[comp.sys.amiga] SDB: What no menus?

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (03/23/88)

I have just received Manx 3.6 and SDB.  I also have a new A2000, so
I am rather new to programming on the Amiga.  However, I have been
using the Microsoft C 4.0 for about 2 years on a PC.  Having grown up
with Codeview as a source-level debugger, I found the learning curve
to be very short or fast because of the convenient window/menu interface.

Why is there no menu interface for SDB????  I mean come on why have a mouse
and such a nice window system on the Amiga, and ignore the menus.

Before I get flamed about being seemingly unhappy with SDB, I do see features
that have as much or more power than Codeview, but since I'm not fluent
with SDB yet, I won't tell (can't remember) you what I saw.  I am only
complaining about the menus and lack thereof.

William J. Murphy                 | ...ground! That's it! That's a good name-
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu  | ground!  I wonder if it will be friends
                                  | with me?  Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide

shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) (03/26/88)

Hi~

Today I received my package of Aztec 3.6 with sdb.
It is absolutely great. After knowing CodeV*ew on the PC's
and a year of not having a SourceLevelDebugger on the Amiga
I am absolutely happy. If there were a "Oscar" for Amiga-
Software Jim Goodnow II would deserve it. *REALLY*.
But I do not agree with William Murphy. A debugger needs
no pulldownstuff at all. I stopped using the menus in CodeVi*w
after some hours and I don't miss them in SDB.
Maybe it makes learning easier but I think it is not worth
the effort.

Everyone who don't have Aztec, sell your compiler and order
3.6 with sdb!

C u
Markus
|._,|
 - -
==O==
 `-'   Btw. I have nothing to do with Manx. Just a customer

In article <935@rmi.UUCP| shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) writes:
|Today I received my package of Aztec 3.6 with sdb.
|It is absolutely great. After knowing CodeV*ew on the PC's
|and a year of not having a SourceLevelDebugger on the Amiga
|I am absolutely happy. If there were a "Oscar" for Amiga-
|Software Jim Goodnow II would deserve it. *REALLY*.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Everyone who don't have Aztec, sell your compiler and order
|3.6 with sdb!

After having used SDB for over a month to debug 2 commercial programs
I concur with the above quote and more: I think SDB is the best thing
that was invented after sliced bread :-)  I found a number of bugs that
I believe would have taken me 3-4 times more time if I had to use DB (the
assembler debugger), printf and kprintf.  I sincerely hope CBM will
consider this when they'll hand out prizes at the Dev. Conf.  Jim
Goodnow II has done an immense good job for us Amiga developers.  At
this point in time, any commercial developer that is NOT using SDB is
clearly shooting himself in the foot, unless he has invested too much
development in Lattice C.  And consider that MANX is actually giving
away SDB at the price they are selling it.

-- Marco Papa

uucp:...!pollux!papa    BIX:papa    ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu

   "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (03/28/88)

In article <7901@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>.... At
>this point in time, any commercial developer that is NOT using SDB is
>clearly shooting himself in the foot, unless he has invested too much
>development in Lattice C.
>-- Marco Papa

	Of course, some of us don't need debuggers!   :-)

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

In article <7901@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>After having used SDB for over a month to debug 2 commercial programs
>I concur with the above quote and more: I think SDB is the best thing
>that was invented after sliced bread :-)  [ ... ]  At
>this point in time, any commercial developer that is NOT using SDB is
>clearly shooting himself in the foot, [ ... ]

SmugSelfRighteousMode (ON);

	I have never encountered a bug that I couldn't have discovered by
taking a good, studious look at the source code.

	Further, I have never encountered a debugger that didn't introduce
more problems than it solved.

	Conclusion:  Debuggers are for weenies.

	So there.  Nyahh!  PTHhptbhptbhtptbhpbtbhpttt!!!		:-)

[ This myopic view of debuggers is brought to you by near-sighted programmer
with a fashion sense only 400 years out of date whose only exposure to
debuggers were those available on the C-64. ]

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/29/88)

In article <5550@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	I have never encountered a bug that I couldn't have discovered by
>taking a good, studious look at the source code.

I've never encountered a bug that I couldn't discover by looking at the
core dump in hex.

In article <5550@well.UUCP| ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
|In article <7901@oberon.USC.EDU| I [papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa)] write:
||After having used SDB for over a month to debug 2 commercial programs
||I concur with the above quote and more: I think SDB is the best thing
||that was invented after sliced bread :-)  [ ... ]  At
||this point in time, any commercial developer that is NOT using SDB is
||clearly shooting himself in the foot, [ ... ]

|	I have never encountered a bug that I couldn't have discovered by
|taking a good, studious look at the source code.

First, not everybody is a Leo Schwab.  Second, some humans [yes, you are
excluded Leo :-)] find it easier to see the "dynamic" of an executing program
while stepping through it, than looking at a "static" piece of paper.
Also, I am very lazy and prefer to just single step or breakpoint looking
at the code in another window.  Also when the code is more than 5,000 line
long, I sincerely don't remember what is going on, especially if it is
code I wrote over two years ago.

|	Further, I have never encountered a debugger that didn't introduce
|more problems than it solved.

So far I have not found one problem that was introduced by SDB that I didn't
already have before. Maybe I have been lucky.  Is there anybody else that
has done some serious debugging with SDB?

-- Marco Papa

uucp:...!pollux!papa    BIX:papa    ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu

"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" - Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab [Rick Unland]

shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) (03/29/88)

In article <7901@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
: In article <935@rmi.UUCP| shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) writes:
: |Today I received my package of Aztec 3.6 with sdb.
: |It is absolutely great. After knowing CodeV*ew on the PC's
: |and a year of not having a SourceLevelDebugger on the Amiga
: |I am absolutely happy. If there were a "Oscar" for Amiga-
: |Software Jim Goodnow II would deserve it. *REALLY*.
:           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:
: After having used SDB for over a month to debug 2 commercial programs
: I concur with the above quote and more: I think SDB is the best thing
: that was invented after sliced bread :-)  I found a number of bugs that
: I believe would have taken me 3-4 times more time if I had to use DB (the
Hi!

Yes I was surprised, how easy SDB handled a program with 180K Source
and a code of 70 to 80K. Ok it needed much memory but it did it.
I suppose the debugger debugged itself heavily before being shipped.
To find one special bug in my program I waited until I got SDB. And it
was worth it. I found it within 1 hour. Otherwise it would have tied me
upfor a minimum of two day.
I absolutely aggree with Marco. Everyone not using it looses points
in the competition.

|._,|   Cu
 - -    Markus
==O==   (shimoda@rmi.UUCP)
 `-'    Never trust a smiling cat!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/29/88)

in article <5550@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) says:

> [ This myopic view of debuggers is brought to you by near-sighted programmer
> with a fashion sense only 400 years out of date whose only exposure to
> debuggers were those available on the C-64. ]

There were no debuggers on the C-64.  There were, however, things called
"monitors" and the like.  We even put one in the ROM of the C128.  Still,
there's a good reason these things were called monitors.  So you wouldn't
get to thinking that what a debugger was all about.

I tried SDB about a month ago, wrote a review on it, and I still haven't
touched Lattice since then...

> Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

malibo@arizona.edu (Rob McConeghy) (03/29/88)

In article <2211@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
> In article <5550@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> >	I have never encountered a bug that I couldn't have discovered by
> >taking a good, studious look at the source code.
>
> I've never encountered a bug that I couldn't discover by looking at the
> core dump in hex.

Bug ??  What's a bug ??  ::-)

Seriously though, next to not making stupid mistakes in the first place
I, too, prefer the "look at the source and think about it" method, also known
as gedanken-debuggen.

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (03/31/88)

In article <5550@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <7901@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>After having used SDB for over a month to debug 2 commercial programs
>>I concur with the above quote and more: I think SDB is the best thing
>>that was invented after sliced bread :-)  [ ... ]  At
>>this point in time, any commercial developer that is NOT using SDB is
>>clearly shooting himself in the foot, [ ... ]
>
>SmugSelfRighteousMode (ON);
>
>	I have never encountered a bug that I couldn't have discovered by
>taking a good, studious look at the source code.
>	Conclusion:  Debuggers are for weenies.

Well, I've had the debugger for a few weeks now, and I've been very pleased
with it.  It's saved my can more than a number of times.  For one thing it
really helped me understand the low level IFF routines (no small feat).  But,
I do agree with Leo to a point.  I use the Debugger as a kind of last resort.
SBD is good in that it will tap you on the shoulder and say "Hey, STUPID!!
Your error is right in front of your nose!"  Also, even with the Debugger, you
still have to take a good, studious look at your source code.  SDB helps a
LOT with telling you where to look.  I have already saved hours that I would
have spent doing African Safari Bug Hunts (sounds like a good game title :-).
I would still recommend the Debugger to all Manx C programmers.  Even Leo.
The only other debugger I've used is UNIX dbx.  SDB beats it hands down.
Happy Hacking Everyone!
--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Weird, the Weird go Professional

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (03/31/88)

In article <7922@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <5550@well.UUCP| ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>|	I have never encountered a bug that I couldn't have discovered by
>|taking a good, studious look at the source code.
>|	Further, I have never encountered a debugger that didn't introduce
>|more problems than it solved.
>
>So far I have not found one problem that was introduced by SDB that I didn't
>already have before. Maybe I have been lucky.  Is there anybody else that
>has done some serious debugging with SDB?

I used to use "debug" on VAX/VMS whenever I ran into a problem that "couldn't
be -- I looked and looked for it."  Invariably I would have solved the problem
*substantially* faster if I had just put in a few debug statements and thought
about it a little.

Then there are the bugs that go away when you run with the debugger 'cause the
bug is the fact that you're screwing around with the stack incorrectly or
not passing the right number of arguments or something.

In any case, in my hours and hours of trying to debug programs with a run-time
debugger, the only time it's ever really helped was the day I used sdb on
rogue (again on the VAX, but this time in the Eunice subsystem) to find
where he stored the wizard pw, then find it was encrypted, and finally to
replace the original pw with my own encrypted one so I could become
a wizard myself.  :-)

-Joe
--
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe                Dayton Hudson Department Store Company
ATT : (612) 375-3537                    Joe Larson/MIS 1060

darin@laic.UUCP (Darin Johnson) (04/01/88)

In article <1187@percival.UUCP>, baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
> The only other debugger I've used is UNIX dbx.  SDB beats it hands down.
> Happy Hacking Everyone!
> 	-Ken Baer.

Yes, it does beat dbx.  However, I find dbxtool on the Suns to be about
equivalent (maybe not as powerful, but easier to use).  I find
DEBUG on VAX/VMS even more powerful (even though it still can't figure
out C strings).  It has a screen mode, with optional register window
(I REALLY would like this in SDB), commands aren't cryptic and
may be abbreviated (in dbx I have to always alias print, step, etc
in .dbxinit), as well as having lots of powerful commands.  It even
lets you debug Ada tasks (if you're into that sort of thing).  The only
real drawbacks are that you can't restart your program without leaving
the debugger (ugh), and you often have to dereference C strings to print
them (even then it sometimes doesn't work), and it has lots of VMS-isms.

It would be nice if debugger writers for UNIX or Amiga could take a look
at this debugger sometimes instead of assuming that if it does better than
the dbx/sdb/adb suite that it must be pretty good.  Of course, writing
(or even porting) debuggers is hard enough without having to try and please
everybody.

Kudo's to Jim for en excellent debugger.  It has helped me find lots
of bugs, and even bugs that hadn't surfaced yet!

--
Darin Johnson (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...lll-lcc.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (04/03/88)

In a pervious posting Mr. Schwab writes:
>	Conclusion:  Debuggers are for weenies.
>
>	So there.  Nyahh!  PTHhptbhptbhtptbhpbtbhpttt!!!		:-)
>
>[ This myopic view of debuggers is brought to you by near-sighted programmer
>with a fashion sense only 400 years out of date whose only exposure to
>debuggers were those available on the C-64. ]

[Smiley mode ON please!]

Oh man...you've been missing out!  My view of C (and Pascal)
programming was completely turned around (well, maybe not in the case
of Pascal ;-) when I discovered such useful tools as SDB and DBX on
UNIX.  They've helped me out of a tight corner more than once.  And
even though they are awkward and somewhat buggy, I have worked on
projects that would have been much much harder without a symbolic
debugger (like, writing one program in two-and-a-half different
languages and tying the modules together via linking).  Symoblic
debuggers a definite plus in my book.

Your fashion sense may be a bit out-dated (although it will likely
come back into style soon ;-), but I urge you to update your style in
debuggers!

[Smiley mode OFF please!]

						-Chris

--