[comp.sys.amiga] 1000 owners get sticked?

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (03/26/88)

I think it is possible that 1000 owners are taking the wrong position in
terms of support and expansion.  When they bought their 1000's did they
expect to have the expansion that the 2000 provides?  They don't have a
CPU slot or video slot,   and without a '2000-in-1' type deal, no zorro.
They don't have a 200 watt power supply or the new keyboard or the standard-
ized parallel/serial ports.
BUT- They DO have an AMIGA.  Yes, it still runs Amiga software.  And it
runs just fine without a 68020 card or 2086.  If they NEED those
peripherals, then they know how to get them.  I have a 1MB 2drive A500
and after computer-hopping from VIC 20 to C64 to C128, I feel I have
found a computer that will do what I need it to do and most
efficiently.
I don't have any compulsion (and neither should 1000'ers) to keep up
with the "Joneses (aka 2000s)" just because Commodore does.  Its their
job.  If we require the new technology to do our jobs, then we can
get '2000-in-1' or 1000/500 specific products.  Or buy a 2000.
All I can say is what did you expect from your computer when you
bought it?
-------
    ____  _   __  __   __                             \Marc Rifkin    \
   /   / /|  /_  /   / \    of \      /                \R38@PSUVM.EDU  \
  /---  /-| /__ /_/ /  _\       \\  //                  \132 Beaver Hall\
 /    \                          \\// E R T E C H  , Inc.\Univ. Park, Pa.\
        "No Matter Where You go,  \/  --=======--         \16802          \
         There You Are." -BB & MM                          \814-862-6892   \

jxc@rayssdb.ray.com (Jeffrey J. Clesius) (03/30/88)

In article <37321R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>All I can say is what did you expect from your computer when you
>bought it?

When I purchased my 1000, I knew it had a bus expansion connector.
I expected Commodore to produce a 'standard' expansion chassis and an
interface definition from which many third party developers could produce
expansion cards.  The lack of a standard chassis lead to SOTS cards and
conflicting expansion chassis' with differing power and interface
requirements; the change in the Zorro interface lead to many third party
drop outs in the Amiga market.  The expandability that I expected to be
produced for my 1000 did not come to fruition.

The fact that the 2000 and the 500 are being done correctly does not
change the fact that they dropped the ball on the 1000...

And THAT I did NOT expect when I bought my computer!

(Yes, Commodore did provide me with the opportunity to 'purchase an expansion
chassis' by offering the 1000+1000=2000 trade-in.  I just didn't have the $$.
This isn't a cry of moral outrage, it's an honest response to your question.)
     __________
    /         /_     "Into each life some reign must fall."
   /         / /
  /   From the desk of:  ----------------------------------------------------
 /________ / /       Jeffrey Jay Clesius,   Raytheon Submarine Signal Division
  /_________/        1847 West Main Road,   Mail Stop 188
                     Portsmouth, RI         (401) 847-8000 (X4015)

{ allegra | gatech | mirror | raybed2 } ----\
{ linus   | ihnp4  | uiucdcs } -------------->!rayssd!jxc   jxc@rayssd.ray.com

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (04/02/88)

In article <37321R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>I think it is possible that 1000 owners are taking the wrong position in
>terms of support and expansion.  When they bought their 1000's did they
>expect to have the expansion that the 2000 provides?
>
>BUT- They DO have an AMIGA.  Yes, it still runs Amiga software.
>All I can say is what did you expect from your computer when you
>bought it?

I've had it with this. I bought my 1000 expecting to have an expandable
computer. I knew that the standard expansion for the system was to be
card cage style, with an expansion box. I knew that the people buying
SOTS (Slat On The Side) boxes because they were cheaper were buying themselves
into a hole. I knew that auto-config was to be standard. I bought a mid-level
cage, and top of the line memory board, knowing that if I needed a better
cage for non-memory board products, I had a significant discount on it.

Suddenly, C= announces a new expansion standard. No more zorro-1 products
came out; although I can upgrade my minirack, it would do me no good.
And the 2001, or so I've heard, takes up as much space as my amiga, and
would push my other computer off the desk. Sorry, I don't have that much
space.

So why didn't I get a 2000? After all, they are 100% software compatible,
right?

Right. The Transformer doesn't work on the 2000. Hell, the ROMS don't
work on a 2000 (try to recover from a recoverable aleart. Yes I know,
a patch is availible now, about a YEAR after the 2000 came out).

And they have ROMS. I LIKE Kickstart. That was one feature that attracted
me to the 1000 in the first place.

And I could have gotten a huge discount on my 2000. For $1100, I'd have
a computer, minus monitor. Minus bridgeboard. Minus second drive.
Complete packages were going for only $2000; I wasn't saving much.

(Yes, minus monitor/drive; thats with the buyback. Or, I save 100, and
lose my 1000; I felt it was worth 100 easily.)

And then there were the timing tests. The 2000 came out oh-so-fast.
Much faster. About 80% of the speed, if I remember correctly. Never
did find out if the machines really were slower, or if the timing
software hit a difference between the 1000 and the 2000.

But the bottom line remains: I bought my 1000 expecting to be able
to expand it.
			Michael
--
: Michael Gersten          uunet.uu.net!ucla-an.ANES\
:				 ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!denwa!stb!michael