[comp.sys.amiga] The Amiga video

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/25/88)

In article <457@apctrc.UUCP>, lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) writes:

> I personally enjoyed the heck out of it!  It was fun playing name that program
> (trying to guess what was done with which display) and I liked the music.

This only works if you already own an Amiga and some of the programs.  If you
don't, it's not nearly as interesting.

> The only thing that I had a hard time swallowing was the "rock-n-roll" segment
> where they were showing the two guys jamming on keyboard and amiga.  Looked
> like they were having seizures. Good grief!!

The only thing missing was a snoopy scarf being blown back by the speakers :-)
...then again, they could have had the old dennis-the-menace-tongue-half-out-
on-one-side-of-the-mouth-with-physical-effort...

I truly thought the feminine deoderant spokeswomans voice say 'I am the Amiga
personal computer' was a teensy bit silly.  I already get enough noise from
my freinds with Atari's pointing out that "amiga" means "girfreind".

> While the start was a little weak (primal mists, "..with powers beyond mortal
> computers..." voiceover.)
>
> Also glad they didn't start right out with games, in fact left them for last.

Yeah, they weren't pushing it as a toy until the last... then it was 'but if
you _r_e_a_l_l_y want a toy, it is one...'

> Wish they'd run the Amiga Computer Ads on STTNG.

That would be a good place, but if by '_t_h_e Amiga Computer Ads' the few I saw
when the Amiga first came out, I'd have to disagree.  They were juvenile.
Better that they come out with ads the quality of the 'footlocker' commercials
they've been showing before movies here-about's... you know, grvity ball, etc.

A good 10 or 20 minute block after ST:TNG on Saturday would be sufficient for
a 'The Making of Max Headroom' with special slant on the Amiga...

> Idle thought... did the artists who had their art work used in the ads
> (checker--raytracing, endless loop--Mr. Hastings, etc..)  get any credit for
> them, other than the pleasant satisfaction that comes from seeing your work
> in a major promotional ad?

I saw them listed, but if by 'credit' you mean credits, I don't think so.  It's
more likely CLtd included only those people they didn't have to pay; besides,
most of the people (NewTek, et al) probably helped pay for the thing.

I still say it wasn't production quality, although it is much better than the
advertising I've seen prior to that (almost none).  The problem is, you have to
1) be interested enough in the Amiga to go into the store in the first place,
or 2) have a freind who is who drags you in to see it.  It's simply the wrong
approach to get to people who don't already have one.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 }                          |
| @ Century Software          : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (03/29/88)

In article <379@wsccs.UUCP> terry@wsccs.UUCP writes:
>I truly thought the feminine deoderant spokeswomans voice say 'I am the Amiga
>personal computer' was a teensy bit silly.  I already get enough noise from
>my freinds with Atari's pointing out that "amiga" means "girfreind".

That's ok, just get back at 'em by pointing out that atari is Japanese
(actually, a term from the game of Go) that means "you're about to be
wiped out."   ;-)

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (04/03/88)

In article <379@wsccs.UUCP>, terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) writes:
> In article <457@apctrc.UUCP>, lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) writes:
> >
> > I personally enjoyed the heck out of it!  It was fun playing name that program

> A good 10 or 20 minute block after ST:TNG on Saturday would be sufficient for
> a 'The Making of Max Headroom' with special slant on the Amiga...

Even better, it seems that Moonlighting is always looking for ways
to stretch out their program. How about an Amiga segment there?
(Sure would beat Bert Viola singing.)

Come on Commodore, Apple and IBM are running circles around you in
the TV ad game, while I have to do all my Amiga shopping by mail
order.

	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
	LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK	|	ihnp4!ihlpm!jmdavis
	had I not written in it. 	|_________________________