[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Lint

phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub) (03/23/88)

< This unused line is brought to you courtesy of your local line eater>

Having received my copy of Manx 3.6 compiler, and having browsed
superficially through the contents of the disks, I was wondering where one
might get a copy of the "lint" program alluded to in the readme.lint file in
the lint directory on the SYS2 disk. It doesn't seem to be anywhere on any
of the compiler disks, nor is there any information about where to get it,
either on the disk or in the release document. Is this referring to a PD lint
(I hope!).

This information was on the 3.4 release as well, and this was when my
curiosity was aroused. But I figured I'd wait until 3.6 came out to see if
there was anything else on it. But no such luck.

While I'm on the line here, I'll ask one more question. Has anyone had any
luck using SDB in debugging device drivers, as described on pages 15-16 and
30 of the preliminary manual? If so, I'd like to hear from you. All I get
when I attempt to use the 'ld' command is an error message something like
"Can't open foo.device!". My best guess about the problem at this point
stems from the fact that my driver is written in assembly language, not C,
but I did assemble it with 'as' and link it with the -g switch of 'ln'.
I put the driver in the current and devs: directories as well as the libs:
directory as indicated by the manual. The .dbg file is in the current
directory. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil Staub                     "I do NOT approve. I merely said I UNDERSTAND."
tektronix!tekigm2!phils                                              - Spock
phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM

bmacintyre@watsol.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (03/24/88)

>< This unused line is brought to you courtesy of your local line eater>
>
>Having received my copy of Manx 3.6 compiler, and having browsed
>superficially through the contents of the disks, I was wondering where one
>might get a copy of the "lint" program alluded to in the readme.lint file in
>the lint directory on the SYS2 disk. It doesn't seem to be anywhere on any
>of the compiler disks, nor is there any information about where to get it,
>either on the disk or in the release document. Is this referring to a PD lint
>(I hope!).
>
>Thanks,
>Phil

I've never heard of any PD Lints available... <insert favourite bad pun
refering to the stuff in my pockets> :-)

Seriously, I don't think there is a PD one, but if someone gets one of
these PD C compilers working, perhaps I'll write one ( I've written one
before, and it's alot of work even *with* the C compiler to strip down ).
Of course, with my motivation level these days, I'd never finish it  :-)
( wanna help Sven? )

Speaking of the PD C compilers, are either of them ( the GNU or the other one )
ANSI compatible ... if they are, lint is a breaze to write with them.

Blair
--
===========================================================================///=
Blair MacIntyre (bmacintyre@watsol.waterloo.edu) ( Long live the Amiga!! )///

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (03/25/88)

In article <2708@tekigm2.TEK.COM> phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub) writes:
>< This unused line is brought to you courtesy of your local line eater>
>
>Having received my copy of Manx 3.6 compiler, and having browsed
>superficially through the contents of the disks, I was wondering where one
>might get a copy of the "lint" program alluded to in the readme.lint file in
>the lint directory on the SYS2 disk. It doesn't seem to be anywhere on any
>of the compiler disks, nor is there any information about where to get it,
>either on the disk or in the release document. Is this referring to a PD lint
>(I hope!).

The only Lint I know of for the Amiga is a commercial product by
Gimple software.  I got it about 5 months ago and it works about as
you would expect.  Cost: I think it was around $75.

>Thanks,
>Phil

You're very welcome.

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

acphssrw@csuna.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (03/25/88)

In article <2708@tekigm2.TEK.COM> phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub) writes:

>Having received my copy of Manx 3.6 compiler, and having browsed
>superficially through the contents of the disks, I was wondering where one
>might get a copy of the "lint" program alluded to in the readme.lint file in
>the lint directory on the SYS2 disk.

Amiga Lint is a commercial product from Gimpel Software.  Check any recent
issues of Amazing Computing or Amiga World for their ads.  I have submitted
a review of this product to the former, which can be summarized as:  Buy it
and use it.

Stephen Walton, representing myself		swalton@solar.stanford.edu
Cal State, Northridge				rckg01m@calstate.BITNET
[Don't use csuna for a while--it is going down for an upgrade on 3/27.]