[comp.sys.amiga] ARP 1.04 bug

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (03/24/88)

Admittedly, this is a minor bug.  It has to do with a difference in the
RENAME command from AmigaDOS to ARP.  It seems most programs will try to
resave files according to how you reference them rather than how they are
actually saved already when dealing with the case of the filename.  I use
this fact to help me sort files by importance (uppercase important, lowercase
is less important).  The AmigaDOS RENAME command allows you to rename a file
from lowercase to its uppercase equivalent or vice versa with no problem.  The
ARP version of RENAME complains (probably because it thinks you're trying to
rename a file to itself).  I've run into this bug with ARP v1.04 and was
hoping someone would check it out with (and fix it for) v1.1.  BTW, the Aztec
'ls' command sorts a directory listing as UPPERCASE then lowercase alphabetical
-- I wish more programs did it this way.

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

<Fly high, fly Amiga>

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (03/25/88)

In article <4093@cup.portal.com>, DMasterson@cup.portal.com writes:
> Admittedly, this is a minor bug.  It has to do with a difference in the
> RENAME command from AmigaDOS to ARP.
>
> [ ... ]
>                      The AmigaDOS RENAME command allows you to rename a file
> from lowercase to its uppercase equivalent or vice versa with no problem.  The
> ARP version of RENAME complains (probably because it thinks you're trying to
> rename a file to itself).  I've run into this bug with ARP v1.04 and was
> hoping someone would check it out with (and fix it for) v1.1.

The ARP v1.1 rename command works the way you want it to.  If the file is on
a floppy, or in vd0:.  It does NOT work this way if the file is in ram:, but
it doesn't complain either ... just doesn't *do* the rename.  One of the subtle
differences due to the ram-handler, I suspect.

BTW, the Dillon/Drew shell's builtin rename command works in *exactly* this
same way.

WRT the AmigaDOS rename ... I dunno.  I do know that in my copy of The AmigaDOS
Manual (Bantam), it specifically says, "[it] will not execute if the only change
is the 'case' of one or more letters".  This is the old version of the Manual;
it may not say that in the v1.2 copy.  Did CBM change the rename command in 1.2?

Back in the dim past (before vd0:), I did most of my work in ram:.  To avoid the
renaming limitation, I just used an alias (or macro) to first rename to an
intermediate name.  Before doing this however, I had experienced some "random
Guru's", which (when they did happen) only seemed to occur shortly (within a
dozen or two commands) after having tried to "recase" a file name.  After
going to the intermediate filename strategy, these crashes stopped hapening.
Could have been a coincidence, I suppose . . .

>                                                                BTW, the Aztec
> 'ls' command sorts a directory listing as UPPERCASE then lowercase alphabetical
> -- I wish more programs did it this way.

Yes.  And the Manx "ls" sorts filenames into columns, adjusts the number of
columns based on filename lengths, and shows directories in a different color
(thanks, Jim).  Now if it just had a few more of the useful flags.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

thad@cup.portal.com (03/26/88)

A lot of the Manx stuff has a UNIX-like flavor.  What blew my mind was
doing an `ls' on the Amiga, and an `ls' on my 3B1 (after transferring files
from one to the other), and having the respective screen listings indentically
superimposed (while doing Left-Amiga-N and Left-Amiga-M with the terminal
program still active).

[OOPS: "indentically" above s/b "identically"; cannot get the friggin'
editor (here) to work]