[comp.sys.amiga] Night of the Living Dead Modems

gb74219@scgvaxd.UUCP (Gordon Barbay) (03/10/88)

I have a very frustrating problem with  Avatex 2400 modem's.  I first
purchased one last fall.  It worked for about a month then died.  The TR
light would come on when I ran my comm program but not the MR light.  The
OH, SD and RD lights would illuminate when sending a signal to make a call
(well, sometimes anyway) but nothing would echo on the screen as was the
case when it was working properly.

I sent it back to Avatex and three (yes, 3) months later after getting a
1200 baud model back from them I finally got another one.  This one worked
for a week before exhibiting the following symptoms:  All applicable lights
(MR,TR,OH RD,SD,HS) come on at the correct times but the modem doesn't seem
to recognize a dial tone, i.e. no tone comes over the modem speaker even
though the OH light is on.  By "correct", I mean the lights act as they did
when the modem was working.  The modem no longers echos characters as
they're typed but the first time a signal to call is sent to the modem it
sends a "0" or sometimes a "3" to the screen.  That's it.

Also, when the DATA/VOICE switch is out then pushed in to the DATA position
the modem normally goes off hook and a tone is heard through the speaker.
Pushing Return will hang up the phone.  Now, I hear the relay click in, the
modem lights come on like before, but no dial tone.  Return, as before
turns off the OH light but nothing is echoed to the screen.  At one point
the modem was acting like the first one -- no MR light -- but that was
brief.

OK, back this second modem went to Avatex and a week and half later I get
my third modem.  This one is acting like the second one -- everythiog
"correct" but no dial tone -- but this one has never worked correctly.
Grrrrrr....

I have an A1000, an A2000 and use VT1002.6 and Online!.  Same modem
behavior with both computers.  Same modem behavior with both comm programs.
Also, I have been using a borrowed Hayes 2400 with absolutely no problems.
So, I believe this should rule out the computer or the software as the
source of the problem.  Nothing was done differently from when the modems
were working correctly from when they weren't.  Literally, the modems
worked one day then didn't the next.

So before I call these guys once again and once again traipse off to the
Post Office and UPS, can anybody shed any light on this (the guys in Avatex
product support don't seem to be able to handle problems except simple
errors in modem operation)?  If anybody has experienced a similar problem,
I'd really appreciate learning how it was resolved.  This is really
perplexing since I've never heard any other complaints about this modem.
Mucho thanks in advance.

		-Gordon

{ihnp4,trwrb,cadovax,cit-vax}!scgvaxd!gb74219
gb74219@scgvaxd.scg.hac.com

or

{cadovax,ihnp4}!gryphon!gbarbay
gbarbay@gryphon.cts.com

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (03/11/88)

I too had an Avatex (1200), and it worked fine until after a few weeks,
when it died, not responding to any commands/calls and exhibiting strange
light signals.  But, I did never figure out what was wrong, and I sent
it back to the place that I bought it from (Megatronics, I believe) and
they sent me a new model that works to this day.
 All I can offer for explanation is that these modems are probably not
amply protected against whatever stresses (electrical) that they may
be subject to.
 Another thing, not entirely related, but when I ordered my modem, they
asked if I had an Amiga so they could send a cable.  It turned out they
sent me the cable matched for the A1000, and I have a 500.  I had to
go and get a gender changer.  But that was good, because the adapter
only passed through the necessary pins for serial communication,
so that the 500's zany voltages did not reach the modem.
Well, good luck and bye...
-------
    ____  _   __  __   __                             \Marc Rifkin    \
   /   / /|  /_  /   / \    of \      /                \R38@PSUVM.EDU  \
  /---  /-| /__ /_/ /  _\       \\  //                  \132 Beaver Hall\
 /    \                          \\// E R T E C H  , Inc.\Univ. Park, Pa.\
        "No Matter Where You go,  \/  --=======--         \16802          \
         There You Are." -BB & MM                          \814-862-6892   \

diamond@hubcap.UUCP (David Lee) (03/16/88)

In article <35621R38@PSUVM>, R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
> I too had an Avatex (1200), and it worked fine until after a few weeks,
> when it died, not responding to any commands/calls and exhibiting strange
> light signals.  But, I did never figure out what was wrong, and I sent
> it back to the place that I bought it from (Megatronics, I believe) and
> they sent me a new model that works to this day

  I have been thru 3 Avatex 1200s myself. 2 of the supposedly "fully"
compat's that weren't and am now on the 3rd which is 1200hc
   .
>  All I can offer for explanation is that these modems are probably not
> amply protected against whatever stresses (electrical) that they may
> be subject to

  You hit it square on the head! My first two were dead within a week of
each other due to surges in the phone lines due to a lightning storm in
the area
  When I called Avatex, One of the engineers made the comment that the
1200's are extremely suspect about handling any type of phone line surge,spike
or whatever. They did offer a 25$ fix or replace settlement. In which they
would either fix it if damage was minimal or replace it if it was beyond
the point of no return. Imagine my surprise though when I received the newer
1200hc's. Now this is the way all hardware upgrades should be done.
 .

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (03/25/88)

>I recently got the supra 2400 baud. Has anyone else that has it had any
>problems with line noise? I get random noise that disconnects me. It happens
>~ 2 to 3 times a day? I did not have this problem when using a borrowed
>Hayes 1200 smartmodem.
>	Avery Shealey

Early versions of the Supra 2400 have a slight problem with signal
level.  I heard a Supra rep say they will upgrade them.  I think they
charge nothing for this.

Are you using the Supra 2400 at 2400 Baud or at 1200 Baud?  All modems
are more sensitive to noise at 2400 baud than at 1200 baud.
	Charles Brown		charles@hp-pcd

= Q: My car is less stable when I drive at 120MPH than at 60MPH.  What
=	should I do?
= A: Drive at 60MPH.