[comp.sys.amiga] Wanted: Info on Supra 2400 baud modem

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (03/04/88)

Does anyone have information on the Supra 2400 baud modem for example,
is it Hayes compatible?  Does it have a telephone extension jack on the
back?  Does it have a speaker and volume capibility?  Overall impressions?
Thanks for the help.

Chris

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (03/04/88)

In article <1086@ektools.UUCP> barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
>Does anyone have information on the Supra 2400 baud modem for example,
>is it Hayes compatible?  Does it have a telephone extension jack on the
>back?  Does it have a speaker and volume capibility?  Overall impressions?
>Thanks for the help.

I happen to be using a Supra 2400 unit right now.  It's on loan from
a friend (he doesn't have a cable right now...).  I love this modem, and
I'm used to a Hayes.  As far as I can tell, it is totally Hayes compatible,
and that was with comparing the reference manuals of both modems side by
side.  I'm planning on getting one from Abel's this week.

Yes, it has a telephone jack in the back. Yes it has a speaker (a little
rougher sounding than my Hayes 1200, but not as bad as an Avatex!).
Software volume control a la the Hayes 2400.  The front panel is a bit less
robust than I like, but the internals work great - no sweat on local and
long distance lines - nary a bit misplaced anyware.

All in all, a great little modem.

Kurt (that's smaug@eneevax.umd.edu to you, pilgrim)

duncanj@umd5.umd.edu (James Duncan) (03/04/88)

If you don't get a good response about the Supra modem you may want to
try out the Practical Peripherals 2400 SA ( SA = Stand Alone ).
It has all the features you requested and more.
Plus a 5 year guarantee.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and I love it. It seems to have flawless
Hayes compatiability.

				Jim Duncan

bryce@eris (Bryce Nesbitt) (03/04/88)

In article <1086@ektools.UUCP> barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
>Does anyone have information on the Supra 2400 baud modem for example,
>is it Hayes compatible?

Yes.  Plus it has non-volitile ram instead of dip-switches.

>Does it have a telephone extension jack on the
>back? Does it have a speaker and volume capibility?

Yes.  Yes (software controlled).

>Overall impressions?

With this avilable, there is no excuse for anyone to buy a 1200 baud modem.

	See Robo City News volume IV, issue 2 for a full review (415)593-2802.

|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{O_o} .     Bryce Nesbitt
 (")        BIX: mleeds (temporarily)
  U	    USENET: bryce@eris.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!eris!bryce

sin@thelink.UUCP (Mike Wiggins) (03/06/88)

 I have a Supra Modem 1200 and love it!!! It is Hayes compatable, has
a phone jack to plug your phone into, has three volume settings for
the speaker and Work GREAT!!!

keith@pyr.gatech.EDU (W. Keith Edwards) (03/07/88)

In article <131@thelink.UUCP> sin@thelink.UUCP (Mike Wiggins) writes:

> I have a Supra Modem 1200 and love it!!! It is Hayes compatable, has
>a phone jack to plug your phone into, has three volume settings for
>the speaker and Work GREAT!!!

I'm sold!  There have been a number of messages listing the price at $139.
Who has 'em for this price??

--
keith edwards -- the clouds project
  school of information & computer science	          georgia tech

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (03/07/88)

In article <1086@ektools.UUCP> barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
> Does anyone have information on the Supra 2400 baud modem for example,
> is it Hayes compatible?
  yes... tis Hayes (TM) compatible with a plethora of extended commands.

> Does it have a telephone extension jack on the back?
  yes

> Does it have a speaker and volume capibility?
  yes

>  Overall impressions?
  very positive ... to date.

> Thanks for the help.
>
> Chris

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
                             UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling
  // /_ |\/||/_ /_           PHONE 215-431-9275
\X/ /  \|  ||\//  \          ` CALM DOWN ! It's only 1's and 0's ! '

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/13/88)

In article <5143@pyr.gatech.EDU> keith@pyr.UUCP (W. Keith Edwards) writes:
>I'm sold!  There have been a number of messages listing the price at $139.
>Who has 'em for this price??

Why on earth would anyone buy a 1200 baud modem for $139 when they
could get a 2400 for $225?  It's not even 100 bucks extra and well
worth waiting for.  I've seen it for $225 in Canada (@WoC) so I'm sure
that you could get it for less than that American.

>keith edwards -- the clouds project
--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (03/14/88)

In article <335@brambo.UUCP> morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) writes:
>In article <5143@pyr.gatech.EDU> keith@pyr.UUCP (W. Keith Edwards) writes:
>>I'm sold!  There have been a number of messages listing the price at $139.
>>Who has 'em for this price??
>
>Why on earth would anyone buy a 1200 baud modem for $139 when they
>could get a 2400 for $225?  It's not even 100 bucks extra and well
>worth waiting for.  I've seen it for $225 in Canada (@WoC) so I'm sure
>that you could get it for less than that American.
>
>>keith edwards -- the clouds project
>--
>Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
>      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan
>"These might not even be my opinions, let alone anyone else's."

      Don't you hate it when people miss something?

     Morgan, the modems referred to (Supra 2400 for $139) ARE 2400 baud
modems.  No iffs, ands, or buts.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ----------------------|-------------------             |

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/19/88)

In article <5143@pyr.gatech.EDU> keith@pyr.UUCP (W. Keith Edwards) writes:
}In article <131@thelink.UUCP> sin@thelink.UUCP (Mike Wiggins) writes:
}>
}> I have a Supra Modem 1200 and love it!!! It is Hayes compatable, has
			^^^^
}
}I'm sold!  There have been a number of messages listing the price at $139.
                                                                      ^^^^
}Who has 'em for this price??
}
}--
}keith edwards -- the clouds project

OK?

--

keith@stratus.UUCP (Keith Edwards) (03/29/88)

In article <5143@pyr.gatech.EDU> I write:

>I'm sold!  There have been a number of messages listing the price at $139.
>                                                                      ^^^^
>}ho has 'em for this price??

	Just in case anyone else is curious, I found a place that has
	the Supra *2400* for $139.  The address is --
		Computer Mart
		105 Lynn Street
		Nacogdoches, TX  75961
		800-443-8236
	Shipping is free, so this is the best deal I've found yet.

lateron,
keith