[comp.sys.amiga] Aztec bug in compilet-time arithmetic

jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) (03/31/88)

In article <8803292144.AA02827@MATH.Tau.Ac.IL> <finkel%TAURUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>I was just wondering if Aztec fixed the bug which guru's the compiler on 3.4b
>
>{
>1/0;
>}
>
>Will GURU the compiler since it will try to optimize this by computing it at
>compilt time, but the compiler doesn't check for Zero befor dividing, so it
>GURUs.
>
>I wanted to GURU my program at a certain point, but instead guru'ed my compiler.

You're a sick man for trying such a maneuver.

I've run into another problem with the compiler trying to do arithmetic,
in Manx 3.6a. Any float expression that yields a constant, e.g.  (float)
1 / (float) 2, causes the compiler to abort with the message "No ieee
library, Abort by user". However, something like one = 1; two = 2;
one_half = (float) one / (float) two; works since (I assume)
compile-time arithmetic is avoided.

Does anyone know if this is what's actually happening? Or is the fault mine
for not putting a library in the right directory at compile time?

Jack Orenstein