[comp.sys.amiga] window gadgets

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (04/07/88)

So, there I was, late night, pushing intuitions windows around when the
more obvious way for the close, and drag gadgets hit me:

Instead of the entire top bar being the drag bar, and the close gadget
being so dangerous since a single hit trashes (er closes) your program
how about this :

Let the drag gadget be just the upper left corner. Put the close gadget
somewhere else (lower left), and make it require a double click.
And, here's a great idea: a single click on it iconifies the window. Ahhhh.
Here's my improved :-) (and non-Apple-lawsuitable) window:

 Drag            Depth     You get the idea. Note that if I don't want
+-+---------------+-+-+    a full title bar, I don't need one anymore.
|-|               | | |
+-+               +-+-+    The drag gadget needs a new symbol.
|                     |
|                     |    And, each of these gadgets should have a keyboard
+-+                 +-+    shortcut (left Amiga since it could be intuition
|o|                 | |    standard).
+-+-----------------+-+
 Stop             Resize
(double click!)
or iconify
(single click!)

Oops. I'm not happy with this either. How about putting that stop/iconify
gadget back on the top again, next to the drag gadget, since a single click
is safe. Or.....how about making this stuff USER DEFINABLE !
So if I like it this way, then the workbench and the rest of the kit 'n
caboodle follows suit. Sounds like X-windows....

Too bad, it's kind of too late to be tossing around ideas like this when
the real crux of things is to get IPC, serial device allocation and related
BIG concepts worked out instead. Just thought I'd toss it out before I
forgot about it. Maybe in AmigaDOS 2.0 ?

P.S.: Thanks for DNET Matt ! I'm a new convert ! It's VERY impressive.
   Gee, I also use DME all the time too. Thanks !
   Now (you knew I'd ask): how about workbench access (icons).
   I won't ask if anyone's considering a VMS port (OUCH!).
   I'm forced to use VMS at work, and my Amy500 there would sure like it.
   Maybe I'll work on that...
   It would even be useful for VAX to VAX communication (don't have a net).

Good night !
    ralph@atrp.media.mit.edu
    ...!mit-eddie!mit-atrp!ralph

>Instead of the entire top bar being the drag bar, and the close gadget
>being so dangerous since a single hit trashes (er closes) your program

	Ahhh... but only if you let go of the mouse button while the mouse
	is *over* the close gadget.   Being able to move the mouse away from
	the gadget before letting of of the button has saved me a couple of
	times, but in general, I don't have problems.

						-Matt

mjb@pnet02.cts.com (Martin Brown) (04/08/88)

I thought H-P's WAVE was user definable. Lot of good it did them.
                             - mjb -

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!mjb
INET: mjb@pnet02.cts.com

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/09/88)

In article <2251@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@atrp.media.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) writes:
> Drag            Depth     You get the idea. Note that if I don't want
>+-+---------------+-+-+    a full title bar, I don't need one anymore.
>|-|               | | |
>+-+               +-+-+    The drag gadget needs a new symbol.
>|                     |
>|                     |    And, each of these gadgets should have a keyboard
>+-+                 +-+    shortcut (left Amiga since it could be intuition
>|o|                 | |    standard).
>+-+-----------------+-+
> Stop             Resize
>(double click!)
>or iconify
>(single click!)

huh!

Will wonders never cease!

This is very very similar to the arrangement of icons on Unix PC windows.
The "drag" icon is in the upper-left and is a pair of arrows, one pointing
to the upper-left, one to the lower-right.  The kill-window icon is in the
lower left and is a big X inside a box.  The resize icon is in the lower-right
and is another double arrow in the same orientation as the drag icon, but
is embedded in a double box arrangement.  There's a large box with a smaller
box anchored at the upper left of the larger box.

The top-right has a help icon rather than a depth arranger icon.

There isn't an "iconify" idea for windows on Unix PC's so that doesn't
apply here.

When I first got my Unix PC I liked playing mousie with the computer, but
I eventually learned the keyboard equivalents and haven't gone back to
using the mouse.  But then it's a text oriented machine and therefore
doesn't have as much need for a mouse.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET