[comp.sys.amiga] PAL and Audio

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/25/88)

I just saw the "Pal [sic] and Audio" article in AmigaMail (a support
publication from CBM, contact CATS for info).  The article states you
should look at GfxBase->DisplayFlags to find out if you're running on
a PAL or NTSC machine, for determining clock rates (to accuarately
generate audio frequencies and periods).

Why not use SysBase->VBlankFrequency instead?  Wouldn't it be more
accurate?

 PAL    3.546895                 50Hz
 ---- = -------- = 0.990878      ---- = 0.833333
 NTSC   3.579545                 60Hz

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice) (03/28/88)

In article <5679@swan.ulowell.edu>, Bob Page (page@swan.ulowell.edu) writes:

>  PAL    3.546895
>  ---- = -------- = 0.990878
>  NTSC   3.579545

Perhaps I have missed a whole lot of context, but the European PAL standards
use a subcarrier frequency of 4.43361875 MHz.  Thus, this equation would
be:

  PAL    4.43361875
  ---- = ---------- = 1.238598
  NTSC   3.579545

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

In article <4925@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
> In article <5679@swan.ulowell.edu>, Bob Page (page@swan.ulowell.edu) writes:
>
> >  PAL    3.546895
> >  ---- = -------- = 0.990878
> >  NTSC   3.579545
>   PAL    4.43361875
>   NTSC   3.579545

Well, you're both sort of right.  The PAL burst frequency is 4.433 MHz,
however a "PAL" amiga uses a multiple of the 3.546 MHz frequency for
its internal time base, and the 4.433 MHz is generated by frequency
multiplication/division in the composite video or genlock circuitry...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr