[comp.sys.amiga] Window Frames & Refreshing

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (03/23/88)

Hi,

I am writing a program which uses many windows and each window has gadgets
in the borders and title bar.  Whenever the title bar in any window in my
custom screen is changed (either menu operations, or ACTIVEWINDOW or
INACTIVEWINDOW), The rest of the windows frames get redrawn.  This is very
annoying when I have more than 5 windows.

At first, I thought it was something I was doing wrong in my event handler,
but one day, due to a stupid mistake, a software error requester came up.
I selected a window in the custom screen to see what would happen, and as
before (even though the program was stopped) all of the window frames were
redrawn.

So, I am now convinced that it is not my code that is calling
RefreshWindowFrame();.  Does anybody have any ideas as to how I might fix
this?

Also, is it possible to make system requesters related to my program come up
in my custom screen instead of on the workbench screen?

	-- Mike Leibow

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

>Hi,
>
>I am writing a program which uses many windows and each window has gadgets
>in the borders and title bar.  Whenever the title bar in any window in my
>custom screen is changed (either menu operations, or ACTIVEWINDOW or
>INACTIVEWINDOW), The rest of the windows frames get redrawn.  This is very
>annoying when I have more than 5 windows.

	Try specifying NOCAREREFRESH in the Flags field of the NewWindow
	structure.

					-Matt

bryce@eris (Bryce Nesbitt) (03/26/88)

In article <> msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:

|[Two problems...]
|Whenever the title bar in any window in my
|custom screen is changed (either menu operations, or ACTIVEWINDOW or
|INACTIVEWINDOW), The rest of the windows frames get redrawn....

You obviously need to read my recent article in "Transactor for the Amiga" :-).

The problem is you forgot to specify NOCAREFRESH in your NewWindow strcture.

>Also, is it possible to make system requesters related to my program come up
>in my custom screen instead of on the workbench screen?

Yes.  See page 24, April 1988, Tranactor for the Amiga.  :-) :-) :-)

Or,	use FindTask(0L);
	save pr_WindowPtr
	place one of your window pointers into pr_WindowPtr
	...use program...
	restore pr_WindowPtr
	close window

See "libraries/dosextens.h".

For source code see (Guess what?!) "Transactor for the Amiga".

|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{O_o} .     Bryce Nesbitt
 (")        BIX: mleeds (temporarily)
  U	    USENET: bryce@eris.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!eris!bryce

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/28/88)

In article <8039@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bryce@eris (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>In article <> msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
>|
>|[Two problems...]
>|Whenever the title bar in any window in my
>|custom screen is changed (either menu operations, or ACTIVEWINDOW or
>|INACTIVEWINDOW), The rest of the windows frames get redrawn....

>You obviously need to read my recent article in "Transactor for the Amiga" :-).

>The problem is you forgot to specify NOCAREFRESH in your NewWindow strcture.

Related (maybe) question.  Why do screen refreshes, window sizing, menu
selections, anything having to do with intuition's graphics take _soooo_
long when running WordPerfect?  Could it be this (or some related)
problem?  If you simply click the menu bar, sometimes there's a full
three seconds before you have control over the mouse again.  This is
stupid.  Even resizing or moving another window is slowed way down.  Any
thoughts?

--
Eric Kennedy