[comp.sys.amiga] Where to buy ApleII monochrome monitor

mjw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Witbrock) (04/05/88)

Since it appears that I'll have better luck getting a cheap Apple II
monitor to work with my amiga.....
where do you get cheap Apple II
monitors. I looked in the back of byte but all I could find was bloody IBM
stuff (come to think of it, that's all I could find in the front too).

Please send suggested companies to buy one from mail order by email.

If anyone kneos of a cheap source of A2090As, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks .
michael
--
Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu mjw@cs.cmu.edu                          \
US Mail: Michael Witbrock/ Dept of Computer Science                  \

raymund@sci.UUCP (Raymund Galvin) (04/06/88)

In article <1301@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, mjw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Witbrock) writes:

> Since it appears that I'll have better luck getting a cheap Apple II
> monitor to work with my amiga.....
> where do you get cheap Apple II
> monitors. ......

Magnavox sells a cheap ($85-90) monochrome composite monitor intended for use
with an appleII, C64, or atari 800.   The monitor is available with either
green or amber phosphor.   I have been using the green phosphor monitor and
would recommend it to anybody with an A2000.   (on a scale from 1 to 10,  the
commodore 1080 color monitor is a 3;  the Magnavox monochrome would be an 8.)
The green phosphor is longer persistence; thus, it looks great in interlace
(hires) mode.   Unfortunately,  the monitor looks like hell on an A1000.
Apparently, the color information in the A1000 signal seriously degrades
the picture quality.

ray galvin

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (04/07/88)

}}
}
}Magnavox sells a cheap ($85-90) monochrome composite monitor intended for use
}with an appleII, C64, or atari 800.   The monitor is available with either
}    (monitor description deleted)
}(hires) mode.   Unfortunately,  the monitor looks like hell on an A1000.
}Apparently, the color information in the A1000 signal seriously degrades
}the picture quality.
}
}ray galvin

I use a (very inexpensive) monochrome monitor with my A1000 as a supplement
and occasional replacement for my Sony 1311.  The picture is great, and the
text is much easier on the eyes than the corresponding text in color.

The trick to getting a good look out of the monochrome monitor is to set
Preferences' Workbench colors to grey-scale values, i.e., ones with equal
amounts of R, G, and B signals.  As long as the color sliders line up
vertically, the color should look good on a monochrome monitor (unbalanced
RGB colors tend to "swim").

I keep two versions of the system configuration file, one with my color
Preferences, and one with monochrome.  An Exec script can be made to easily
swap the two (by renaming).

phil stone