[comp.sys.amiga] MIDI in BASIC?

daq@hpesrgd.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) (03/10/88)

     I desperatley want to write a patch editor for my DX7II, but my basic
problem is I do not want to buy a C compiler.

     The Amiga does not let you run the RS-232 port at 32 kbaud in BASIC.

     I do have an external midi port hooked into the RS232, and what I want
to know is whether the interpreted basic is really too slow to interact with
the RS232 at 32 kbaud, or did Commodore just make an arbitrary decision not to
allow you to run the RS232 that fast from BASIC?

    Does any one know how to do that?   If not, are there some public domain
routines that will allow me to read midi input and store it to a binary
file, or to dump a binary file to midi output?  Actually, I really do not care
if they are not public domain.  I just do not want to pay $100 to $200  for
a patch editor/librarian.

         Thanks

         Doug Q.

In article <4040001@hpesrgd.HP.COM> daq@hpesrgd.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) writes:
>     I desperatley want to write a patch editor for my DX7II, but my basic
>problem is I do not want to buy a C compiler.

I suggest you write it in Draco. This is a shareware compiler that was
distributed on a couple of Fish Disks a while ago. It generates good
code and is low cost. Might be the solution to your problem. The
guy who wrote it, Chris Gray, is on the net. I've used both the CP/M
version and the Amiga version and think he did a great job. It's also
a great ace in the hole at bragging festivals that go something like :
	"Yeah, I program in C but I also wrote code in Pascal..."
	"Me too, but I write in Modula-2 sometime .."
	 [several iterations later ..]
	"OH YEAH, well I've written code in CDP1802 assembler!"
	"OH YEAH, well I've written code in Draco!"
	"What's Draco?"

--Chuck McManis

hcmutt@hpcllld.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) (03/12/88)

I would guess that Amiga BASIC is really just too slow to do what you want.
I think that you are in luck, anyway.  I think that there is a DX7 patch
editor on one of the Fish disks.

Harry Muttart

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/13/88)

In article <45151@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> 	"Yeah, I program in C but I also wrote code in Pascal..."
> 	"Me too, but I write in Modula-2 sometime .."
> 	"OH YEAH, well I've written code in CDP1802 assembler!"

	Wow. You too? You know something else... I *like* 1802 assembler.
Try to beat *that*, you slime... (no way, unless you're proficient in TECO
or something).
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Vilbiss Warren C De) (03/15/88)

In article <45151@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>                                                       .... It's also
>a great ace in the hole at bragging festivals that go something like :
>	 [several iterations later ..]
>	"OH YEAH, well I've written code in CDP1802 assembler!"

Gak!  And I thought I was the only person left on the face of the earth that
had heard of (and actually wrote code for) that lowly microprocessor! (in a

Sorry to digress from the original topic...

  - Mike Shawaluk

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (03/16/88)

Having bought my Amiga way back in 1985 :-), it came with ver 1.0
workbench and ABasiC interpreter from MetaComCo.  ABasiC isn't
brain dead about the serial port the way Microsoft Amigabasic is.
You can set up to the necessary 31.25 KBaud in preferences, and
ABasiC will take it.  You do need to get the aux.device (from
the Usenet archives), though as the normal serial.device blocks I/O
in 400 byte chunks.  MetaComCo also sells an aux.device with one of
their toolkits.

I wrote a few little hacks in ABasiC for my FB-01 and DX7s in
ABasiC.  It works.

--Bill

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/19/88)

In article <786@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>	Wow. You too? You know something else... I *like* 1802 assembler.
>Try to beat *that*, you slime... (no way, unless you're proficient in TECO
>or something).

So?  I know someone who has an 8008 PC (yes 8-0-0-8).  So what you
say?  The whole thing is implemented in discrete TTL, ie. no-scale
integration.

>-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/24/88)

In article <350@brambo.UUCP>, morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) writes:
> In article <786@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >	Wow. You too? You know something else... I *like* 1802 assembler.
> >Try to beat *that*, you slime... (no way, unless you're proficient in TECO
> >or something).

> So?  I know someone who has an 8008 PC (yes 8-0-0-8).  So what you
> say?  The whole thing is implemented in discrete TTL, ie. no-scale
> integration.

No fair bringin in friends. Besides, I've got the 4-0-0-4 manual right
here on my bookshelf. "MCS-4 Microcomputer Set Users Manual, March 1974".

And how about a multitasking real-time operating system on the 1802? (the
Amiga 200 :->?)
--

In article <848@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <350@brambo.UUCP>, morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) writes:
>> In article <786@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> >	Wow. You too? You know something else... I *like* 1802 assembler.
>> >Try to beat *that*, you slime... (no way, unless you're proficient in TECO
>> >or something).

$$ this, buddy.

>> So?  I know someone who has an 8008 PC (yes 8-0-0-8).  So what you
>> say?  The whole thing is implemented in discrete TTL, ie. no-scale
>> integration.
>
>No fair bringin in friends. Besides, I've got the 4-0-0-4 manual right
>here on my bookshelf. "MCS-4 Microcomputer Set Users Manual, March 1974".
>
>And how about a multitasking real-time operating system on the 1802? (the
>Amiga 200 :->?)

You guys are all worms. Chips, you've all got chips.  Ever wonder why
my postings are so plauged with spilling inaccuracies ?

Tubes.  One of the tubes goes and *poof* a 'T' will become an 'I'.

I dont even have an Amiga, just an LGP-8 that I wrote an Amiga emulator for...

--
..who come from long lines of soldiers,  | richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
whose destiny was fulfilled,             | ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax!gryphon!richard

jesup@pawl10.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/30/88)

In article <3003@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>You guys are all worms. Chips, you've all got chips.  Ever wonder why
>my postings are so plauged with spilling inaccuracies ?
>
>Tubes.  One of the tubes goes and *poof* a 'T' will become an 'I'.
>
>I dont even have an Amiga, just an LGP-8 that I wrote an Amiga emulator for...

Nah, REAL programmers use Burroughs B-300's.  20 power supplies (all
adjustable), 2K core memory, n-thousand gold-plated plug-in modules 1"x1"x2"
full of resistors, capacitors, and usually a single transistor.
Program through the front panel, not even in hex or octal, but in "base
burroughs", a combination of base 12 and base 10.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

nsw@cord.UUCP (N Weinstock) (03/30/88)

In article <590@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
>Nah, REAL programmers use Burroughs B-300's.  20 power supplies (all
>adjustable), 2K core memory, n-thousand gold-plated plug-in modules 1"x1"x2"
>full of resistors, capacitors, and usually a single transistor.
>Program through the front panel, not even in hex or octal, but in "base
>burroughs", a combination of base 12 and base 10.

Sounds great.  Where can I get one?  I'm looking to upgrade from an ST.

Heh heh, it's only a *joke* folks...

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/05/88)

I used to have an IBM 1401 computer sytem that a bank gave me, but
it was too wide to fit into my house which only had 35 inch wide
door frames (the smallest IBM cabinet was 36 inches wide).  I wound
up keeping it in my garage until some friends and I dismantled it
for scrap.  I also could not afford the 30 amps 208 volt three
phase power to run it.  All in all, it would have had the computing
power of an Apple II, and about 1/2 as much memory.  (It had the
extended core cabinet, yeilding a whopping 32K.)

We finally did get the 1402 read/punch to work and amused ourselves
by sending 800 cards/minute thruough the reader.  Talk about a
mess! Cards would fly everywhere when something went amiss.

It was also fun to vaporize paperclips with the 60 volt printer
magnet power supply.

--Bill