[comp.sys.amiga] Archives and distribution

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (04/03/88)

What we really need...

In msdos land, there is an archiver that compresses, packs everything
together, and is *executable*.  When you execute the archive, it unarchives
itself.  Kind of a binary shar file.

The advantage of this of course is that recipients don't have to have the
unarchiver to unarchive anything.  Take me, for example.  I haven't got Zoo.
This means that I suddenly can't use half the stuff that goes by here,
until I track down a copy of Zoo, learn to use Zoo, etc.

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Dave White) (04/04/88)

You're in luck!  Such a program happens to already exist for the Amiga.
I believe its called "pack", or some such...but it does exactly what you
were asking for.  It would be convenient if someone else could mail it to you,
because I'm not sure if I have it, but if you really want it, I can dig it
up somewhere.

				PIG
						|fireSIGN-->>>||

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/07/88)

In article <38077UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>What we really need...
>
>In msdos land, there is an archiver that compresses, packs everything
>together, and is *executable*.  When you execute the archive, it unarchives
>itself.  Kind of a binary shar file.

This already exists.  It's a shareware program called Pak, and it
creates executable self-extracting .pak files.

--
Eric Kennedy