[comp.sys.amiga] non-.info icons from WBench

adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) (03/29/88)

Why do I keep reading that

> is that Workbench only shows the files in a directory
> that end with .info!

Did you miss the section on this in your Amiga manual?  Did your dog eat it?
(Actually, I'm pretty sure that this didn't exist in 1.0 & 1.1 days...)

Here's what it says:

*NOTE*:  If your manual really doesn't discuss this, please try this on a
COPY of a disk, not an original.  Please!  A COPY!!

1) Click *once* on the icon for the disk whose files you'll want to see
   (or on the drawer containing the files if you don't want the whole disk).
2) Select "info" from the Workbench Screen menu.
3) Click on "Add"
4) In the "Tool Types" gadget, type:  OPT=a
5) Click on "Save"

Now, double click on that icon and it's window will open and display all
the normal icons.  Note that the bottom slider gadget may be way to the left
(depending upon how many non-.info files are in the disk/drawer).  Slide the
slider to the right to display all those tiny "default object" icons.  Enjoy!

--
ARPA:  !sloof@lirpa        *****  A little nonsense now and then  *****
MaBel: (277) 453-6657        *****  is relished by the wisest men.  *****

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/03/88)

In article <464@lamont.Columbia.edu>, adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) writes:
> > is that Workbench only shows the files in a directory
> > that end with .info!
> 1) Click *once* on the icon for the disk whose files you'll want to see
>    (or on the drawer containing the files if you don't want the whole disk).
> 2) Select "info" from the Workbench Screen menu.
> 3) Click on "Add"
> 4) In the "Tool Types" gadget, type:  OPT=a
> 5) Click on "Save"

I did all of this, several variations, many times, etc. etc. etc. and
it didn't work.  Is this unique to A500 or A2000, do you have a beta
1.3, do I have a bad case of insanity, or what?

Did you actually try this, or did you just read it in the manual?

> ARPA:  !sloof@lirpa        *****  A little nonsense now and then  *****
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????  Hmmm...
> MaBel: (277) 453-6657        *****  is relished by the wisest men.  *****

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (04/04/88)

In article <464@lamont.Columbia.edu> adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) writes:
> [ Handwave, handwave... ]
>1) Click *once* on the icon for the disk whose files you'll want to see
>   (or on the drawer containing the files if you don't want the whole disk).
>2) Select "info" from the Workbench Screen menu.
>3) Click on "Add"
>4) In the "Tool Types" gadget, type:  OPT=a
>5) Click on "Save"
>--
>ARPA:  !sloof@lirpa        *****  A little nonsense now and then  *****
>	 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>MaBel: (277) 453-6657        *****  is relished by the wisest men.  *****

	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

	I fell for the other Apr. 1 joke, too.  Gawd, I'm a sucker.....

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Old .signature used as inews filler _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 ________		 ___			Leo L. Schwab
	   \		/___--__		The Gullible Rube from Mars
  ___  ___ /\		    ---##\		ihnp4!ptsfa!well!ewhac
      /   X  \_____    |  __ _---))			..or..
     /   /_\--    -----+==____\ // \  _		well ---\
___ (   o---+------------------O/   \/ \	dual ----> !unicom!ewhac
     \     /		    ___ \_  (`o )	hplabs -/       ("AE-wack")
 ____ \___/			     \_/
	      Recumbent Bikes:			"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR
	    The _O_n_l_y Way To Fly!		anybody!  I'm just having fun."

avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Aaron Avery) (04/04/88)

>In article <464@lamont.Columbia.edu>, adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) writes:
> 2) Select "info" from the Workbench Screen menu.
> 4) In the "Tool Types" gadget, type:  OPT=a
>
> ARPA:  !sloof@lirpa        *****  A little nonsense now and then  *****
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
As there's been some subsequent discussion of this message, please note the
address noted above, and think date and backwards.

Aaron Avery (avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu)
	    ({seismo,caip,allegra,harvard,rutgers,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!avery)

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/07/88)

In article <1535@puff.cs.wisc.edu> avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Aaron Avery) writes:
>> 4) In the "Tool Types" gadget, type:  OPT=a
>> ARPA:  !sloof@lirpa        *****  A little nonsense now and then  *****
>As there's been some subsequent discussion of this message, please note the
>address noted above, and think date and backwards.

Not fair!  I didn't see the message until at least April 3rd!!

Well...I wanted it to be true...

--
Eric Kennedy