[comp.sys.amiga] Jim Goodnow's REZ

Well, it looks like Jim Goodnow II did it again.  Last night I downloaded REZ
beta V0.3 and I now have a resident compiler, assembler and linker.  I was
spoiled by the loading time of the A2090+ST251, but now I am super spoiled.
Run them once and then you don't have to ever load them again.  Run multiple
concurrent compiles and only 1 copy of the compiler stays in memory. Note that
the arc file REZ.arc contains a "patch" program that makes cc (v 3.4 or 3.6)
"sharable".

Kudos to Jim again.  Even if you don't like debuggers :-), you should get this
one. And it is free!

-- Marco
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (04/07/88)

In article <8149@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> Well, it looks like Jim Goodnow II did it again.  Last night I downloaded REZ
> beta V0.3 and I now have a resident compiler, assembler and linker.
>
> Kudos to Jim again.  Even if you don't like debuggers :-), you should get this
> one. And it is free!

Yep ... REZ is pretty darn nice!  Jim did a presentation of how it works at
a recent BADGE meeting ... it does some, uh, "interesting" things behind
AmigaDOS's back ... things best not discussed if children are present :-).

I've only found a couple of real problems with it, and have reported them to
Jim:

  1 - If you "rez" Execute, it kills the Dillon/Drew shell (v2.07m).  Doesn't
      hang or anything nasty ... just causes "shell" to terminate.  May
      cause other problems, though ... I didn't leave it "rez'd".

  2 - Shell itself doesn't work properly if *it* is rez'd.  No big deal ... I
      was just trying to see what I could and couldn't rez.

  3 - If you rez v3.1 of NewZAP, the S/E/F/B gadgets in the bottom center of
      it's window "break up" (get trashed).

All in all, a job well done ... thanks, Jim!

BTW, I sent "rez" to the moderators at purdue about a month or so ago, along
with "amicron" (v2.4), all of the ARP v1.1 developer stuff, "viewboot"
(v1.01) boot-block viewer and virus checker, and a few other things.

/kim

P.S.  I suppose this means that we need a "resident" standard now.  Lesee,
      there's Jim's "REZ", ARP's "resident", Bill Hawes' "resi", and the
      "Resident" command from CBM that's supposed to be part of 1.3.  Oh yes,
      and the *old* resident command from 1.2 Beta/Gamma ... :-) :-)

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

conn@stratus.UUCP (Avery Shealey) (04/08/88)

Could someone please send me a new copy of this? My copy was damaged somehow.

Thanks,
Avery

Avery Shealey
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:  conn@stratus.gatech.edu	 CSNet:  conn%stratus@gatech
UUCP:  ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ihnp4}!gatech!stratus!conn

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/08/88)

In article <26894@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>P.S.  I suppose this means that we need a "resident" standard now.  Lesee,
>      there's Jim's "REZ", ARP's "resident", Bill Hawes' "resi", and the
>      "Resident" command from CBM that's supposed to be part of 1.3.  Oh yes,
>      and the *old* resident command from 1.2 Beta/Gamma ... :-) :-)

The 1.2 and 1.3 versions of Resident are compatible :-)
(as is the MCC Shell version)

Actually, we don't really need compatibility between the user level
'resident' type commands...as long as they work together, who really
cares what list they are stored on in memory ?

If, however, it takes work on the part of the programmer (special
entry points, etc) then we do need a standard.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

	Works great, except my Aztec (3.4a) Compiled binaries are listed as
"Lattice C 4.0".  Good job Jim!

					-Matt

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (04/10/88)

In article <3595@cbmvax.UUCP>, andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
> In article <26894@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> >P.S.  I suppose this means that we need a "resident" standard now.
> >
> >                                                         :-) :-)
>
> The 1.2 and 1.3 versions of Resident are compatible :-)
> (as is the MCC Shell version)

I hope you mean "backwardly compatible", and not "functionally compatible",
Andy :-)   There were some, uh, "rather interesting side-effects" with the
old 1.2 thingie ...

> Actually, we don't really need compatibility between the user level
> 'resident' type commands...as long as they work together, who really
> cares what list they are stored on in memory ?

Oh, I was just being a little sarcastic, WRT the ongoing, and seemingly
endless discussions about IPC, and a couple other things.  Hence the double
smiley ...

On the other hand, *I'm* not going to be writing a "tell me everything
that's resident" program.  Could also be interesting to see which res'er
list wins when you make the same program resident in more than one way.
I suppose a user that does such a brash thing will ultimately get what
they deserve!

Hmmmm ... along these lines, I wonder what'll happen when I have "resi" make
"rez" resident, and then make "resi" "resident" ...?  (Is this akin to a "make"
programmer making make make make make make?)

Yeah, I know ... I'm more than a little bit "off the wall" today ...

> If, however, it takes work on the part of the programmer (special
> entry points, etc) then we do need a standard.

Agreed.  Does it ("resident", that is)?

> "Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

This line goes in my quotes file!

/kim