[comp.sys.amiga] More colors from the Amiga

rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/25/88)

[ Drunks Against Mad Mothers just held a convention in my head . . . ]

And this was the result.  I want to plug a 500 into a slot on my 2000!
Well, a small 500.  Synchronized with the 2000.  Communicating somehow.
With some better NTSC stuff onboard, and larger DAC's, to give me more
colors, two blitters, and other great stuff.  Just for better broadcast
quality and more colors.  Nah, wouldn't work.  I'm outta here.

-tom

In article <2168@polya.STANFORD.EDU> (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
->And this was the result.  I want to plug a 500 into a slot on my 2000!
->Well, a small 500.  Synchronized with the 2000.  Communicating somehow.
->With some better NTSC stuff onboard, and larger DAC's, to give me more
->colors, two blitters, and other great stuff.  Just for better broadcast
->quality and more colors.  Nah, wouldn't work.  I'm outta here.

But it does work sort of. You rackmount three Amiga 500's and let each
one produce a color, in 32 color mode using they're monochrome out
lines you can display 32,768 colors simultaneously. And each color
plane has it's own blitter! Build a Sync generator, genlock all three
and then run their outputs to an RGB monitor. Simple no? Keeping
ScrollRaster() from flashing though is a real pain! :-)

--Chuck McManis

avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Aaron Avery) (03/29/88)

In article <46959@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> But it does work sort of. You rackmount three Amiga 500's and let each
> one produce a color, in 32 color mode using they're monochrome out
> lines you can display 32,768 colors simultaneously. And each color
> plane has it's own blitter! Build a Sync generator, genlock all three
> and then run their outputs to an RGB monitor. Simple no? Keeping
> ScrollRaster() from flashing though is a real pain! :-)

Actually, that's not a pain, since each Amiga is only displaying one bitplane.
ScrollRaster() only has problems because it scrolls one plane at a time.
Since the three machines are genlocked, you merely synchronize the ScrollRaster
calls via WaitTOF(), and instant no flashing scrolling! The specifics regarding
the interCOMPUTER communication would probably be a bit rough.

Aaron Avery (avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu)
	    ({seismo,caip,allegra,harvard,rutgers,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!avery)