 and F18 are about 50000.  The  MIGs are supposed to be able to go
higher.

>o The game will tell you all enemy targets have been destroyed even when
>  you can see more.

Never experienced that problem.  YOu may have to be more specific.

>o I can discern no difference between AIM-7 and AIM-9 missiles.  In
>  particular the AIM-7 missiles do not appear to really have a 25 mi.
>  range.

It never seemed to have that range but I assumed that the MIGs were
dodging so it added a few miles causing your missile to miss.

Problems I have found:

o Level 8: In the F18 target strike, the final target is not visible
	   even though it's on the radar & can still fire missiles at you.

o In the combined attack mode on the F16, it intermittently ejects me
	from the plane without my pressing E.

jackm@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jack Morrison) (03/24/88)

In article <2416@utah-gr.UUCP> u-jleigh%sundial.utah.edu.UUCP@utah-gr.UUCP (Jason Leigh) writes:
>In article <679@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>>In article <391@coplex.UUCP> jim@coplex.UUCP (Jim Sewell) writes:
>>>I have come across a bug (I think)....

>>>have I been playing and either when I fire the machine locks up, the yoke
>>>position indicator starts jumping, or the screen blitzes (once).
>
>	To get out of the wildly hopping bug press J.
>
>>o The game will tell you all enemy targets have been destroyed even when
>>  you can see more.
>>
>o In the combined attack mode on the F16, it intermittently ejects me
>	from the plane without my pressing E.

Maybe it's supposed to be a *realistic* simulation. Ever work for
a defense contractor? :-)

Jack C. Morrison	Jet Propulsion Laboratory
(818)354-1431		jackm@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
"The paycheck is part government property, but the opinions are all mine."

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (03/24/88)

> >	To get out of the wildly hopping bug press J.

Well, I investigated this joystick problem. I browsed through files on
my (original) copy of JET, and found somewhere what looks like a KEYMAP
definition. Keys are given a name, and key J is called "set_analog".
It seems to me that "j" is an undocumented feature (on the Amiga), for playing
with proportionnal joysticks.
Other problems:
	as stated in the manual, one can use FS2 scenery disks in
free flight mode, and especially the FS2 disk. Well, I tried this, but
the details of landscape didn't appear (World Trade Center,...).
--
*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *