[comp.sys.amiga] Amy, Unix, and the Bridge Accelerator Card

tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM (Todd South) (04/05/88)

In Article: <156@kesmai.COM> dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) writes:

> The February 29 issue of InfoWorld had an interesting byline for
> a 80386 speed up board for IBM PC-compatible 8086, 8088, and 80286
> based computers from Applied Reasoning Corp. to begin shipping
> in several weeks.  Called PC-Elevator 386 (Version 2) it allows
> up to 13 meg of ram on board.  Lists at $1795.  The interesting
> thing is that specifically mentioned in the article is that
> it can be used to provide 80386 power to the Amiga 2000 on
> either the 8088 or 80286 bridgeboards.  As the 80286 bridgeboard
> isn't even out yet that particular claim may be somewhat suspect.

> Boy, imagine a system with the Commodore 68020
> board speeding up the Amiga side, a 80386 accelerated bridgeboard
> running a 386 Unix on the PC side.

> David Albrecht

Well, this is a point that many of you may have remembered seeing
previous mail from me on.  Let's assume that this configuration above
is plausible.  NOW, you have the 386 board running Xenix or (insert
your favorite PC Unix clone software here).  Would this allow the
Unix software to act as a multi-tasking environment too?

Specifically, if I have an Amiga 2000, the 386 board (Of course I would
fill it ALL the way up with 13 megs :-) ), and I take a multi-port card
(such as the DigiBoard COM/X Series 8 port board) and stick it in there
too, would I be able to run a multi-tasking system on the 386 side of
the house that would act totally transparent to the Amiga proper, or would
the system somehow be colliding constantly, and NOT allow the multi-tasking
Unix clones to play with the same drives/memory that the Amiga is using?

If this sounds a bit confusing, I quite agree.  But I would appreciate
some help on this one!

Todd South

 | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI ||| Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400bd |
 | Uucp: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}  nnnn  |
 |                 ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth      HHHH n|
 | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL           UUUU//|
 | INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM                             Hi Ma! \   / |