[comp.sys.amiga] devices and directories

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (04/02/88)

[still xposting till I hear that .tech is official]

I'm trying to implement a directory-structured device.  Is this
possible?  I want to create a device PATH: such that someone could say

	1> dir PATH:
or	1> dir PATH:fred

I know how to implement my own Examine() and ExNext() for this device,
in principle at least, but I don't know how to set up a device to handle
this.  I have Matt's PIPE:  device code, but it doesn't seem to be
directory-structured.  (I never tried it:  what happens if I type "dir
PIPE:" ?)  Neither do any of the Amiga-supplied devices.  Is there such a
thing as a directory-structured device?  If so, how do I implement one?

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

qix@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Ed Puckett) (04/03/88)

In article <842@goedel.quintus.UUCP>, pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
> [still xposting till I hear that .tech is official]
>
> I'm trying to implement a directory-structured device.  Is this
> possible?  I want to create a device PATH: such that someone could say
>
> 	1> dir PATH:
> or	1> dir PATH:fred

My pipe-handler implements a one-level directory mechanism by responding
to the proper packets and by returning Locks when requested.  It and its
source code are available on the Software Distillery BBS and also
on a Fred Fish Disk (approx #84 -- I can't remember which one exactly).

Extending the scheme to handle subdirectories as well would not be too much
harder, but would require additional bookkeeping.

Viva Amiga!  What other PC allows such flexibility?!

				-Ed Puckett.