[comp.sys.amiga] Need list of Monitors

mjw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Witbrock) (03/31/88)

Could someone send me a list of monochrome monitors (of the cheap, IBMish sort)
known to work with the amiga 1000. I have two amigas and only one monitor,
and I need another.

Characteristics I am looking for in  monitor are a) low price.
 b) reasonable resolution (i.e. non interlace should look OK, at least).

Could someone also tell me how one goes about adapting the funny IBM monitor
plugs for amiga use.
thanks
michael

--
Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu mjw@cs.cmu.edu                          \
US Mail: Michael Witbrock/ Dept of Computer Science                  \

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (04/02/88)

In article <1260@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>Could someone send me a list of monochrome monitors (of the cheap, IBMish sort)
>known to work with the amiga 1000. I have two amigas and only one monitor,
>and I need another.

You don't want to use an IBM type monochrome monitor with your Amiga -
the IBM expects vastly different horizontal/vertical sync timing.  Instead,
find an Apple ][ monochrome monitor.  Apples have NTSC compatible
composite outputs, as does your Amiga, and the composite monitors are
as cheap as the IBM guys are.  I've used a USI EV-2131 with great success,
and it's slightly longer persistance even makes interlace mode look
better.  With the A2000/A500 monochrome composite output, it gave very
good results in almost every application I tried.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate