[comp.sys.amiga] A2090 + st251 won't prep problem

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (03/31/88)

Frustration to the nth power squared.  I just hooked up my a2090
controller to my st251 and have found it impossible to prep the
damn thing.  By the way, great error messages that program has --
Device not PREPed -- thanx, I can see that.  ;-)

Symptoms: Prep asks me a bunch of questions and then starts to prep
the 1st 2 cylinders.  The little green access light on my drive starts
running -- runs for short while (I didn't time it) and goes out.
Meanwhile, the prep program appears to have hung -- I get no message
saying it's done prepping or about to reboot, nothing.  The pointer and
other windows still work...

2 questions:  Where should the jumper on the st251 be, the one between
the cable/board edges?

              What's else am I doing wrong!?!

Thanx in advance,
--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

"I say, why are those buildings swaying like trees?"

cs178abu@sdcc8.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (04/03/88)

In article <927@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:

>Frustration to the nth power squared.  I just hooked up my a2090
>controller to my st251 and have found it impossible to prep the
>damn thing.  By the way, great error messages that program has --
>Device not PREPed -- thanx, I can see that.  ;-)
>
>2 questions:  Where should the jumper on the st251 be, the one between
>the cable/board edges?
>
>              What's else am I doing wrong!?!

  On page 5 of the 2090 user's guide the jumper settings are shown.
The jumper should be set to 0, which is farthest away from the
cables (it's probably set on pin 1).  Looking from the front of the
Amiga, move the jumper to the far right position.  Check you cables.
  Run install, then quit before Prep.  Edit your RES0: make sure you
change Surfaces to 6.  Now Prep the drive.  If you want to partition
your drive, be sure to set the last cylinder used by the first
partition less than 819.  For example, for four 10M partitions, set
it to 205.  When you set up your following partitions, change LowCyl
to 206, HighCyl to 411, then next part. 412-619, then 620-819.
That's the general pattern, you can set it up any way you like.  Just
read page 30 & on for more info.  When you're done, run
binddrivers, mount all of the partitions (all but dh0:), then format
all of them (Not RES0:, of course).
  Finally, the Prep program does not hang.  You do not have to
reboot.  Just hit control-c, and you're free...

  John