[comp.sys.amiga] Agnus & Denise's prettier sisters

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (03/28/88)

[Line eater trivial: What do you get when you add a week without a news-
feed to a week out sick?    Answer: 600+ articles in comp.sys.amiga!]

Now that the new Agnus and Denise chips have been comfirmed by C-A, can
we get some more facts on them?

The big question that has been raised by a local hardware guru is: do
the new chips trade colors for interlace, due to bandwidth limits? His
comment was that the new non-interlace mode would probably be limited to
16 colors at 320x400 and 8 colors at 640x400. Is this true for the new
chips, or do they have full color output in non-interlace?

Someone else commented that 1.4 will be required to support the
non-interlace modes. Is this true? How far off is 1.4? (Sheesh, 1.3 isn't
here yet, and he's already asking about 1.4! :-)

I assume that a multisync type monitor will be required for the
non-interlace mode. What happens when Joe Q. Public kicks it into
non-interlace mode on his 1080 monitor? Smoke 'n fire from the Amiga,
the monitor, both? Or is there any idiot-proofing here?

Are the new chips going to be a package deal as an official upgrade, or
will this be a "do it yourself" upgrade like adding EHB to a lesser A1000?

And of course the big questions: How soon? How much?   (Ditto on the A2620.)

You know if you guys keep coming up with new goodies like this, I'll never
have any spare cash! After Dave Haynie's description on the A2620, I'd buy
one today if I could. (Hint, hint! :-)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (04/04/88)

In article <770@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>You know if you guys keep coming up with new goodies like this, I'll never
>have any spare cash! After Dave Haynie's description on the A2620, I'd buy
>one today if I could. (Hint, hint! :-)
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

Hmm.  Where have I heard this story before, Blaine?  ;-) Why do you
think I finally decided to go out and look for a job?

--
Kent, the (impoverished) man from xanth.

"Computer - a mass occupying my desk with an unusual attraction for
money." (me)

"Sometimes I think mine is a black hole, located in the general
vicinity of my checkbook." (Blaine Gardner, in response.)

miner@dino.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) (04/08/88)

In article <770@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Now that the new Agnus and Denise chips have been comfirmed by C-A...
>do the new chips trade colors for interlace, due to bandwidth limits? His
>comment was that the new non-interlace mode would probably be limited to
>16 colors at 320x400 and 8 colors at 640x400.

The existing Amiga architecture does not have the bandwidth to support more
then 640x400x4 interlaced (+ overscan).   If there are to be some new chips
that support non-interlaced video, I don't think they could overcome this
limit. They would therefore be limited to 640x400x2 non-interlaced.  That
would provide only 4 colors.

As a side note, the flicker-fixer by Microway can display the full number of
non-interlaced colors because they provide an alternate, higher bandwidth,
video output.

Disclaimer:  I am a beta tester for Microway's flicker-fixer.

--
Rich miner@dino.ulowell.edu   617/452-5000x2693   UL-CPE Imaging Research Lab