[comp.sys.amiga] USENET REVIEWS / Person at Commodore speaks

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (03/27/88)

In article <3527@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>In article <540@lakesys.UUCP> joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:
>>
>>Proposal:  To start an electronic review system for new Amiga software and
>>hardware.  It would be distributed by Usenet, then placed onto local bbs's.
>>Reviewers would be impartial members of Usenet.
>                    ^^^^^^^^^  Hmmmm......

        As impartial as we ever get anyway...

>  This looks fine with me. We have been kicking this subject around for some
>  time now, and with someone actually willing to take charge - lets do it !!

        Good, glad to hear somone at Commodore say it.  Gee, you never told us
you had this idea.  Anything of interest affecting us that we should know?

>>        3) If you wish to be an official reviewer
>>
>>        4) If you wish to recieve it/think it's a good idea
>>
>>        5) If you wish to and can be an "official" rep on local bbs's for
>>                the reviews, i.e.  You would unshar them and post them (I
>>                forsee not only text reviews but iff files of charts, and
>>                graphics from reviewed programs).
>>
>  Count me in for all three of these. Since we are going to have guidelines
>  for the review(s) - do we need guidelines for the actual reviewer? (Not
>  to follow, but requirements to become a reviewer)

Ok, I'll count you in as a reviewer and add another "yes" vote to the column
that has "yes" votes in it.  (The "no" column is gathering dust)

>>        I believe that it would have to be officially recognized by Commodore,
>>and they would hopefully inform magazines and companies. This would make NR
>>more legitimate.
>>
>   I think that with the fairly high number of CBM folk on the net, odds are
>  CBM would be involved in one way or another (Unofficially or Officially).
>
>   Once we set up some kind of actual guidelines and reviewers, im sure that
>  a few of the comp.sys.amiga readers can arrange coverage in the Amiga
>  magazines ;-)

I think that Officially is the only way we can get companies to submit their
products for review.  Kick the idea around some more there that it is concrete
and see what could be done in the way of informing companies of U-R's
existence.
>>|Joe Pantuso        |  joe@lakesys.UUCP                   ///    REVIEWS?
>
>--
>   Dan Schein           uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
>   Commodore AMIGA                     ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net
>        I help Commodore by supporting the AMIGA. Commodore supports
>         me by allowing me to form my own suggestions and comments.

I've spoken with my system administrator here at Lakesystems and we will be
putting together a files system for the reviews, this is to allow the request
of specific reviews and issuses of U-R's.  It will be automated and all that
fun stuff, so that worry is over with.

I guess all that really remains now is to be Recognized in the biblical sense
and then I can get going with sending letters to companies.

BTW-I'm somewhat surprised at the few #'s of people responding who wish to be
reviewers, I suppose alot of people are just getting the origional thread
(I've not had much experience with clocking mail).

Also, I need more people who will be willing to upload the magazine form to
BBS's, I will need to know the names of BBS's/phone #'s/and the approximate
number of people who use the system.

     Snail Mail:       Real Mail:                           ///
*-------------------*  {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!joe   ///
|Joe Pantuso        |  joe@lakesys.UUCP                   ///
|1631 n. 69 St.     |                               \\\  ///\          _   _
|Wauwatosa WI  53213|  "Rascality has it's limits,   \\\///__\ |\/| | / _ |_|
*-------------------*   Stupidity does not."-Napoleon \XX/    \|  | | \_/ | |