[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 68020 board info requested.

berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) (03/24/88)

I would like to hear from anyone with first (or second) hand information
regarding 68020 boards for the 1000.  There seem to be 3 boards available:
Sapphire (Gemstone Group), Hurricane (Finally Tech.), and the CSA
chassis/board (which I probably can't afford).  Anyone know anything about
the Sapphire or Hurricane boards?

Thanks.

Jim Berry                         | UUCP:{arizona,decvax,hao}!noao!stsci!berry
Space Telescope Science Institute | ARPA:   berry@stsci.edu
Baltimore, Md. 21218              | SPAM:   SCIVAX::BERRY, KEPLER::BERRY

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (03/24/88)

In article <274@obi-wan> berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone with first (or second) hand information
>regarding 68020 boards for the 1000.  There seem to be 3 boards available:
>Sapphire (Gemstone Group), Hurricane (Finally Tech.), and the CSA
>chassis/board (which I probably can't afford).  Anyone know anything about
>the Sapphire or Hurricane boards?

I've been using the Ronin (aka "Hurricane") board for over a year now, and
have had very few problems. Except that it's a real SOB to install.

Mine is still the 7 mhz version but I plan on upgrading it to 14 megs
RSN. I got it to do a 68881 version of Galileo.

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"live long and multi-task"

In article <274@obi-wan> berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone with first (or second) hand information
>regarding 68020 boards for the 1000.  There seem to be 3 boards available:
>Sapphire (Gemstone Group), Hurricane (Finally Tech.), and the CSA
>chassis/board (which I probably can't afford).  Anyone know anything about
>the Sapphire or Hurricane boards?

	I own a Hurricane 14 MHz 68020/68881 board for my A1000.  I have had
a few problems with it.

	The most notable of these is that the system seemed to behave
somewhat flakey after I installed the '020 card.  Software that used to
function flawlessly (like VD0) started failing sporadically.

	It turns out that you *must* have the PALs in your 1000 firmly
grounded in order to get anything approaching reliable operation.  Also, the
PALs on the '020 card itself are a bit noisy, and grounding them won't hurt.
Once things are grounded, then the things runs like a champ.

	Also, the first pass on the PALs on the Hurricane card had some
minor errors in their equations, so be sure you get the latest revision of
the PALs if you decide to order one.

	Other than that, it is a welcome addition to my Amiga, and the
speed-up in some operations is downright *scary*.

N.B:	If you're marginal with a soldering iron, like I am, don't try to
	ground your system by yourself; you might screw it up (like I did).
	Invest in peace of mind, and pay someone you trust to do it.  Few
	things feel worse than the realization that you have just
	accidentally murdered your Amy...
Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac