[comp.sys.amiga] Fonts on the Amiga

I'd like to address the subject of fonts on the Amiga.

Support for any arbitrary font is a desirable feature, and one I'm
certainly thankful for.

But why only support for fixed space fonts ?

such as directory listings, but when backspacing on a cli line or
when used in an editor (Z for example) behavior, although predictable,
is undesirable.

Yes, this would require keeping around more information per character
than now, but heavens, were talking about a machine that can have
more MEG of RAM on it that the first IBM-PC/XT's had for hard disks.

If this feature could not be supported by Commodore, how about
getting it in Shell V2.08 ?

----

The other subject I want to touch on is colorfonts. Color fonts are
fonts comprised of more than one bitplane.  They were invented by
Interactive Softworks, who developed _The Calligrapher_, a font
editing program.

Now, to use colorfonts, you have to run "colortext" - a wedge
that makes the system handle colorfonts instead of simple
single bitplane fonts.  The only program of which I'm aware that
already has built in colorfonts support is Prism Plus from Impulse.

Therein lies the rub.  The only way you can get the colortext program
is to buy _The Calligrapher_ for $100, or buy one of two commercially
available font disk sets that have the colortext wedge program on them.

If however you want to sell color fonts, how do you get colortext
licensing so you can put it on your disks with your fonts?

Well, Interactive Softworks was sold, lock, stock, barrel, name and
all to a company in San Diego (used to be up in the Bay Area), and
the new owner is unwilling to license colortext any further as he
doesn't want to have to support it in other peoples' product, a decision
for which I can't really fault him.

Ah but the plot thickens.  A knight in shining armor on the horizon.

Who ?  C=

I've learned that a source inside Commodore-Amiga  has said on "another
network" that 1.3 will have Heath's "fastfonts" and 1.4 will have color fonts
capability built-in.

If C= is going to support colorfonts, and since they have had the
colortext program license for a while now, what would be the chance of
C= releasing colortext before 1.4 as to allow artists to package font
disks with the one program they (and their customers) need to make them work.
Sure, in the real world, somebody buying a disk of color fonts may already
havec olortext from "another source" but what about the guy who doesn't;
that person is in amiga.color.font.limbo until 1.4 comes out.

Comments ?

--
..who come from long lines of soldiers,  | richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
whose destiny was fulfilled,             | ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax!gryphon!richard

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (03/27/88)

In article <3000@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard
Sexton) writes:
>But why only support for fixed space fonts ?

>such as directory listings, but when backspacing on a cli line or
>when used in an editor (Z for example) behavior, although predictable,
>is undesirable.
>
>Yes, this would require keeping around more information per character
>than now, [...]

Well, no, no extra information.  If you know from the font how wide
the character was when writing it going to the right, then you can
look at the same information to figure out how big a blank space to
write going to the left.  You do still have the ASCII code for the
character in the file you're editing, so you know what you are about
to delete, right?  The font table is still around for reference?

>The other subject I want to touch on is colorfonts. Color fonts are
>fonts comprised of more than one bitplane.  They were invented by
>Interactive Softworks, who developed _The Calligrapher_, a font
>editing program.

Not unless they invented color fonts before 1977, the first time I saw
them used.  Those have been in SIGGRAPH procedings stuff for a long,
long time.  We of ANSI X3H3 decided not to support them, directly as
fonts, in what became the GKS standard, in late 1979 or early 1980,
because they were beyond our charter.

>Comments ?

Well, you asked. ;-)  I restricted this to comp.sys.amiga, 'cause it
is more history lesson than a tech contribution.

Kent, the man from xanth.

:
:Well, no, no extra information.  If you know from the font how wide
:the character was when writing it going to the right, then you can
:look at the same information to figure out how big a blank space to

	Theoretically, yes, but compared to what you were doing before
	it's an expensive operation to do a dynamically sized bit-by-bit
	(optimized to a byte-by-byte) compare.  It makes more sense
	to have some notion of the characters which have already been
	output on the line, which requires saving a bit more information
	in some cases.

	You wouldn't have to save much more for, say, an editor.  But think
	of the cost of a cursor up?   Since you are probably not on the
	same column if using a proportional font, you need to scan the
	previous line and sum the widths of each character to determine
	where the cursor sits.

					-Matt

In article <4640@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Well, no, no extra information.  If you know from the font how wide
>the character was when writing it going to the right, then you can
>look at the same information to figure out how big a blank space to
>write going to the left.  You do still have the ASCII code for the
>character in the file you're editing, so you know what you are about
>to delete, right?

In the case of an editor program, sure, but not in the case of a generic
console window, where the characters that are on the screen are not saved
anywhere.  It's up to the application to decide to save the characters
that are on the screen.  Many applications don't need to save the
characters that have already been output.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

Kent has a point:

In article <4640@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <3000@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard
>Sexton) writes:
>>But why only support for fixed space fonts ?
>>
>>Yes, this would require keeping around more information per character
>>than now, [...]
>
>Well, no, no extra information.  If you know from the font how wide
>the character was when writing it going to the right, then you can
>look at the same information to figure out how big a blank space to
>write going to the left.  You do still have the ASCII code for the
>character in the file you're editing, so you know what you are about
>to delete, right?  The font table is still around for reference?

Bloody 'ell, 'es right.

Ok you people, no excuses now...  :-)

>>The other subject I want to touch on is colorfonts. Color fonts are
>>fonts comprised of more than one bitplane.  They were invented by
>>Interactive Softworks, who developed _The Calligrapher_, a font
>>editing program.
>
>Not unless they invented color fonts before 1977, the first time I saw
>them used.  Those have been in SIGGRAPH procedings stuff for a long,
>long time.  We of ANSI X3H3 decided not to support them, directly as
>fonts, in what became the GKS standard, in late 1979 or early 1980,
>because they were beyond our charter.

My mistake; bad terminology.

By "color fonts" I didn't mean fonts comprised of multiple colors in
an abstract sense, but rather, the specific format for color fonts
as they are used on the amiga developed by Interactive Softworks.

Hey, not bad for a non lawyer, that almost sounds legalese. Maybe theres
a future for me after all. Hey Leo! Need any legal help for this years
Siggraph ?

>>Comments ?
>
>Well, you asked. ;-)  I restricted this to comp.sys.amiga, 'cause it
>is more history lesson than a tech contribution.
>
>Kent, the man from xanth.

I'd really like an answer from sombody working on the shell or is in some way
resposible for the CLI.

Really really.

--
"I certainly don't have to defend the most profitable corporation on
Earth to you, we terminate this right now"    -Jim Sitek

  richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                 rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (04/01/88)

Speaking of fonts, how about vectored fonts?

                                        Just a point to ponder...
                                                Anonymous :)

In article <8804010614.AA01418@jade.berkeley.edu> SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
>Speaking of fonts, how about vectored fonts?
>
>                                        Just a point to ponder...

Whole new ball of wax. I am concerned at this point with trying to get the
amiga system software to support the fonts we have now.

Bill Volk and crew are, I understand, working on this on BUX. If anybody
would care to fill us in on status, it would be most appreciated.

--
         "Ever since the world ended... I don't go out as much"
   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (04/04/88)

From article <3107@gryphon.CTS.COM>, by richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
" In article <8804010614.AA01418@jade.berkeley.edu> SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
" >Speaking of fonts, how about vectored fonts?
" >
" >                                        Just a point to ponder...
"
" Whole new ball of wax. I am concerned at this point with trying to get the
" amiga system software to support the fonts we have now.
" ...

You might be interested to know that my "hershtools" programs from
comp.sources.unix will produce vector font data in Amiga compatible
assembly language from the Hershey data base.  I tried out some fonts
produced this way in my PostScript interpreter, but the display is
quite slow for all but the simplest characters.

	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu