[comp.sys.amiga] Modula II

bdjst@cisunx.UUCP (Ratso) (02/27/88)

I am interested in getting a modula II compiler for my Amiga.  I am going to
get either the Benchmark or the M2Amiga compiler.  I would like to hear from
people programming in either environment to know what you like or dislike
about the compiler.  Please tell me about the environment, any utilities
(debugger, extra modules included) and deveopment speed.  If there is interest I can post the replies.

  Ben

cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (02/27/88)

  Benchmark or M2Amiga?  Check out Amazing Computing, Volume 3, No.
1.  You'll find Benchmark to be the clear leader, from the 700+
page manuals, fastest compile and run times, to the only integrated
environment on the Amiga.  I've been using Benchmark for over four
months now, and haven't found a glich.  Developed and produced in
the US of A.  Distribution problems are over; this compiler is going
to take off.  Watch.

  John

In article <802@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU> (John Schultz) writes:
>  Benchmark or M2Amiga?  Check out Amazing Computing, Volume 3, No.
>1.  You'll find Benchmark to be the clear leader, from the 700+
>page manuals, fastest compile and run times, to the only integrated
>environment on the Amiga.

I use the Benchmark compiler for my 'structured' code stuff and find it
quite acceptable except ...

>  Distribution problems are over; this compiler is going to take off. Watch.

Did you get it from Leon Frenkel's Avant Garde company or Oxxi ? I got it
from Oxxi and was dismayed at the various messages here from Leon that
seemed to indicate some sort of proxy fight between him and Oxxi. What
I would like to know is, just who the heck is supporting this product, and
if it is Leon, do the suckers who bought it from Oxxi have to buy it
*again* from him to get support, can we send him our 6 disk originals?
Calling Oxxi gives the traditional, "We are supporting Benchmark Modula II,
and the release manuals should be available any day now." I have been
steering people clear of this product until there is a definitive answer
to these support questions. Any illumination appreciated.

--Chuck McManis

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/02/88)

In article <802@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU>, cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) writes:
>   Benchmark or M2Amiga?  Check out Amazing Computing, Volume 3, No.
> 1.  You'll find Benchmark to be the clear leader, from the 700+
> page manuals, fastest compile and run times, to the only integrated
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> environment on the Amiga.  I've been using Benchmark for over four
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> months now, and haven't found a glich.  Developed and produced in
> the US of A.  Distribution problems are over; this compiler is going
> to take off.  Watch.

The Amiga *is* an integrated environment. Why on earth do you want to
patch a PCware integrated program on top of that? M2Amiga does a pretty
good job of using the Amiga Workbench *or* the CLI. Works pretty well
with Browser, too.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (03/03/88)

In article <714@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <802@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU>, cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) writes:
>>   Benchmark or M2Amiga?  Check out Amazing Computing, Volume 3, No.

>> ... only integrated environment ...

>The Amiga *is* an integrated environment. Why on earth do you want to
>patch a PCware integrated program on top of that? M2Amiga does a pretty
>good job of using the Amiga Workbench *or* the CLI. Works pretty well
>with Browser, too.
>--
>-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'

  Huh?  You can't see the utility of an integrated
compiler/linker/editor/errorlister?  You'd rather click between windows and
retype commands? Fine, you can run Benchmark in that manner as well.
What do you mean by "patch a PCware integrated program <on top of the
Amiga>"?  Is this a "flame"?  Let's be constructive here, and think
with our minds, not our wallets. (I know how you feel, as I spent
hundreds of dollars on TDI M2; the money is gone, but new knowledge
exists.  Benchmark is superior.  Fact.  Now I have even less money,
but even greater knowledge.  IF M2Amiga were superior, I'd be "more
poorer"...)

  "Wouldn't you rather:

     F2,F3,F4 (to compile, link and run)

   Instead of:

     Wave the mouse around, click to this window, type a command,
     wave the mouse around, click to that window, type a command,

  ????"

  Those of us who have used both "environments" can attest to the
utility of the integrated method.  Just because the Amiga is
multitasking, does not mean that we should force the user to
multitask.  If a simpler and more efficient method works, that is
the best method.

  John

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (03/03/88)

cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>  Distribution problems are over; this compiler is going to take off. Watch.
>
>Did you get it from Leon Frenkel's Avant Garde company or Oxxi ? I got it
>from Oxxi and was dismayed at the various messages here from Leon that
>seemed to indicate some sort of proxy fight between him and Oxxi. What
>I would like to know is, just who the heck is supporting this product, and
>if it is Leon, do the suckers who bought it from Oxxi have to buy it
>*again* from him to get support, can we send him our 6 disk originals?
>Calling Oxxi gives the traditional, "We are supporting Benchmark Modula II,
>and the release manuals should be available any day now." I have been
>steering people clear of this product until there is a definitive answer
>to these support questions. Any illumination appreciated.
 courts.  Since Leon has never received anything from OXXI and
rd.  It seems both will continue to sell it unless something
Johnfrom publishing.
soon.  Leon released and shipped 500 release units last week through his
ng for the OXXI
happens in the courts.  Since Leon has never received anything from OXXI and
apparently never completed any contract with OXXI, I assume Leon cannot be
stopped from publishing.  I don't know if he can (or will) try to stop OXXI
from publishing.

        In any case consider this, OXXI has sold hundreds of copies of the
Benchmark beta.  This product has been virtually unsupported.  None-the-less
OXXI is not swamped with customer complaints and questions.  Why?  Because the
beta copy is bug free.

        As far as support for OXXI Benchmark owners, I was thinking of talking
to Leon about some kind of reduced price offer for OXXI Benchmark owners, in
exchange for the originals.   Leon never received anything for the OXXI
copies, and it would run him several thousand dollars just to produce the
replacement units, so you can't expect a free update.

        Why do you limit your M2 work to "structured" stuff?

                                                        Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (03/07/88)

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <802@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU>, cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) writes:
>> page manuals, fastest compile and run times, to the only integrated
>                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> environment on the Amiga.  I've been using Benchmark for over four
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The Amiga *is* an integrated environment. Why on earth do you want to
>patch a PCware integrated program on top of that? M2Amiga does a pretty
>good job of using the Amiga Workbench *or* the CLI. Works pretty well
>with Browser, too.

        Benchmark *is* not just a PC patch.  It only exists on the Amiga.  The
integration relates only obvious functions such as activating the compiler or
linker, or error listing.  In Benchmark these functions are (initially) bound
to function keys.  You can also execute your file with a function key.  These
are functions used constantly, certainly they MUST be as functional as
possible?  No?

        I can't say about M2Amiga.  All sources I know of who have both
compilers recommend Benchmark, and since I got Benchmark (and MANX C, and
TDI Modula-2) for free, and I'm more than happy with it, I can't see laying
out $200 for M2Amiga.  I'd love to hear more about it though.

schaub@sugar.UUCP (Markus Schaub) (03/09/88)

In article <43532@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> In article <802@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU> (John Schultz) writes:
> >  Benchmark or M2Amiga?  Check out Amazing Computing, Volume 3, No.
> >1.  You'll find Benchmark to be the clear leader, from the 700+
> >page manuals, fastest compile and run times, to the only integrated
>
> and the release manuals should be available any day now." I have been
> steering people clear of this product until there is a definitive answer
> to these support questions. Any illumination appreciated.

Review in Amazing Computing 3/1:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Any  review is better than no review. This one is a good report of
minor bugs that were in a review copy which was never officially
released. These comments and problems are corrected by now.

Support:
~~~~~~~~
Interface Technologies Corp. (ITC) is in the business with Modula-2
compilers for 4 years now. ITC has a lot of partners in Europe that
also are in the Modula-2 market. M2Amiga is supported by the whole
development team in Europe and the U.S.A. It is, as a matter of fact
also one of my duties here to answer your questions.

Further development:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After the basic version was finished we started to develop an array of
additional utilities for M2Amiga. Some of these utilities are ready for
release, others still need some work. No, not all of them will be sold
seperately, we will include some of these utilities into our basic package.
No, we don't forget people who already bought our product. Our upgrade
policy even allows us to give a free upgrade for these people.

So, M2Amiga Users send in your Registration Card!

M2Amiga doesn't need to take off anymore, it already did. The user
community in the U.S.A., Canada and especially in Europe is growing
very fast.

PS. We are on the market since Aug 87 in German and Oct 87 in English.

Need further info? Drop me a line.

--
     //	Markus Schaub		uunet!nuchat!sugar!schaub      (713) 523 8422
    //	M2Amiga Developer	trying to get back the money I  paid  for  my

schaub@sugar.UUCP (Markus Schaub) (03/10/88)

M2Amiga Users and User To Be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We just expanded our base for customer support.
ITC (Interface Technologies) has a conference of BIX.
Customer support now available through:
-	mail		USA/Europe
-	phone		USA/Europe
-	uucp		USA/Europe
-	BIX
If you're on bix and have any questions, so mail to 'rajah' or post in
conference 'itc'.

--
     //	Markus Schaub		uunet!nuchat!sugar!schaub      (713) 523 8422
    //	M2Amiga Developer	trying to get back the money I  paid  for  my
\\ //				Amiga by selling a few M2Amiga.
 \X/	c/o Interface Technologies Corp, 3336 Richmond #323, Houston Tx 77098

cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (03/11/88)

  Check out volume three, number 3 (the latest) Amazing Computing
for an in-depth review of Benchmark Modula-2.  It's an accurate
review of the product showing all good, inbetween, and bad points.
A quote from the article sums up what some of us have been saying
for some time (we have used Aztec, TDI, and Benchmark):

  "I think the Benchmark Modula-2 package is the best Amiga program
development environment to date"

  Still not convinced?  "You will never know until you try..."
Hard as it may be, try to find someone you know who can show it to
you, let you experiment with it, and answer questions about M2 in
general. (Hey, this package even comes with a section on how to
convert between C and M2, C io routines, and C memory routines.
What could be easier?)

  ..it isn't religion anymore...

  (We'd like to see an incremental C++ compiler, no arguments there)

  John

schaub@sugar.UUCP (Markus Schaub) (03/22/88)

In article <816@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU>, cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) writes:

>   "I think the XXXXXXXXX Modula-2 package is the best Amiga program
> development environment to date"

Well, I can show you the same sentence in a German magazine in a review of
M2Amiga published last October.
~~~~~~~
Most of the Modula-2 specific stuff is also true for M2Amiga. The environment,
well, we think Editors are another religion and do not force you to use our
editor. The compiler (of M2Amiga) has many extensions that are very helpful
for Amiga programming you don't find in this other product.

BTW: What is the legal situation of XXX ???
--
     //	Markus Schaub			| The Modula-2 People:
    //	M2Amiga Developer		| Interface Technologies Corp.

cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (03/25/88)

>Well, I can show you the same sentence in a German magazine in a review of
>M2Amiga published last October.
>~~~~~~~
  Did they compare it against the Benchmark compiler?  We know where
TDI stands...

>BTW: What is the legal situation of XXX ???

  Both Oxxi and Avante Garde are selling Benchmark; Avante Garde has
just released version 1.0 (My Oxxi version is Beta).  Contact Oxxi or
Avante Garde for more details on legal issues.

>     //	Markus Schaub			| The Modula-2 People:

  Is it true that the M2Amiga compiler does automatic type transfer
(as in C)?  Also, have you read volume 3 number 3 Amazing computing?
Benchmark is reviewed...
  Anyway, if it can be shown that M2Amiga or XXXXXXX is better than
Benchmark (Like a one pass C/C++ compiler), I won't hesitate to try
it...
  Better defined as: An overall increase in productivity-  fast
code-debug-run cycles, stability, no compiler bugs, fast run time
code, compact code; all these items summed and weighed.

  John