[comp.sys.amiga] Cross posting

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) (03/16/88)

Because of the uncertain status of comp.sys.amiga.tech, I've been cross
posting my articles on IPC here as well as on .tech (where I think they
properly belong).  Other people have been doing the same thing, but
someone has objected to this policy.

My assumption is that people who receive .tech will follow the discussion
more comfortably there, but those who don't will not be shut out.  What
do others think?  Is anyone reading this stuff that can't get .tech?
(Is anybody READING this stuff...?)  Feedback please.  Thanks.

						-- Pete --

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/16/88)

In article <7722@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:
>My assumption is that people who receive .tech will follow the discussion
>more comfortably there, but those who don't will not be shut out.  What
>do others think?  Is anyone reading this stuff that can't get .tech?
>(Is anybody READING this stuff...?)  Feedback please.  Thanks.

I would appreciate it very much if people would cross-post.  Why are
people objecting?  Is because they don't want .tech stuff cluttering
up comp.sys.amiga?  That's an interesting reversal of the original purpose of
having two newsgroups.

Ken Chiu

In article <7722@agate.BERKELEY.EDU| pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:

|Because of the uncertain status of comp.sys.amiga.tech, I've been cross
|posting my articles on IPC here as well as on .tech (where I think they
|properly belong).  Other people have been doing the same thing, but
|someone has objected to this policy.
|
|My assumption is that people who receive .tech will follow the discussion
|more comfortably there, but those who don't will not be shut out.  What
|do others think?  Is anyone reading this stuff that can't get .tech?
|(Is anybody READING this stuff...?)  Feedback please.  Thanks.

At this point is seems 100% certain that comp.sys.amiga.tech is a GO, with
that name, so I myself will NOT cross prst. Bryce has given us some GOOD
examples of what should be there and what should not.

Also from a quick look at the path of the people that posted to
comp.sys.amiga.tech, it is clear that it is already widely distributed.

-- Marco

In article <2075@phoenix.Princeton.EDU| kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
|I would appreciate it very much if people would cross-post.  Why are
|people objecting?  Is because they don't want .tech stuff cluttering
|up comp.sys.amiga?  That's an interesting reversal of the original purpose of
|having two newsgroups.

One of the reasons to have a new newsgroup, is to DECREASE the waste of net
bandwidth. Cross-posting INCREASES the waste of net bandwidth.

JUST SAY NO to cross-postings.  If you want to read comp.sys.amiga.tech, add
it to your .newsrc file, and tell your News administrator that you want to
read it.

-- Marco

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (03/17/88)

(Pete Goodeve) writes:

>Because of the uncertain status of comp.sys.amiga.tech, I've been cross
>posting my articles on IPC here as well as on .tech (where I think they
>properly belong).  Other people have been doing the same thing, but
>someone has objected to this policy.
>
>My assumption is that people who receive .tech will follow the discussion
>more comfortably there, but those who don't will not be shut out.  What
>do others think?  Is anyone reading this stuff that can't get .tech?
>(Is anybody READING this stuff...?)  Feedback please.  Thanks.
>
>						-- Pete --

Pete,

     *Please,* keep cross-posting.  As near as I can tell, the .tech
group isn't real yet; certainly we don't have it here on teksce.  From
something Gene Spafford (sp?) said in news.groups, it could be months
before every site on the net has .tech.  Now, tektronix is a backbone
site, so it should get it within about a week of its creation, but what
about the rest of the folks?  (Message propagation is weird; I see
replys to messages, then see the original a week or so later.)
Cross-posting also does not take up any more file space for those who
already have .tech, so there is no harm in it.

     I really do read this stuff!  I'm very new to the Amiga, so I haven't
had anything to contribute to the discussion, but I find it fascinating.
Only one point:  Make the protocol general enough so that *anything* can
be passed between programs.  Perhaps the IPC could be used in the
"workbench pipes" that are being discussed in another thread.

                                          --dds

p.s.
     Gee, my first posting.  Hope I didn't foul things up too bad.  Now,
lessee, I should have an appropriate signature...

`````````````````````````````````````''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
"The trackdisk's track seeks to seek | Dale D. Snell   dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
to Ami's request but Ami's request   | UUCP-!: ...!tektronix!tekgen!teksce!dales
seeks to seek the trackdisk's track  | CompuServe:  74756,666
just one block per track per handle." | Disclaimer:  *Wha'd* he say??
                  -- Matt Dillon

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/17/88)

In article <7693@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <2075@phoenix.Princeton.EDU| kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
>|I would appreciate it very much if people would cross-post.  Why are
>|people objecting?  Is because they don't want .tech stuff cluttering
>|up comp.sys.amiga?  That's an interesting reversal of the original purpose of
>|having two newsgroups.
>
>One of the reasons to have a new newsgroup, is to DECREASE the waste of net
>bandwidth. Cross-posting INCREASES the waste of net bandwidth.

Are you sure about this?  I thought an article is transmitted only once
regardless of how many newsgroups it's cross-posted to.  Also, the news
reader will recognize when you've already read an article, so it will be
skipped if already read (at least rn does).

Ken Chiu

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/17/88)

At our site here we don't get comp.sys.amiga.tech either so please keep
cross-posting. I want to get the group, but it has not reached our
machine yet. Hope it does. Thanks

* Russ Jacobson                                                   *
* 615 E. Peabody Drive                                            *
* Illinois Geological Survey          "THE   MAD   HACKER"        *
* Champaign, IL 61820                                             *
*                                                                 *
*   217-244-2425                                                  *
              _         __  __     __   _______      _
       //    //\       //\\//\\    ||  //           //\
      //    //  \     //  \/  \\   || ||           //  \
     //    //====\   //        \\  || ||     ==\  //====\
\\  //    //      \ //          \\ ||  \\______| //      \
 \\//

"MULTITASKING AND GRAPHICS POWER FOR THE REST OF US TODAY, NOT TOMMOROW"

* USENET:  [ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!jacobson *
* ARPANET: jacobsonuiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu                          *
* CSNET:   jacobsonuiucuxe@uiuc.csnet                             *

:regardless of how many newsgroups it's cross-posted to.  Also, the news
:reader will recognize when you've already read an article, so it will be
:skipped if already read (at least rn does).
:
:Ken Chiu

	Not everybody uses rn...  I don't use rn (it's too slow for me).

					-Matt

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/20/88)

In article <7722@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:

< Because of the uncertain status of comp.sys.amiga.tech, I've been cross
< posting my articles on IPC here as well as on .tech (where I think they
< properly belong).  Other people have been doing the same thing, but
< someone has objected to this policy.

< My assumption is that people who receive .tech will follow the discussion
< more comfortably there, but those who don't will not be shut out.  What
< do others think?  Is anyone reading this stuff that can't get .tech?
< (Is anybody READING this stuff...?)  Feedback please.  Thanks.

<						-- Pete --

Patience, .tech is coming, but it's not at many sites yet.  If this
discussion is moved to .tech now, many people will not be able to follow
it.  (Like me.)
--
------------
Eric Kennedy

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (03/27/88)

In article <7689@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>At this point is seems 100% certain that comp.sys.amiga.tech is a GO, with
>that name, so I myself will NOT cross prst. Bryce has given us some GOOD
>examples of what should be there and what should not.
>
>Also from a quick look at the path of the people that posted to
>comp.sys.amiga.tech, it is clear that it is already widely distributed.

If you look at the distribution paths and find sources widely dispersed
it is only because sysadmins like me resolutely resolve not to drop groups
just because we get mail from 'news' several times a week reminding us
that we are carrying non-standard newsgroups (by name, with detailed
instructions for dropping them [detailed, hell, you could practically
feed the mail message directly into sh]).  Many people are going to get
tired of this onslaught and delete the groups, effecting everyone downstream.

Like it or not, the backbone has power.  Keep crossposting until the
group becomes official.  The idea you need may come from someone who
can't get .tech.  When .tech becomes official (which I too have no doubt of)
the crossposting can stop.

If this is not timely, I apologize -- I've been at a conference.
--
-Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.-

Charles Cleveland    Georgia Tech School of Physics    Atlanta, GA 30332
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas         INTERNET:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu