[comp.sys.amiga] Announcement made at BADGE

*** REPLACE THIS LINE; IT'S UNDER WARRANTY ***

	At last week's BADGE meeting, Jim Mackraz gave a "Beta Version" of
his talk that he will deliver at the developer's conference in April, and a
new catch-phrase was born ("You, too, can have this for only FIVE DOLLARS!").

	However, Jimm made an announcement that pleasantly surprised
everyone.

	In the entire history of the Amiga, the team that has developed the
hardware and software has pretty much remained a closed family; the same
people have been responsible for fixing the bugs and pushing the envelope.
As a result, almost no new people have been brought on board to carry the
machine forward.

	Until now.

	Commodore has hired Bryce Nesbitt.

	The advantages are obvious.  The man has zillions of great ideas,
and the coding talent to make them happen, and make them happen elegantly.
In his own personal effort to better understand the machine, he has
disassembled major portions of the OS to find out what's REALLY going on,
and has found all sorts of bugs this way.  Without actually being a member
of the official team, he has learned an astounding amount of the insides of
the Amiga.

	The main disadvantage to this is that he has to move from Berkeley
to West Chester.

	Well-wishers may wish to send him some congratulatory mail.

SevereSmileyMode (ON);

	I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed a surprising
corrolary here.  Bryce, all by himself, learns an incredible amount of stuff
about the system, even some things that the original developers didn't know.
As a result, they decide to make him a part of the team.

	Now, take this scenario, and compare it to plots you've seen on
_Star Trek: The Next Generation_, and see if you notice any similarities.

	HINT:  The relevant character is played by Wil Wheaton.

(-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

In article <5477@well.UUCP| ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
|	However, Jimm made an announcement that pleasantly surprised
|everyone.
|	Commodore has hired Bryce Nesbitt.
|	The main disadvantage to this is that he has to move from Berkeley
|       to West Chester.

Way to go, CBM, and congratulations to Bryce.

-- Marco

P.S.:
Of course, I lied again. :-)

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/25/88)

In article <5477@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>SevereSmileyMode (ON);
>
>	I don't know about anyone else, but I've noticed a surprising
>corrolary here.  Bryce, all by himself, learns an incredible amount of stuff
>about the system, even some things that the original developers didn't know.
>As a result, they decide to make him a part of the team.
>
>	Now, take this scenario, and compare it to plots you've seen on
>_Star Trek: The Next Generation_, and see if you notice any similarities.
>
>	HINT:  The relevant character is played by Wil Wheaton.
>
>(-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: (-: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

There is one thing seriously wrong with this scenerio...

I am not planning on going bald.

:-) :-) :-)

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/26/88)

Leo:
>_Star Trek: The Next Generation_, and see if you notice any similarities.

andy responds:
>I am not planning on going bald.

Ever played any Shakespeare?  :-)  [no, not the Amiga software!]

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."

Chad_The-Walrus_Netzer@cup.portal.com (03/26/88)

     Just ONE thing that seems a little strange in "The New Generation"...  You
would think that by the 24th century the Helsinki Formula would be working
correctly...  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  BTW. I REALLY liked the last two shows (
Wesley and the Academy, Worf and the klingons...)

                                          Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer
                                          Certified AmigaManiac