[comp.sys.amiga] Good book on 68000 assembly?

drpwilliams@watmath.waterloo.edu (Don R. P. Williams) (03/25/88)

	Any of you 68000 assembly Gurus out there have a favorite
book on the subject?

	I want to learn Amiga assembly language (68000) and would
appreciate any advice from the net.  I know 6502 and 6809 assembly
language so I guess I'm not a complete idiot, but I know virtually
nothing about the 68000.

Thanks,

	Don.

--
     ///                                      \Eternally looking for\\\
    ///  Don Williams                          \digitized pictures of\\\

carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) (03/26/88)

In article <17802@watmath.waterloo.edu> drpwilliams@watmath.waterloo.edu (Don R. P. Williams) writes:
>	Any of you 68000 assembly Gurus out there have a favorite
>book on the subject?
>	I want to learn Amiga assembly language (68000) and would
>appreciate any advice from the net.  I know 6502 and 6809 assembly
>language so I guess I'm not a complete idiot, but I know virtually
>nothing about the 68000.
>Thanks,
>	Don.

If you already know 6502 assembler you can probably get by with the Motorola
68000 User's Manual, since you will be familiar with most of the concepts. The
68000 has a pretty nice instruction set and should be easy to pick up from
just this book.

However, the Osborne/McGraw-Hill 68000 Assembly Language Programming book,
Second Edition (includes 68010 & 68020) by Leventhal, Hawkins, Kane and Cramer
is an excellent book. It has good explanations of concepts like I/O,
arithmetic, interrupts etc. It includes descriptions of the instruction sets
for the processors of course. It also includes short code samples to
demonstrate various operations. You would probably find it useful. Oh, it
sells for about $20.

--
			Carlos Smith
! new address!  -->	uucp:...!mit-eddie!ileaf!carlos

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/26/88)

>If you already know 6502 assembler you can probably get by with the Motorola
>68000 User's Manual, since you will be familiar with most of the concepts. The

I didn't find the Moto book too long on explaining the different addressing
modes.  But, it *is* the bible.  Are they on their Fifth edition now?

>However, the Osborne/McGraw-Hill 68000 Assembly Language Programming book,
>Second Edition (includes 68010 & 68020) by Leventhal, Hawkins, Kane and Cramer
>is an excellent book.

It's the book I used to learn 68K (with Moto book handy).  Note you
really have to *read* it, as there are some bugs and typos in the
book, like the bottom of p.38.  But it's easy to spot these, just
think about what you're reading.

[sorta like the PAL article in Amazing Computing :-) ]

I also have the Williams book by Sybex; I don't like it too much for
an intro to 68K as it tends to be one of the assembler template books.
So is the Osborne/MH book, but it's a lot better hidden.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."