[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with "USENET Seal of Approval"

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/28/88)

I don't think these ad hoc usenet projects are stable enough in the long
term to support something like this.  Also, I don't think we can speak
as Usenet - we'd have to call it something else.  Further, what incentive
does a software vendor have to get their products approved?  None, unless
software purchasers demand it (and they probably won't, at least not on
their own) or the vendors are made to feel the heat in other ways, like
by being continuously flamed in AmigaWorld and Amazing Computing for writing
badly behaved, buggy software.
--
"Weekends were made for programming."  -me
..!uunet!nuchat!sugar!karl, Unix BBS (713) 438-5018

I've been staying out of this discussion because I have the same problems
with it as Karl. Who's gonna care about the USOA?

Perhaps Fred Fish can help. He's got an in at Amazing Computing. If AC starts
publishing the USOA ratings for programs that are already out there (who
wants to review TextCraft? :->), then we can start pulling in manufacturers.

We need someone to write an article setting down the criteria and send it to
AC (or maybe Transactor, even). Then next month we start the reviews. The
published reviews should merely consist of a list of things wrong with the
program, perhaps some scaling, then a final score. Low scores are better.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (03/30/88)

In article <1770@sugar.UUCP> karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>I don't think these ad hoc usenet projects are stable enough in the long
>term to support something like this.

   I disagree.. moderation is pretty stable despite the fact that it is
usenet based and the moderators change... in fact, it is probably even
*more* stable to the outside now because we are a group rather than a single
person.
   So, I think this *can* work, but it may require some fairly dedicated
people to get it started... but at least it is being started as a group
project rather than one person trying to do it all.

>Further, what incentive does a software vendor have to get their products
>approved?  None, unless software purchasers demand it (and they probably
>won't, at least not on their own)

   True, but if the requirememnts are made well known, it might become a
point that the purchasers use when selecting software.. I know that a rating
that says if a program will multitask, or runs with extended memory would
have some bearing when *I* decide to purchase a piece of software.

>"Weekends were made for programming."  -me

   :-)

-- Pat White
ARPA/UUCP: k.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (03/30/88)

have official backing.
Expires:
In article <1770@sugar.UUCP> karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>I don't think these ad hoc usenet projects are stable enough in the long
>term to support something like this.  Also, I don't think we can speak
>as Usenet - we'd have to call it something else.  Further, what incentive
>does a software vendor have to get their products approved?  None, unless
>software purchasers demand it (and they probably won't, at least not on
>their own) or the vendors are made to feel the heat in other ways, like
>by being continuously flamed in AmigaWorld and Amazing Computing for writing
>badly behaved, buggy software.
>--
>"Weekends were made for programming."  -me
>..!uunet!nuchat!sugar!karl, Unix BBS (713) 438-5018

Admittedly it could be unstable, that's why I'm being careful.  Concern has be
voiced over funding, I will take care of it (plus any kind souls out there)
and I have had offers from potential reviewers to pay their own shipping, they
don't mind.  Somone said they beleived there could be sticky legal
implications involving the net; I have not been flamed by any Netgods, and
several higher-ups have offered to review.  My node administrator has
consulted a lawyer as well, there are no problems.

You aren't considering the way a company sells their product.  NOONE goes out
to the store to buy a product they never heard of (though they do browse).
When a company submits an item to us they know that several hundred to several
thousand people will read the reviews (I've had quite a few offers to post on
bbs's, some 20 bbs's now with 80-400+ users on each).  So for only the cost of
thier product they get BIG advertising return.  The actual cost to a company
for a product is quite a bit smaller than the shelf price, and their return is
that many times greater.

I think we can speak for the net, we are the net.  If you think you are the
net and aren't being represented then say so...

We might call it somthing else anyway, but U-R's is so catchy ;-)

-Joe