[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG's track record.

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/28/88)

Yes, well ASDG certainly does seem to be in the running for the numero
uno Phantomware company.  I've been waiting to see if the SDP is
priced within my range, but now I'm not so sure I'd buy one even if it
was since I don't know that I could trust them to support it.

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (03/30/88)

In article <379@brambo.UUCP> morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) writes:
>Yes, well ASDG certainly does seem to be in the running for the numero
>uno Phantomware company.  I've been waiting to see if the SDP is
>priced within my range, but now I'm not so sure I'd buy one even if it
>was since I don't know that I could trust them to support it.

Piffle! I don't own any ASDG products, and I'm not affiliated with the company
in any way (I've never even *communicated* directly with anyone affiliated with
the company), but I have several friends and business associates who use ASDG
products.  Their unanimous opinion has always been that ASDG won't put a
product to market *unless* it is a supportable product.  In other words, they
put a lot more work into ensuring a clean design, good construction, and the
other quality-related "details" that so many other manufacturers, well, do not
stress.  Also, those two who *have* had problems with their ASDG products (one
had an installation question) found ASDG extremely helpful.

Given the reports I've heard from actual customers, it seems that the
conclusion to draw from the fact of ASDG deployment delays is not that ASDG
can't support their products, but that they won't release a product that isn't
fully supportable.  This is not a case of delay due to last-minute kludging, it
is a delay due to overzealous quality assurance.  I don't think quality zealots
can *resist* supporting their babies; I'm planning on owning an SDP as soon as
it is available.

Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must first be stupid
 enough to want it."   -- G.K. Chesterson

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/31/88)

I've also heard nothing but praise for ASDG products.  I don't mind
that they take the time to do it right, unlike some peripheral
manufacturers who ship it first then blame the Amiga after.

Still again, I found it interesting to see an ASDG ad in Amazing Computing
that declared in BIG TYPE something like "REAL SOON NOW ... words you
will NEVER hear from ASDG!"

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) wrote:
>I'm planning on owning an SDP as soon as it is available.

Perry's been often quoted as saying the SDP will get you transfer rates
of 400,000 bytes/sec.  Steve Beats at CBM gets >600K/s with the A2090
and a 100M Conner SCSI disk and the FastFileSystem, and said he thinks
he can do better.  I wonder if the need for an SDP has dried up?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (04/01/88)

Well, I guess I could have gone into a little more detail.  About 6
months ago, I received marketing information abut the 2000-and-1 and
the SDP (and pricing for the 2000-and-1).  The fact that I received
said marketing information would indicate that the products would be
available, or at least a shipping date announced, in a reasonable
period of time.

It's great that ASDG takes the time to do things right, but there is a
limit.

--

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (04/02/88)

In article <5861@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Perry's been often quoted as saying the SDP will get you transfer rates
>of 400,000 bytes/sec.  Steve Beats at CBM gets >600K/s with the A2090
>and a 100M Conner SCSI disk and the FastFileSystem, and said he thinks
>he can do better.  I wonder if the need for an SDP has dried up?

Ah, but Perry was committed to providing 400Kb/sec with the *SLOW*
file system.  If the same fast/slow ratio applies (say 600/60 for the
sake of argument) that would imply that SDP might get 4000Kb/sec, which
does seem a little high  :-)

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fishpond!fnf     (602) 921-1113
# Ye Olde Fishpond, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281  USA