[comp.sys.amiga] Where's the Amy 1000 Service??

sjacobs@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Steven Jacobs) (03/31/88)

Lets see if any of you are having the same problem as I am!
My Amy 1000 died 6 weeks ago. When I took it to the service center they
determined that it was the motherboard so I paid for a new one and they
ordered it. Well it was on back order and 2 weeks later I got my amiga back
only to find out that this NEW board was bad too! So off it went back to CBM
and that was the last I saw of it! It has been a total of 6 count them 6 weeks
now. After calling CBM myself and explaining the problem to several people at
my expense (Long distance) I was told that they were working on the problem
and it should be resolved by the middle of NEXT MONTH! (steam coming out of my
ears now!). That makes a total delay or lack of service of 9 to 10 weeks!!

  What is going on here? I was told by one person that the board had to come
from the FAR EAST, another person that they had not received their repaired
boards from the contractor and the other to simply said "I cannot make the
board for you!" is a rather sarcastic tone. I guess this is the type of
service AMY 1000 owners can expect? I hope not. The Amiga is a good computer
and I would hate to sell it if and when I get it finally repaired But unless I
am convinced that better service is available I will. I am losing time which
calculates directly to money for each day I am without my computer and unlink
CBM I am NOT made out of bucks!!

  Come on Commodore! Don't forget about the little guys!!!

UUCP: ....!crash!pro-charlotte!sjacobs       |    "I'd Rather be Drinking!"
ARPA: crash!pro-charlotte!sjacobs@nosc.mil   |    Than telling Pilots
INET: sjacobs@pro-charlotte.cts.com          |       Where to Go!!!

chris@ssbell.UUCP (Chris Olson) (04/02/88)

In article <2753@crash.cts.com> sjacobs@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Steven Jacobs) writes:

[lots of stuff deleted]

>ears now!). That makes a total delay or lack of service of 9 to 10 weeks!!

...don't feel bad.  I've been trying to chase down my hard
drive and controller from C Ltd. for about 4 weeks now.
They got the hard drive returned but are having a devil of a
time sending me the controller.  Fortunately I have and
excellent dealer who has loaned me his controller while C
Ltd. gets its act together.

[+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+]

     Chris Olson                          O
     (aka, Lord Valentine,           OXXXXI>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
           Electric Samurai,              O
           & other foolishness)
     (chris@cbosgd!ohgua!ugn!ssbell)

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (04/03/88)

In article <240@ssbell.UUCP> chris@ssbell.UUCP (0000-Chris Olson) writes:
>...don't feel bad.  I've been trying to chase down my hard
>drive and controller from C Ltd. for about 4 weeks now.
>They got the hard drive returned but are having a devil of a
>time sending me the controller.

Danger - flames and horror stories ahead.

Almost a year ago, when I still had my A1000 system, I bought a C Ltd.
disk system.  I worked really great for, oh, 4 days or so until the
drive crapped out.

Ship it back.

Wait.  Wait some more.  Hmm.. while I'm waiting, maybe I'll try to hack up
some device driver code.  Lets see how this autoconfig stuff works.. Plug
the C Ltd SCSI host adaptor back into the machine..  Gee, A1000 won't boot
anymore.

Ship it back.

Wait.  Wait some more.  Call (long distance, many times).  Finally, pissed and
moaned my way to a higher-up who Fed-Ex a new system to me.

It's dead too.

Screw this - Ship the whole thing back to the mail order place, and I actually
got them to refund all my money.  Total elapsed wasted time - about 4 months.

Since then, I decided the right way to do things is A1000->A2000 upgrade, a
A2090 hard diskcontroller, and ST251 disk.  Ths 2090/ST251 combination is
*really* wonderfull, and I'm sure the 2090's DMA has a lot to do with that.
I was real disapointed that the C Ltd host adaptor was interrupt driven only
with no DMA.  It really shows.

By the way, I've got real good things to say about C/A Wholesale Supply.  After
I related my horror story to them and asked for a refund, they credited my
VISA card with no hassle.  Good folks.

As you might expect, I'm not pleased the the C Ltd hardware, and will not
buy any of their stuff in the future.  A friend of mine who also bought a
C. Ltd disk system also had his crap out.  That doesn't bode well.  Maybe
things have improved since my experience, but I'm not going to chance it.

Oh, just to prevent any confusion, C Ltd is *not* Commodore;  they are a
third party peripheral manufacturer.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming