[comp.sys.amiga] animate-3d public domain programs

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (04/07/88)

	I have animate-3d and I'm really impressed with what it
can do.  In the docs it sez they have released a few programs to the
public domain.  NewMovie allows you to view an animation and can
be found on the 2nd data disk.  The other ones I want, I can't find.

	Basically, 2 programs which will let you pull apart an
animation into seperate iff frames, and the counterpart to put
the frames back together into an animation file.  I want to edit
the single frames for a few fine details and effects you can't
model in sculpt and reanimate them.

	Does anyone know if these programs exist, are public domain,
and if so, send me a copy?

Thanx in advance,
--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

"I say, why are those buildings swaying like trees?"

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (04/07/88)

In article <937@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:

>can do.  In the docs it sez they have released a few programs to the
>public domain.  NewMovie allows you to view an animation and can
>be found on the 2nd data disk.  The other ones I want, I can't find.
>	Basically, 2 programs which will let you pull apart an
>animation into seperate iff frames, and the counterpart to put
>the frames back together into an animation file.  I want to edit
>
>	Does anyone know if these programs exist, are public domain,
>and if so, send me a copy?
>Thanx in advance,
>jon wesener

Ditto, send me a copy or post to .binaries. I know movie 1.3 is PD or shareW
but I haven't been able to lay my hands on it, I'm still stuck with 1.0 :-(
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (04/08/88)

In article <719@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>In article <937@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:
>>	Basically, 2 programs which will let you pull apart an
>>animation into seperate iff frames, and the counterpart to put
>>the frames back together into an animation file.  I want to edit
>>
>>	Does anyone know if these programs exist, are public domain,
>>and if so, send me a copy?
>>jon wesener

Animation:Flipper (from Hash Enterprises) will let you pack a bunch of
IFF pics together into an animation file.  Currently, it saves in our
own format which is a little different than ANIM (not a lot though), but
I've already made the changes to it to save in ANIM.  Martin is making
some other changes to it, so I don't know when it'll be out, but I'm sure
it'll be RSN :-).  Sorry, this program isn't Public Domain.  As for a
program that pulls apart an ANIM file into IFF files, I don't know about any
specific program that does this, but I know how I'd do it.  You could
probably use Grabbit (as long as your player program can freeze on a frame,
oh yeah ShowANIM doesn't do that).  Good Luck!

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Weird, the Weird go Professional

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (04/10/88)

In article <937@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:
>	Basically, 2 programs which will let you pull apart an
>animation into seperate iff frames, and the counterpart to put
>the frames back together into an animation file.  I want to edit
>the single frames for a few fine details and effects you can't
>model in sculpt and reanimate them.
>jon wesener

As I mentioned earlier, Animation:Flipper will let you put IFF pictures
together into an animation file.  But, now that your original message
finally found its way to this machine (funny how articles sometimes
propagate :-), I may have some more relevant info for you.  We have a
couple of products in the works that will let you do what you are talking
about.  One is called Animation:Touchup that will let you edit individual
frames of a prerendered animation without having to unpack it first.  There
is a catch, it has to be in our format, since we save each compressed frame
in its own file.  Wait, before you give up, there's still hope.  I'm
working on a product called Animation:Converter which will convert animation
files from any format to any other format.  We intend to support ANIM,
Apprentice, Byte-by-Byte, Silver and Forms-In-Flight formats.  But we are
having a little trouble getting Byte-by-Byte to cooperate.  They haven't
been very friendly about releasing their format.
	We have a lot of products in mind (actually in Martin's mind) that
will be for manipulating and enhancing animations.  And with the Converter
product, you can start with anyone else's product, or go back and forth,
taking atvantage of the strengths of the carious packages to make the best
possible animations.