[comp.sys.amiga] UseNet Seal of Approval

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/24/88)

This stuff oughta be *automated*!

How about a mail address with some smarts.  A reviewer sends a message
with, say, The Director, in the Subject line, and it automatically gets
appended to a review file for the Director.

      If the Subject line says "Tell me about The Director", then
the mailer sends back the accumulated wisdom in that file.

      Everyonce in awhile, someone replaces the review file with a
summary of its contents.

      Weasel weasel weasel---I'd be delighted to do it, and would if
I only had a Unix mail address.  But I get my mail on Bitnet, and don't
know REXX (yet).
th

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (03/26/88)

In article <37106UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>This stuff oughta be *automated*!
>
>How about a mail address with some smarts.  A reviewer sends a message
>with, say, The Director, in the Subject line, and it automatically gets
>appended to a review file for the Director.
>
>      If the Subject line says "Tell me about The Director", then
>the mailer sends back the accumulated wisdom in that file.
>
>      Everyonce in awhile, someone replaces the review file with a
>summary of its contents.
>
>      Weasel weasel weasel---I'd be delighted to do it, and would if
>I only had a Unix mail address.  But I get my mail on Bitnet, and don't
>know REXX (yet).
>th

This has already been suggested to me by Kent Dolan (a.k.a. The man from
Xanth).

I will be discussing this possibility with the administrator of Lake Systems
tomorrow.  In any event you will definately see the reviews available in this
manner from *somwhere*.

PLEASE NOTE that the reviews WILL come in "magazine" form as well, 1 big file
at a time every few weeks.  This is because 1) people then get reviews for
everything and 2) it is simple to then post it to bbs systems (which is the
MAJOR reason a company would go for this, there are NOT enough people on the
net reading this to justify it)

However, being able to request reviews in this manner will be very helpful to
people considering software purchases.

I will also endeavor to have reviews sorted by software type, in this way you
could request all the available reviews of audio sequencers for example.

(Please express your opinions by sending me VOTES, all the ones recieved have
been positive, but I'm afraid there is a tendency on the net to "sit back and
let the other guy do it", so wake up folks)

Hmm, my dot sig appears to have dissapeared.

-Joe

joe@lakesystems.UUCP